Starcraft Mod? Starcraft Mod!

WildWeazel

Carthago Creanda Est
Yes, I know, it's been brought up before and been shot down every time. But I think the paranoia is unfounded.

Taken from Commodore's Warcraft Mod thread:

Hikaro Takayama said:
Actually, I just checked Blizzard's legal page (at www.blizzard.com) and I believe this is allowable under their "Fan Art" clause, which means that as long as the graphics are made by you, and it is not distributed commercially, then it should be okay.

Commodore said:
Alright, guys, I read the legal page on Blizzard's website and there is nothing in it that states we can't do what we're doing. Seeing as they don't have an e-mail address for their legal department and I don't feel like sending a letter to them, I say we go ahead with the mod. Don't worry, I'll take responsibility for the consequences since I'm the one who started this project . If you want to know how I feel just read my sig.

For reference, Commodore's sig reads, "The desire for saftey stands against every great and noble enterprise."

So what am I saying? I'm saying that according to Blizzard's legal FAQ, which I read myself, a Starcraft-based mod, consisting purely of fan art, not commercially distributed, falls within Blizzard's legal limitations.

That being said, I expect to find a Starcraft mod under development when I return. :smug:

Maybe I'll work on a Starcraft mod next after I finish the Warcraft one, it all depends on how I feel, how much support will still be needed for the WC mod, and how much free time I have overall ;) .

Glad to see someone who's jumping on my bandwagon, maybe together we can shake off the fear in this community of doing Blizzard based mods :goodjob: . PM me and we'll talk about the possibility of a Starcraft mod.

Might be fun, but may reiterate the "consisting purely of fan art" part? No one on the forums has made anything resembling a zerg or protoss.
By the way, in the unlikely event that any company would have a problem with a fan-made mod, they can go screw themselves. That would be like nike taking legal action against someone for wearing "swoosh" on their hat. Its free advertising.

Well, I have a free (not Blizzard created) Zerg Hydralisk model for Poser 5......

Top Bottom