Played all civ's, but civil 2, beginners tips?

Snovvdog

Warlord
As title really, I've played civilization original, civ 3 + ptw + conq exp. packs, civ4 + warlords, and can't seem to get into civ 2...

The graphics are a bit unclear but I guess ill have to get used to it, but tbh I prefer civilization 1's graphics above it, may not be that advanced, but at least it's easy to 1st time recognize stuff...

anyhow are there any things I should do first for my 1st game, and what is different tothe original civ in civ2?

Welcome to CFC, Snovvdog. CivII is an evolutionary development of the original Civ, with improvements in combat, technology and diplomacy. If you have a copy of the CivII Manual it is helpful to look through it, and some have benefitted from using the Tutorial to step through the start of a game. I cannot remember a "What's New" thread anywhere, but there are starter threads in the General Discussions Index as well as a thread on Tips & Tricks at the top of this forum. If you are used to Civ3 or 4 it will seem different, as they are not so much evolutions as redesigns of the original. Try a few games at the lowest difficulty level, just trying to either conquer all the other civs or build a spaceship, then start turning up the difficulty levels. The main differences as you go up are unhappiness in your civ's cities and more aggressive AI and Barb behaviours. It may seem like the AI can build things faster when you get over King level, and Barb uprisings will have lots more units involved. As you play you will learn to research and build faster so that you can handle the higher difficulty levels.

If there is one particular thread I'd suggest before a first game it would be "Brand New Grandma..." here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=64002

As title really, I've played civilization original, civ 3 + ptw + conq exp. packs, civ4 + warlords, and can't seem to get into civ 2...

The graphics are a bit unclear but I guess ill have to get used to it, but tbh I prefer civilization 1's graphics above it, may not be that advanced, but at least it's easy to 1st time recognize stuff...

anyhow are there any things I should do first for my 1st game, and what is different tothe original civ in civ2?

Main difference between Civ 1 and Civ 2 is that units can get damaged.
So combat is more predictable. Less likely to lose a battleship to lucky
spearman, mountain ithmus spearman can be worn down by attacks.

good wonders to build include leonardos workshop, pyramids, statue of liberty, adam smiths trading company, apollo program and js bachs cathedral

those are the ones that i will never not build

Top Bottom