Preparing for a war.

Skyline796

Chieftain
So..I'm restless at this point. I want to start a war with my neighbour who I have declared as a friend many times just to keep him off my back. He's really annoying and I want to get rid of him. How do I begin? How should I act if I want him gone, but don't want other civilizations to think im a barbarian and defriend me?

If you want to avoid adverse AI reactions, don't denounce him or DOW him until your DOF expires (50 turns on standard speed--which seems like an ETERNITY).

Best case is you can infuriate him to the point he DOWs you. There are various threads discussing how to get the AI to DOW you (grab his land with a citadel, settle a new city in his face, denounce his best friend, friend his worst enemy, etc.), but nothing is guaranteed to work (particularly if you have a powerful military that is itching to wipe him off the map--he probably knows it and isn't stupid enough to give you a free pass).

So declaring war on him wouldn't be such a good idea?
Also what do I get from capturing his cities? Money? What can I do with his cities?

If you want to avoid adverse AI reactions, don't denounce him or DOW him until your DOF expires (50 turns on standard speed--which seems like an ETERNITY).

Best case is you can infuriate him to the point he DOWs you. There are various threads discussing how to get the AI to DOW you (grab his land with a citadel, settle a new city in his face, denounce his best friend, friend his worst enemy, etc.), but nothing is guaranteed to work (particularly if you have a powerful military that is itching to wipe him off the map--he probably knows it and isn't stupid enough to give you a free pass).
Where can I go to check how many turns the DoF has left before it expires? Thanks in advance

The backstabber's denunciation cancels your DOF, so you are free to smack him into next Tuesday. Denounce him back and then DOW him when your troops are in position. To avoid potential genocidal maniac warmonger diplo penalties, consider leaving him with one inconsequential, ice-bound city to occupy as he considers the error of his ways (the diplo penalty for eliminating a civ is not automatic, but not worth risking either).

As for what to do with his cities, when you conquer them do a quick assessment of their strategic value. If they have some luxes (even duplicates are OK, since you can sell/trade them), decent buildings left after the sacking (I've gotten some that still had universities, coliseums and such) or have other strategic merit (blocking position, etc.), they are probably worth keeping.

If it's not worth keeping, immediately raze it. If it's worth keeping, puppet it. Once the citizens cease revolting (1 turn per surviving pop), the city will go on gold focus and will eventually provide good amounts of gold and, to a lesser extent, culture and science. TP as many of the food tiles as you can to limit growth and preserve happiness. If it's a capital city and looks like it would be productive city, you can annex it (after the citizens cease rebelling and you can rush-buy a courthouse with gold), but annexing will cause your policy costs to rise (as with any other non-puppet city).

EDIT: One other thought on his last city; requires the existence of one of your allied CSs next to his last city and the timing can be tricky, but you can beat that last city's health down to 0 and then let your allied CS deliver the coup de grâce (only done it once in my games, but it was fun). No civ-elimination diplo penalty for you, even though you would have orchestrated it

As far as declaring war you can declare on him as well as eliminate the CIV without getting warmonger penalties. Really depends on your relations with the other Civs.

If he has good diplomatic relations and you do not, you will likely get denounced. However, if you have solid diplomatic relationships with the other Civs you should be able to DOW and eliminate him without the warmonger penalty showing up.

So one thing to do prior to declaring is ensuring you have good longstanding relationships with the other Civs.

Holy donkey, I'm being denouced by Austria and Greece now. What should I do? How do I keep my friends and make Germany feel alone now? EDIT: Oh man, I'm so starting to get nervous. A friend now says he has respect for Greece, who just denounced me. I'm running out of reliable friends.

Why are you worried about not having any Friends? Just take out your Neighbor, then take out those others. Don't think of other Civs as friends, just as potential victims.

BTW, even if you want friends, there's no such thing as a 'reliable' friend in Civ V.

Cheers.

Interesting. I'd advise patience. Don't declare war on Germany. Odds are in your favor that they will declare on you.

If you have spies, place one in their capitol. All results will be good. Tech steal is good. Knowing they are plotting against you is good. Knowing they are plotting against a neighbor is even better as you can share it and strengthen diplomatic ties.

If Greece is closer to Germany than they are to you, you may have a chance to build good relations with them for a time. May even ask them what they want to declare on Germany...or Austria. If they are within striking distance of you I would consider them a lost cause, in which case I'd focus on....

Austria could be interesting. I can see a scenario where Germany and Greece gang up on you or Austria. Continue saber rattling at Germany He will go to war with someone. If you build a huge military he may choose Austria. Same for Greece. The key will be trying to pull Austria in to your side.

So..I'm restless at this point. I want to start a war with my neighbour who I have declared as a friend many times just to keep him off my back. He's really annoying and I want to get rid of him. How do I begin? How should I act if I want him gone, but don't want other civilizations to think im a barbarian and defriend me?

Get into a defensive pact with his enemy(s). Or get a bunch of gold and reduce your troops so that he will attack you and then buy an army real quick...

Or you could start making demands, that might help...

Why are you worried about not having any Friends? Just take out your Neighbor, then take out those others. Don't think of other Civs as friends, just as potential victims.

BTW, even if you want friends, there's no such thing as a 'reliable' friend in Civ V.

Cheers.

I don't actually care about them, I just want them to stay away from me when I'm dealing with other civilizations.

Interesting. I'd advise patience. Don't declare war on Germany. Odds are in your favor that they will declare on you.

If you have spies, place one in their capitol. All results will be good. Tech steal is good. Knowing they are plotting against you is good. Knowing they are plotting against a neighbor is even better as you can share it and strengthen diplomatic ties.

If Greece is closer to Germany than they are to you, you may have a chance to build good relations with them for a time. May even ask them what they want to declare on Germany...or Austria. If they are within striking distance of you I would consider them a lost cause, in which case I'd focus on....

Austria could be interesting. I can see a scenario where Germany and Greece gang up on you or Austria. Continue saber rattling at Germany He will go to war with someone. If you build a huge military he may choose Austria. Same for Greece. The key will be trying to pull Austria in to your side.

We're both on the American continent. Greece, Austria are over the ocean.

Well that sucks.

Alexander is one of the hearty few who won't let oceans get in the way of conquest, but if he has targets on his continent he'll go after them first.

New plan, more patience. Still see if Greece will declare on Germany. Highly unlikely but worth a shot.

Germany will declare war on you, especially if you're his only on continent neighbor. So just wait it out.

You will take diplo hits from Greece and Austria, but Greece will eventually attack someone at some point, which means you'll make friends of his enemies. Austria may switch sides at that point. Overall it will take time for these things to play out. I wouldn't denounce Austria, but would denounce Germany. Wait for Greece to start warmongering then denounce them.

Should also mention that Alexander can be a great ally. Just understand that if you are his friend, you won't be friends with too many Civs on his continent.

Make as many friends as possible. Give free gifts. Try not to be bad to anyone else.
Denounce him. Hopefully your friends will concur.
Get a defensive pact with someone (just in case he attacks you first).
Form a battle\war strategy.
Get your units out and ready.
Attack hard and together.

Top Bottom