Unhappiness for units killed?

vahe

Chieftain
I think it makes a lot of sense: happiness should decrease when units are killed. I do not know why this hasn't been implemented in CIV, but this is very common sense? Maybe not implemented purely to compensate for the poor AI tactics and its "thinking" limitations?

I think there should be unhappiness when your units are killed, and there should be social policies/religious perks to control the rate of this unhappiness and for how long it lasts for.

What do you think?

That'd make dire military situations worse. Further penalising those with a weak military, such that they have a harder time recovering from defeat on the battlefield, is not generally a good thing. It does seem intuitive that there'd be some sort of happiness hit for losing soldiers, but perhaps it should only apply to losing soldiers in enemy territory, so as only to penalise victors? But even then, expanding is probably hard enough on happiness as it is.

I think it makes a lot of sense: happiness should decrease when units are killed. I do not know why this hasn't been implemented in CIV, but this is very common sense? Maybe not implemented purely to compensate for the poor AI tactics and its "thinking" limitations?

I think there should be unhappiness when your units are killed, and there should be social policies/religious perks to control the rate of this unhappiness and for how long it lasts for.

What do you think?

If the unhappiness had a statute of limitations, sure.

I mean, if you are in the Future era, do you still want to be dinged for losing that Warrior to barbarians in the Ancient era?

However, I'd take this idea one step further, given historical precedent. When particularly reputable units are destroyed, like how Bismark sunk HMS Hood, it affects national sentiment far more than a less reputable unit going down.

Thus, I'd increase the unhappiness hit dependent on the experience level of the unit lost.

What do you think?

That would depend on Era and numbers of troops killed. In older times you could get away with tens of thousands getting slaughtered and the people would just have to accept it. chances are they wouldn`t even know the real figure slaughtered due to the power and lack of information from the State.

In more modern times with the power of media and communications it would be much harder to keep such numbers of deaths quiet (although they still try) and people in richer, more prosperous Civs get much more upset. So yes, in Modern times there should be a happiness drop if hundreds or a thousand men are killed.

I don`t know how many men one modern Civ unit is, but surely it must represent a few hundred or even a thousand men?

I don`t know how many men one modern Civ unit is, but surely it must represent a few hundred or even a thousand men?

If Civ V's formula for troop count is anything like the formula for Civ IV, modern units have more soldiers than older units.

Meaning that a Crossbowman unit is going to have more soldiers than a Composite Bowman unit and both units are each going to have more soldiers than an Archer unit.

Top Bottom