Unit Request: Siege Archer

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
The Assyrians had made major and highly effective use of a tactical feature common in Near Eastern warfare for many centuries. This was the archer-pair, consisting of a spearman bearing a very large, light but sturdy shield made of leather and wicker, and an archer; the spearman faced the enemy and held up the shield, behind which the archer hid and fired off volleys of arrows. The Persians called such shields spara and so named these tactical units sparabara, or "shield-bearers." Typically, the Assyrians had lined these units up side by side, forming a single row of shield carriers backed by a single row of archers. [The Persians] increased the depth of the formation and also the number of archers per shield, producing a heavier concentration of arrow shot.

I don't think this unit has been made, but I think it has a chance to be a really cool Assyrian unique unit. Anyone interested in making it?

it would, but it would fit the Assryians, who invented, or at least made the earlyst heavey use of them better

This unit would be very cool, please Utah, Kinboat, Kryten, anyone go make it.

I think this version would fit the Assyrians. It would be possible to make a Persian version afterwards (just give them Persian clothes). The Assyrians also used much more armor than the Persians did, even on each Archer

I would definately like that idea, but I'm hoping to get at least one ;)

I'm thinking that the sky blue in that picture could easily be civ specific, and maybe something on the shield.

Bump

Anyone at all interested?

I want to get some of these done, because my signiture could possibly get very long with all the requests I have in mind :D

Nice idea, hope someone makes it.

I have a bunch of people interested in playing the unit, but I still need one person interested in making it (I had this problem with the Sumerian Chariot too).

Try Kryten, maybe he 'll be interested on it.
If not, try oiled snake, it will be most probably that he'll want to help you out.

me thinks we need more unit creaters....if only i had artistic talent....

Originally posted by The Slayer
How about if (as a reference) the Impi and the Bowman are used in a Munit? IMHO it will look very similar, just a change of the color in the Impi it I can be done....

What do you think?

It is possible, but I think the Bowman isn't quite as heavily armored as this unit (and would also need a few more changes). If the Impi is used without major modifications, it will just look wierd. There might be too many modifications for it to be possible to complete using cut and paste.

On careful examination of the Bowman (this is probably the first time I ever looked at a Bowman in Flicster), he will definately do very well as the Archer here (with a few suggested modifications). I still can't think of any Civ3 unit that would work at all as the mantle bearer, though

Oh yeah, Bump :D

Maybe some unit maker will take pitty on me and make the unit. :D

Top Bottom