List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

Murphy613

Prince
This is a list of Civilizations V animals and fantasy units I've found on Civfanatics. If you know of any (fully functional) Civ V fantasy units not listed here, please, please post a link to them so that I can add them.
(Most Civ V fantasy units can now be found on the Fantasy Unit section of the downloads forum.)

This list currently contains links to 75 fantasy units.

Animals
Drake - black, green and red
Drake - white
Dragon
Eagles and Ravens
Griffon - white/brown
Griffon - black and brown
Kraken
Kraken2
Lion
Sandworm
Scorpion
Spider
Spiders2
Tree Ent
Tyranid (Insectoid Creature)
Warg (Wolflike Animal)
Werewolf
Wolf

Angels
Angel Spearman

Elves
Elven Archer
Elven Archer2
Elven Heavy Swordsmen
Elven Horse Archer
Elven Horseman
Elven Longswordsman
Elven Musketman
Elven Spearman
Elven Swordsman
Elven Warrior
Fyrdwell (Reindeer-mounted Elves)

Goblins/Ogres/Orcs
Goblin Archer
Goblin Arquebusier
Goblin Bowman
Goblin Marksman
Goblin Crossbowman
Goblin Hunter
Goblin Scout
Goblin Settlers
Goblin Spider Rider
Goblin Warrior
Goblin Warg Rider
Goblin Wolf Rider
Goblin Worker
Lizardman - Warrior & Spearman
Ogre
Orcish Axeman
Orcish Axeman (Warhammer)
Orcish Berserker
Orcish Champion
Orcish Longswordman
Orcish Maceman
Orcish Settler
Orcish Spearman
Orcish Swordsman
Orcish Warrior
Orcish Warg Rider
Orcish Wolf Rider
Orcish Worker
Stoneskin Ogre

Humans
Assassin
Bird Rider
Chaos Marauder
Druid
Ox-Drawn Cart
Wizard Pack
Wizard (Gandalf Styled)

Humanoid Monsters
Centaur Swordsman
Drider (Spider Person)
Great Unclean One (Giant Creepy Demon)
Minotaur
Naga/Lamia (Snake Monster)
Rock Golem
Storm Giant

Undead
Skeleton Swordsman
Vampire Swordsman
Wraith
Zombie

Couple more old ones by Kwadjh:

White Drake
Assassin

I haven't tried these so I don't know how well they work in game.

Skajaquada also did a big unit dump a long time ago for his uncompleted WH40K mod. Some of the units would be nice to have, like the red-armored orcs and the big demon thingy:
Spoiler :
I haven't tried these but I thought I read somewhere that the animations didn't work.

Skajaquada also did a big unit dump a long time ago for his uncompleted WH40K mod. Some of the units would be nice to have, like the red-armored orcs and the big demon thingy:
Spoiler :
I haven't tried these but I thought I read somewhere that the animations didn't work.

I've gotten some of the Warhammer models working (mostly the Imperial Guard infantry and some of the tanks, to use for a near-future mod I made for myself), but the big problem I ran into is the animations. I can get the models themselves working fine with xml, but Skajaquada defined a bunch of unique effects for the models, such as when they fire their guns, and I haven't found any way to dynamically add these new effects to the game. Without them, the tanks go through the firing animations, but there's no muzzle blasts, nor do they explode when they're destroyed... The only way I've found to add them into the game is to add them specifically into the BNW effects file.

I've been considering using them for a sci-fi-ish civ, so I've been meaning to start up a thread at some point to ask if anyone knows how a mod could dynamically add effects...

Spoiler :

I've gotten some of the Warhammer models working (mostly the Imperial Guard infantry and some of the tanks, to use for a near-future mod I made for myself),
Do the units work other than the cannon effects? I think that only a few of these are suitable for fantasy, probably exactly the ones that you didn't want for your near-future mod. Do you know combat animations work for the big demon?

Excellent thread, if it's updated regularly it will be very helpful to me :)

I'd suggest a slight change in the categorization - instead of "Beasts" and "Monsters", where the distinction between them is not clear to me, there should be three categories:

Animals - anything that looks like a real life animal (size matters not, so giant spiders should be here)
Monsters - any non-humanoid fantastic creatures (Griffon, White Drake, Ent*)
Humanoid Monsters - Orcs, Ogres, Goblins etc. (including things like Wolf Riders)

* The Ent can be viewed as a humanoid, but I think it's better if it's in the Monsters category

Also a small nitpick - the last unit on the list is spelled Fyrdwell, not Frydwell :)

Excellent thread, if it's updated regularly it will be very helpful to me :)

I'd suggest a slight change in the categorization - instead of "Beasts" and "Monsters", where the distinction between them is not clear to me, there should be three categories:

Animals - anything that looks like a real life animal (size matters not, so giant spiders should be here)
Monsters - any non-humanoid fantastic creatures (Griffon, White Drake, Ent*)
Humanoid Monsters - Orcs, Ogres, Goblins etc. (including things like Wolf Riders)

* The Ent can be viewed as a humanoid, but I think it's better if it's in the Monsters category

Also a small nitpick - the last unit on the list is spelled Fyrdwell, not Frydwell :)

I'll be checking for new units every couple of days and updating accordingly, but if someone tells me about a new unit I'll add it right away. I'm really happy this will help you.:)
Thanks for your suggestions, I've implemented all of them.

PS - I have it on good authority that there will be a Vampire Swordsman on this list pretty soon.;)

That's nice, a Vampire will be a good thing for my Undead civ :) But I (and I believe other fantasy modders too) also need a basic form of Undead, like Skeletons or Zombies...

Do the units work other than the cannon effects? I think that only a few of these are suitable for fantasy, probably exactly the ones that you didn't want for your near-future mod. Do you know combat animations work for the big demon?

The animations on the units seemed to work well enough -- just effects like muzzle blasts and explosions didn't. Given that to be appropriate for a fantasy setting, the units in question would just need melee animations and not effects, I suspect they'd work.

Taking a look at the Carnifex and Great Unclean One, I see no reason that they couldn't be made to work without needing new effects. I'll try coding them up and see how well they work.

Hmm, I added some of these units to CCTP a long time ago(Think they have been removed since), I do not remember them having effect issues, but then I did doctor the vanilla effect.xml the way Skajaquada explained. And there have been a lot of updates since then, new database tables for art defines ect. I'll take a look again, once I have fixed up the SDK(It seems to think all my solutions require an outdated framework and wont open atm, even new projects created, built and reopened suffer this issue)

I've been considering using them for a sci-fi-ish civ, so I've been meaning to start up a thread at some point to ask if anyone knows how a mod could dynamically add effects...

That's one of the few files left that are not added to the database (another one is the formations file) :(

FramedArchitect let me upload black, green and red Drake units he recolored for his Faerun mod to Civfanatics, and I've added it to my list. Here's a pic:
Spoiler :

FramedArchitect also made some other interesting units by recoloring existing ones - for example recolored scouts with ranged attacks, used as mages.

These units can be found in Art\Units and Art\Units\Heroes folders of the Faerun mod. Here is a list of interesting units I found there:

Art\Units\Cleric - 4 different versions of recolored Legion
Art\Units\Demon - recolored Samurai
Art\Units\Giant - recolored Hoplite
Art\Units\Heroes\Drizzt - unknown source
Art\Units\Heroes\Druid - recolored one of the Barbarian Brute figures
Art\Units\Heroes\Fzoul - unknown source
Art\Units\Mage; Art\Units\Sorcerer; Art\Units\Wild Mage; Art\Units\Wizard - different versions of recolored Scout that have ranged attacks in the game (there are 2 versions in Wizard folder, so 5 total)
Art\Units\Paladin - recolored Longswordsman

I haven't checked other mods/scenarios made by FA, perhaps there are some interesting units there as well...

That's one of the few files left that are not added to the database (another one is the formations file) :(

Well, that sucks. If/when I try adding the more sci-fi units, I guess I'll have to include instructions for how to add in the relevant effects data...

However, I quickly bodged together the Carnifex art and it appears to work, including animations:

Spoiler :

The one problem is that there doesn't appear to be any sounds accompanying the animations.

Well, that sucks. If/when I try adding the more sci-fi units, I guess I'll have to include instructions for how to add in the relevant effects data...

However, I quickly bodged together the Carnifex art and it appears to work, including animations:

Spoiler :

The one problem is that there doesn't appear to be any sounds accompanying the animations.

I don't know what that thing is, but it looks really cool!

I don't know what that thing is, but it looks really cool!

It's a Carnifex, using the model from Skajaquada 's Warhammer 40K mod.

I made a separate little mod for the Carnifex that I uploaded to civfanatics here. I'm not sure if I should post it in the units forum under Skajaquada's old thread, or make a separate thread for it like the other fantasy units. I'm not sure the animations work fully -- when attacking barbarians, they didn't die until the combat was resolved -- and there's no sound, but it may at least provide a starting point for people to figure out what issues remain...

These units can be found in Art\Units and Art\Units\Heroes folders of the Faerun mod. Here is a list of interesting units I found there:

Art\Units\Cleric - 4 different versions of recolored Legion
Art\Units\Demon - recolored Samurai
Art\Units\Giant - recolored Hoplite
Art\Units\Heroes\Drizzt - unknown source
Art\Units\Heroes\Druid - recolored one of the Barbarian Brute figures
Art\Units\Heroes\Fzoul - unknown source
Art\Units\Mage; Art\Units\Sorcerer; Art\Units\Wild Mage; Art\Units\Wizard - different versions of recolored Scout that have ranged attacks in the game (there are 2 versions in Wizard folder, so 5 total)
Art\Units\Paladin - recolored Longswordsman

I haven't checked other mods/scenarios made by FA, perhaps there are some interesting units there as well...

FramedArchitect said I can upload any of his mods and stuff, so I assume he's cool with you using the units. I'll upload them soon.

Top Bottom