List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

I uploaded 2 units from FramedArchitect's Faerun mod: the Storm Giant and Druid. Also, I uploaded a Vampire Swordsman, converted from Civ IV by Wolfdog and I! (Well, mostly him.) :D:D:D All three have been added to the list.

Also, I have sent a message to Gedemon asking him to create a new section in the Downloads Database for fantasy units. I hope he says yes!:mischief:

I'm working on converting more units. I hope it goes well.
Do you guys think I should add units that are medieval and older to this list, since they can be used in fantasy mods?

I posted a Skeleton from FFH in the Civ IV Downloads Database. Maybe we'll all get lucky and someone will convert it to Civ V.
If I'm allowed : taking units from FFH: the aristarkh (or whatever it is spelled) skellies of MoM's are very nicely done... (but still FFH)

This post in the tutorials makes me think of a couple magical units that could be made as simple reskins:

I did some tests with a couple of things with this unit. I did tests for Materials, Textures, and a bit with the Fx_triggers file.

Concerning the materials, I found out that it doesn't make any difference in the way the material reacts to specular whatever MaterialTag you choose in the UnitArtDefine. It's a bit of shame, and I don't know why we can choose different type of material if they all react the same, but that's what I found out.

Concerning the textures, I worked specially on the SREF file and found out that the color channels drive the intensity of the reflection (Black 000=No reflection, White 256=Full Reflection), and the Alpha channel drives the Glossiness of the Reflection, in other words, how blurry the reflection is (Black 0=Full Glossy and Blurry, White 1=Full Sharp, like Chrome).

<snip>

And concerning the DIFF file, I'm sure you all already know that the alpha channel drives the CivColor on the unit, so any part that is Black in the alpha channel of the Diff is going to be replaced (actually more multiplied) with the color of the Civ you're playing. If on your color channels, these areas are white, it's going to put the color of the Civ at 100%, and if there's already a color there, it's going to multiply it.

1. Ghost-like swordsman with white/blurry reflective skin. There was a summoned unit in FFH. Can't remember the name ... "Guardians of Ehr...."?
  2. Swordsman with chrome/sharp reflective skin (Terminator-like effect). Can't remember any FFH units like this. But it would make a nice magic summoned unit. I was thinking of a Tower Guardian summoned by a wizard to guard his tower.
I suggested in a post in the tutorial that I might do this ... but I'd be happy if someone else does it first. It's going to be a long time before I get around to it.

This post in the tutorials makes me think of a couple magical units that could be made as simple reskins: (...)

My reskin idea is Landsknecht in mostly black colors - that would make a good Dread Reaper unit.

If possible, do you think you can remove his shield? This mod is perfect for what I need, with the exception of the shield.

I don't think there's any way to do that other then totally re-convert it. I'll ask Wolfdog - he did most of the work, and know much more about these things then me. If you don't mind me asking, what difference does it make if it has a shield or not? (Actually, the Vampire in FFH2 had no shield. Not sure why it was attached to the unit model then. . . .)

I pretend to use this model in my L5R mod and shields are nonexistent in their culture. The rest of the model goes very well with the Shourido paragons.
Wolfdog said he'll try to do it soonish.

This post in the tutorials makes me think of a couple magical units that could be made as simple reskins:

1. Ghost-like swordsman with white/blurry reflective skin. There was a summoned unit in FFH. Can't remember the name ... "Guardians of Ehr...."?
  2. Swordsman with chrome/sharp reflective skin (Terminator-like effect). Can't remember any FFH units like this. But it would make a nice magic summoned unit. I was thinking of a Tower Guardian summoned by a wizard to guard his tower.
I suggested in a post in the tutorial that I might do this ... but I'd be happy if someone else does it first. It's going to be a long time before I get around to it.
I believe you mean the Host of the Einherjar. Would it even be possible to convert his translucency? It does seem like that's a regular UV to me.

I believe you mean the Host of the Einherjar. Would it even be possible to convert his translucency? It does seem like that's a regular UV to me.
Yeah, that's it. You can't make translucency, technically speaking. But I think you could make an illusion of translucency with a blurry/white reflective skin, as outlined in hugojackson18's post. (I don't know what a "regular UV" is.)

Yeah, that's it. You can't make translucency, technically speaking. But I think you could make an illusion of translucency with a blurry/white reflective skin, as outlined in hugojackson18's post. (I don't know what a "regular UV" is.)

Perhaps once I get better at unit conversions I'll try to make that for you. Don't hold your breath though - that will take a while.
I meant to write it doesn't seem like a regular UV. UVs are basically the colors for a 3D model, and you can't make a translucent color.
Could people please list the 3 fantasy units they most want for CIV V so I know which units to convert first? It's alright if you don't know of a specific unit but have a general idea of what you want. Please only request units if you're a modder and actually intend to use them in a mod.

For Éa, of course. Reduced down to top 3 roughly in order of need:

skeleton warrior
goblin archer (matching the existing wolf rider)
orc axeman

Thanks for your efforts! Much appreciated.

That's nice, a Vampire will be a good thing for my Undead civ :) But I (and I believe other fantasy modders too) also need a basic form of Undead, like Skeletons or Zombies...
For Éa, of course. Reduced down to top 3 roughly in order of need:

skeleton warrior
goblin archer (matching the existing wolf rider)
orc axeman

Thanks for your efforts! Much appreciated.

FFH Skeleton Swordsman it is then. I'm just waiting for Wolfdog to resend me the Swordsman template I used to convert the Vampire. I have no clue where it is.
Screenshot from FFH:

Edit - Just wondering, what was your favorite FFH2 civ? Mine was the Illians.
Edit 2 - Never mind, found the template. Starting work on the Skeleton now, though I have a bit of a headache so I don't know how much progress I'll make. Also, how do you pronounce Ea`?

The FFH Skeleton with the skull shield looks very good, I'm sure many fantasy modders will like it :)

Edit - Just wondering, what was your favorite FFH2 civ? Mine was the Illians.

Malakim and Lanun.

That's a hard question. I probably enjoyed playing Bannor the most, followed by Sheaim.

The Sheaim were my second favorite. Come to think of it, the reason I liked the Illians was bec. I enjoyed the whole 'turn world to ice and performing rituals to summon your dead god' angle (as well as the fact that they had 3 heroes if you count Drifa and Auric Ascended in addition to Wilboman), and my favorite thing about the Sheaim was how you're encouraged to destroy the world and bring Armageddon. So it seems I choose civs more based on cool playstyles then abilities. This might be reason I find it so hard to choose a civ in CIV V.
The idea of making it possible for new civs - Mercurians and Infernals - to enter the game in middle was a stroke of genius. Just sayin'.
Edit - I might not be able to convert the Skeleton, as its having a wierd glitch that Wolfdog says may be unfix able.

Alternative skeletons are here and here (actually in the second link it's probably the same skeleton swordsman as in FFH, but there are more skeletons there).

Top Bottom