Civilization II Unlimited

Thanks english edward. Not sure HOW in the world I missed this thread but I downloaded it and it works great. Can finnaly see my population!

Wow, this is pretty awesome!! Oh yea, if anyone is having trouble finding the download attachment like I did check on the bottom of page 2 in Elys post there. A pity about the issue with changing the city max... that would have been pretty sweet :-/. Ah well, still a lot to work with!

Attached are the latest dev versions :)

I've added Global Max Cities and enable Global Max Units, as well as fixing some stuff for the Events memory.:nuke:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has the version of Civ2 Unlimited referred to here. I gather that the unlimited cities feature was removed in a later update, the version of the file which is now linked from this thread, as it was buggy and couldn't comprehend trade routes and unit maintenance for >255 cities. My primary focus in playing Civ2, however, is terraforming (transforming) every scrap of land and constructing enormous railway networks in relative peace, ever aiming for a greater population. I always play on bloodlust, switch to Communism at the first opportunity and never bother with trade routes at all (I realise this is probably anathema to the hardcore democracy-and-trade fans out there!) I would quite happily garrison my extra cities with units from the more established settlements and 'build' naught but improvements and capitalisation. So many of my games have been cut short in their prime, as I see little point in playing when there is no prospect of a new city. I dread the bleak 'Too many cities!' notice upon pressing 'b.' In short, though I'm aware of the likelihood that I've misinterpreted this glimmer of hope and that the fix is completely unworkable, as yet another epic game edges closer to ending anticlimactically I feel compelled to enquire whether said version is still in existence somewhere. Whilst I don't know if the venerable Elys still frequents this forum, I do hope that someone out there has the file and that they see fit to make it available to me. Many thanks in advance, and keep up the good work to all those who put so much effort into squeezing more life out of what is, though I'm loath to admit it, an old and defunct game.

Kind Regards,

J. A. Conway

PS. Sorry for the 'bump.'

I do, actually. I've got development versions dated 11/02/2007 and 13/02/2007. I was testing the increased memory for events at the time. That turned out to be buggy and was subsequently removed. I've attached the latter version. Use at own risk. I imagine it'll foul up trade routes and units' home cities. It'd be interesting to see what happens if you build a wonder in one of the 'extra' cities. It might appear in another city altogether; wonders are also assigned a city number - naturally it's also a single byte.

Attachments

• Civ2Unlimited_Dev_20070213.zip
    225.8 KB · Views: 539
Many thanks Catfish; I'm amazed at how quickly I received a positive response. To be honest I wasn't holding out much hope. CivFanatics truly is the greatest civ resource known to man! I have to rush out now but I'll let you know about the wonders.

I'm amazed I still had the files.

Catfish, I have just gotten the Civilization Chronicles with Civ2, and it looks like it might be as much fun to play as Civ3. I downloaded the Civ2 Unlimited file on the bottom of page 2, and I just would like to confirm that it does not have the maximum cities bug. I normally use Macs, but I did buy an inexpensive Windows box for Civ3 editing, and I plan on play Civ2 on it as well.

I downloaded the Civ2 Unlimited file on the bottom of page 2, and I just would like to confirm that it does not have the maximum cities bug.
Which 'bug' would that be? I assume you're referring to the version in post #40: Elys' final release (I use the 40 posts/page option, so that would make it the bottom of page 1 :p). The number of cities is still capped at 255 (give or take) in that version. That's the version people should be using. The one that I attached in post #68 is a test version; the cap has been lifted to 768 cities, but it's buggy.

Which 'bug' would that be? I assume you're referring to the version in post #40: Elys' final release (I use the 40 posts/page option, so that would make it the bottom of page 1 :p). The number of cities is still capped at 255 (give or take) in that version. That's the version people should be using. The one that I attached in post #68 is a test version; the cap has been lifted to 768 cities, but it's buggy.

I should have referenced the post number, but you are correct. The version that I downloaded was the one in post #40. I suspect that you might get more interest in some of the earlier games with the release of the Civilization Chronicles. I do most of my playing on my Mac laptop, but I may move up the purchase for my wife of a new MacBook for her so that I can use it for both MacOS and Windows games.

Did the Civ2 Unlimited patch overcome the global max units from 2048 to 32000 problem in the end?

I have read through the thread but I am in a bit of a hurry and wasn't sure.

If this works with MGE Hotseat games it will be a godsend for the PBEM gamg at Civ Webring. We regularly reach the 2048 limit and then have to follow an elaborate set of house rules to keep the games going. 32,000 units would be more than enough to stop this problem ever happening again!

Do I just put the new Civ2Unlimited.exe in the MGE folder?

Would every player in a Multiplayer game need to open Civ2 MGE from this .exe?

Can we apply this to .hot games that are already in progress?

I'm very excited to see this :eek: Great work :goodjob:

Did the Civ2 Unlimited patch overcome the global max units from 2048 to 32000 problem in the end?

Yes, it did overcome the unit limit.

To the best of my knowledge no one has ever meaningfully
overcome the 7 civilisations or the 255 city limits.

However I have only played it on ToT and not Multi-Player;
so I cannot answer the rest of your questions.

I think it must work with multiplayer games as there is an instruction for everyone to pick the same global options.

I am VERY impressed with this and it will make our hotseat multiplayer games run so much more smoothly. The extra money will also be useful as 30,000 odd was always very low!

Well done Elys :goodjob:

Top Bottom