[RaRE] RaR Extended: a combined modmod for the RaR modification

What about my observations about making game turns less tedious in the final stage of the game? Do you see any "easy" solutions which would make sense without needing an awful lot of development? :undecide:
I saw your post, but my mind was way too busy with another task at the moment that I thought "I can read it later". It turns out I paid so little attention that I forgot that you posted something :blush:

So here are the 4 major points I would point out:
  • The fact we cannot rush buildings during war of independence dates back to vanilla, but in the super big games of RAR/RARE it becomes a nightmare! This forces to do a painful micro-management with charriots to be sure to address to cities all the goods needed at a moment of the game where they all produce hammers industrially. That's really unnecessary. I can fully understand if rushing buildings would cost thrice the price because we can't do it with the motherland, but forbidding it completely is truely discouraging.
It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a cost modifier, which is applied if the player declared independence. I don't know which modifier would make sense for a balanced setting, but it could be added to globalDefineALT. If it isn't saved, then different values can be tested on the same savegame. Not messing with the savegame also mean no risk of breaking savegames while implementing the new feature.

• The turn starts in choosing student trainings and things to be built in all cities. Choosing buildings is not a problem in itself (except for the "no rush" part), but finding student trainings can be tedious if you want to do it carefully. Hence why I'm still convinced the "specialty needs list" idea of last month could be really a significant improvement.
I still want to make this, but I want it done the right way and with a design I can also use in M:C. This mean it is a fairly big coding and planning task and likely not next on the list.

• During war of independence, money becomes worthless. You can't rush buildings, you can't buy anything from Europe and Africa. The only thing you can actually buy are smuggling ships in Port Royale. It's frustrating because meanwhile, the domestic market alone generates tons of revenues with which you can actually do nothing. Beside allowing buildings rush, maybe the ability to buy mercenaries from other European countries could be fun?
Thinking about this from a coding perspective, I would say the easiest solution is to mod Port Royal to do the following after declaring independence:
  • Can be accessed by all ships
  • can buy units/yields
  • add some randomness. If you want to buy say 200 horses, you risk the answer is: "not this turn" or "I only have 30 left".
  • same random supply of units
  • Buy prices have increased significantly compared to the European port.
  • Possibly much more unstable prices, particularly when buying military yields/units
  • Selling yields would likely result in less money
I think this can be implemented without too much work and it would mean you have something to spend money on during the war of independence.

I think there are random events where foreign kings offers you units for a price after you have declared independence. We could make the those more likely to occur.

I think there are random events where foreign kings offers you units for a price after you have declared independence. We could make the those more likely to occur.

This is brilliant. It would really add action to the end game if such reinforcement events came regularly.
Maybe it could be possible to buy a damaged man-o-war for like 20.000 gold.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a cost modifier, which is applied if the player declared independence. I don't know which modifier would make sense for a balanced setting, but it could be added to globalDefineALT. If it isn't saved, then different values can be tested on the same savegame. Not messing with the savegame also mean no risk of breaking savegames while implementing the new feature.
Great! :goodjob:

I still want to make this, but I want it done the right way and with a design I can also use in M:C. This mean it is a fairly big coding and planning task and likely not next on the list.
Great! :goodjob:
If only I had a clue about C++ I would so gladly help. I'll really try my best to help you once you'll have time. :)

This is brilliant. It would really add action to the end game if such reinforcement events came regularly.
Maybe it could be possible to buy a damaged man-o-war for like 20.000 gold.
Nice idea indeed. Currently, contacting foreign kings serve no purpose. They have nothing to exchange and you can't ask them anything but their opinion on other players.

Maybe we could imagine that in contacting them, we would benefit of a new option where we directly ask them for mercenaries? They wouldn't necessarily accept, and to avoid players abusing of this, we could imagine that each time we would benefit from it it would cost more the time afterwards?

This could work a bit like when we ask for a favour to the archbishop (the more we do it, the more expensive it becomes).

What does "Reduced Colony Distance" do? I'm not sure from the short description in the game what it means.

What does "Reduced Colony Distance" do? I'm not sure from the short description in the game what it means.
It reduces the min distance between colonies by 1, but only if you already own the 3x3 plots where you want to build.

I added this because I got annoyed with all the specials, which were left unobtainable due to less than perfect colony placement. The need to own the plots mean it is a mid/late game feature and as such it will not make the natives cluster settlements early on, which makes it harder for Europeans to find vacant land.

It's mainly intended for use with 1 city plot radius, but it should work with 2 plot radius as well.

I have an issue.

During the game there are several quests.

I get normally the Quest for the 5 abbeys first.
Later I get the 5 seaports quest.
I can finish it normally, but if I start to build a market, while having these 2 quests already, I get the message for the 5 market quest, but it delete the 5 seaports quest. (I do get nothing and it disappears in the quest list.)

Another issue I had in a game with a gigantic map was that the game froze and didn't proceed, even waiting half an hour. I had this earlier, but normally it need only a while until I can proceed again. Is there a workaround?

I have an issue.
Sorry I can't help you with that. I'm an engineer, not a psychiatrist :p

I get normally the Quest for the 5 abbeys first.
Later I get the 5 seaports quest.
I can finish it normally, but if I start to build a market, while having these 2 quests already, I get the message for the 5 market quest, but it delete the 5 seaports quest. (I do get nothing and it disappears in the quest list.)
I never paid much attention to quests. Maybe I should do so now. It sounds like there is a cap for how many active you can have at once. I have to test this.

One thing, which might explain it is if it is one of those rewards to the first player. who has (whatever it requests). If the requirements is that nobody else has managed to do so before you, somebody else might have a non-bug reason to remove it from you. If that is the case, then a popup would be nice.

Another issue I had in a game with a gigantic map was that the game froze and didn't proceed, even waiting half an hour. I had this earlier, but normally it need only a while until I can proceed again. Is there a workaround?
It's normal to have a stall between turns. The code isn't multithreaded enough to avoid it. That is it will only update between AIs, not during the turn of each AI, or something like that. This mean if your CPU power/memory interface makes the AI slow, you will see a stall.

Having said that, the stall should be in the region of seconds, not multiple minutes and certainly not half an hour. If you have a savegame, which freezes for that long each time you end a turn, then I would like it for analysis. The AI code gets stuck in a loop somewhere and I have no idea where, which mean I can't do anything without being able to watch the issue "in progress".

The AI code gets stuck in a loop somewhere and I have no idea where, which mean I can't do anything without being able to watch the issue "in progress".

Coming to you live from the West Coast of America.

This Is AI Superbowl IX!

Now over to Nighty for the "In Progress" Live Match Analysis!

Let's see those highlights Nighty!

• During war of independence, money becomes worthless.

• A way to deal with this would be upkeep though it admittedly is some task to implement but also fixes many problems.

I.e. during WOI you must pay gold for each village/town/ city hall/ congress (your king won't do this any more) a fixed gold cost per turn + multiplier for # settlements.
    X (e.g. 5) gold per 50 gun you own, X gold per unit.
    Each turn you get a popup with 2 options; pay the bill or retire. If you don't have the money the first option cannot be selected.

Benefits:
    • Gives you need for money/ goods production/ domestic market during WOI.
    • Gets rid of "boundless expansion" problem (getting 60 rural settlements).
    • Makes it possible to actually lose WOI which is not a real risk at the moment with a large empire.
    • Advanced: add trade-offs to choice of civics (monarchy could be cheaper than emancipation, free religion cheaper than theocracy)

I do not have the save game anymore with the freezing problem, I will try a new game and send you the file if I get it again.

About
your king won't do this any more
He never did, he cares only for the money we give him, that is one reason why we want to get rid of him.

Which version of RaR do I need for the latest version of RaRE 2.5.2?

The latest published version 2.4 does not work - CTD every time when I try to start/load the mod.

EDIT: Argh, forgot to load the main file 2.5...it works

Hi Folks, just a few minutes ago I have compiled my first RaR DLL! :woohoo: :cooool:

I never did something like that before since I only modded XML and graphics so far.

Maybe this is my comeback....:D

Hi Folks, just a few minutes ago I have compiled my first RaR DLL! :woohoo: :cooool:

Great. :goodjob:

The first step is always the most difficult. :)
Soon, you will rule the complete power of dll modding.

Maybe this is my comeback....:D

Keep up the Spirit. :goodjob:
I wish you a lot of fun with your comeback in Civ4Col modding.

I think it does help that I added a project file with a complete setup. It still needs the compiler to be installed correctly and yeah it isn't one of the easiest compilers to set up. Getting it to work is a great achievement.

There are two ways you can get access to git (write access, that is). The first one is if I give it and the other one is forking and running your own SF project. I can pull any change from a worked project into RaRE with very little effort and a forked project can pull easily from the parent.

While RaRE might seem a bit dead on the surface, I do plan to get back to it. I just need to so *censored* first before I can properly dedicate myself to modding again.

Hi, might be a stupid question but I'm new here and new to using mods in general. I've tried the RaR mod for a while and as I understood, the final version is 2.4. Is it possible to install RaRE on top of this, or is 2.0 for RaR Required? What would I be missing if I started using 2.0 as a base instead of RaR2.4?

First you install RaR 2.4, then you install RaRE 2.5 on top of that (copy files into RaR and overwrite) and then RaRE 2.5.2 on top of that one.

Where exactly is RaRE 2.5? (To download and install). I see 2.5.2 on you signature.

Top Bottom