Modding Defensive Pacts into Alliances.

Krajzen

Deity
1) Diplomacy in this game... Could be better.
2) DLL modding is relatively difficult.
3) 'Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.' - Albert Einstein
4) Defensive Pacts... could be more useful :D

My question is:

would it be possible to change Defensive Pacts' effects to turn them into more useful Alliances... without modding DLL? It would be much better than creating new diplomatic feature from scratch.

Does AI use D. Pacts at all?

ALLIANCE:
- Defensive Pacts turn into Alliances which are available since Writing. Alliance option can appear if you have signed Open Borders/Declaration of Friendship
- Alliance lasts for 30 turns. You can break it earlier but you receive light negative modifier with certain civ. During these 30 turns you have Common Vision with your Ally, which removes fog of war; you receive big bonus to relations and technology from trade routes between these civs is tripled. Also, bonuses for fighting inside friendly borders apply for both civs.

- AI uses alliances if it feels threatened or really likes particular civilizations. If one ally is attacked or attacks someone the second one immediately joins him.

- For human player:
If one ally is attacked or attacks, allied human player has notification and he can decide whether to join ally or not. Joining him means war with his enemy. Decline means peace but huge diplomatic penalty with most of the world.

Would it be possible to remake D. Pacts into something more useful, like these Alliances?

-----------------------------------------------------

Personally I have been always sad because of the lack of Common Vision even with your greatest friends :(

Common Vision is a great idea. As for the rest, I think it could be vastly better with one simple change: declaring war on a civ in a defensive pacts means declaring war on all allied civs.

E.g. say I form a defensive pact with France, and I have an ongoing trade deal with Germany. Germany invades France. Now I am forced to cancel my trade deal, and I am forced to declare war on Germany. The civilized world recoils from me in horror.

No! If I am in a well-publicized defensive pact, Germany should effectively see us as a single unified civ. Declaring war on one = declaring war on both; declaring war on one = canceling trade deals with the other. Germany should suffer the diplomatic consequences for that, not me.

Possible?

Anyone?

Top Bottom