End of Empires - N3S III

Hello. Well, I'm new here and want to start off my hopefully promising NESing career now that school's over! If I can, can I take over the NPC of Stad Men? I always like playing the underdog when learning.
Please don't destroy the newbie!

Certainly. Get orders in any time before next Tuesday. :) If you have any questions, since I'm about to go on a trip for roughly a week, fire away!

Well, I'm just going to send orders best as I can, and you can correct me if I make any mistakes. I do have a question right now, how do you determine how much you can buy?

Well, I'm just going to send orders best as I can, and you can correct me if I make any mistakes. I do have a question right now, how do you determine how much you can buy?

Well, this is a five hundred year update, so you don't really have to make decisions like that at this point. Now you just say areas you want to focus into, who you want to make friends and enemies with, and that sort of thing. The details are pretty irrelevant over this long of a time span.

When we switch over to twenty or ten year turns, the stats will be expanded and you'll have a simple income stat which shows you how much you can buy.

*cough* *cough*:mischief:

Will be fixed with the stats for next update...

...Or now.

:p

By the way, do Moti have any idea that there are people to the north of them?

Rationally, yes. Emotionally, no. They're quite aware that there's a wider world, but there's certainly no sense of connection to anywhere but their fellow Uggor.

Orders coming in now!

Some random thing bundled up with a question:

it·gal·li·at·tet·te·fer·man·net·oc·co·ret·tat·tat·to·ron▫it·gal·li·at·tet·ti·ret·til·tat·ti·lit·tis·si.[1]
- Sizacces the Historian, in his Travels Across the Sea

[1] "The Gallat to the east[2] are of Ferman roots and believe only in a single divine being. They have excellent wine."
[2] @North King: Is the map east the same as where the sun rises?

Well, NK's in Massachusetts checking out his future college, (Amherst) so I wouldn't expect the update until this weekend at the earliest.

---

A Gathering of Men

Somewhere, there lives a perfect people. Their small, comfortable thatched houses are tucked into a mountain valley, which opens up into a lush grassland. They are content with their quiet lives, happy to grow plants and watch sunsets until the end of their days. And their only goal is to live life with a greater understanding of nature and the universe.

And somewhere, the Satarai are burning their homes and taking them as slaves.

Andelai, having led the rearguard, appointed himself as messenger to bring news of the victory to the conclave. Of course, the trails of smoke rising from the valley were visible for miles, but it wasn't apparent that they had taken five hundred seventeen slaves, killed eighty-four "warriors," if angry farmers could be called that, and lost two men. One was caught inside a burning barn (that he himself had lit) and roasted alive. The other fell from his horse during the charge into the valley and snapped his neck. Andelai had no doubt that their spirits were being reincarnated as minnows somewhere.

It was the last year of the Wheel, and so the Satarai gathered in conclave, as was their tradition. While they normally roved north, south or east of Rath Tephas according to their whim, it was rare for all of the tribes to be gathered this far to the north. The sun plunged down to the west, leaving an ominous arc of crimson, like a bloody slash cut across the torso of the darkening sky. Andelai was not one for skygazing, though like all he knew how to read the stars.

The trails of smoke from the campfires of the Gathered Seven Houses were far greater than those of the burning valley. The Gathering was as large as a city of stonedwellers, for after all, the entire living nation of the Satarai were here arranged. Set aside were the war camps, neatly lined with barriers of sharpened stakes, and well patrolled by dismounted sentries who stepped back after Andelai answered the challenge correctly. He made for his own tent, passing the reins of his horse to a groom, one wearing the low mask of the enslaved.

Other slaves helped remove his dented armor, and washed his face, stained with blood and sweat, before buckling on his ceremonial gear. The passages on the moon indicated that the Tenth Year of the Wheel (in the Eleventh Cycle, the seven hundred tenth year since the Founding) was drawing to a close. Soon came the eleventh year of the eleventh cycle...this would bring great things, for good or for ill.

Andelai was a warrior of the Satarai, so he was not a superstitious individual. Of course he believed in the Heavens, and the power of the Gods, but it was long held that power is given freely. Across the years, the Satarai, and in time Andelai, realized that obedience is what makes a king a king, and a slave a slave. A king is a king because men freely give him their power, out of fear or out of loyalty. A slave is a slave because he freely gives his power to another, usually out of fear. So too, the Satarai thought, were Gods made, and unmade, by the free will of men. Such supernatural power as the Gods of Great Heaven held was no more than the combined power of every Satarai warrior's fist, joined into one.

These were the thoughts of Andelai as he strode through the camp towards the Tent of the Princes. His personal slaves had made a remarkable transformation in his appearance. The dirty, battleworn warrior of that afternoon had been transformed into a mighty lord, his forehead bound with the circlet of an Heir, a blue cloak concealing bronze armor polished to a sheen. His sword was sheathed, but also he carried a great silver shield, covered in concentric circles of engraved runes, the verses and chants especially holy to the House of the Star.

The tent was great. Not as great as the vast golden pavilion in which the Grand Satrap of the Sesh had once met with his Princes, but still the largest structure to be found north and west of the Empire of the Sesh. The Seven Princes stood as he entered, each one holding the silver staff that marked his authority, their bodies covered in cloaks marking their House's color, and their faces covered by the silver mask of a Ruling Prince.

One, his silver mask marked by a single sapphire set in the forehead, was the first to speak. "Andelai. We have seen and smelled the smoke of battle on the wind. Tell us of your fortune."

Andelai bent to one knee, and covered his face with his left palm, the gesture of high respect. "My lords and masters." And he clearly outlined the details of the battle, parts of his mind rattling off the statistics of the engagement, while his heart was far elsewhere. As always, Andelai was respectful and brief.

The prince with a brown cloak, and a pure topaz embedded in his mask, held a silver rod of authority, capped with gold: The Ruling Staff. Of course it would never be spoken, but the High Prince was of the House of the Wheel...and would be, until the Ruling Staff was passed at the end of the cycle. It was the deep voice of Akaltas, his uncle, that came from behind the mask, but it had the cold weight of power and decision that marked the voice of the High Prince.

"Your voice and bearing are blank and composed, speaker. If we did not know you, we would see only a warrior with a strong arm and a quick mind, and not a man who hides his true feelings from the Seven."

Taleldil repressed a flush. "If I may speak freely..."

A shorter prince in a green cloak waved his hand impatiently. "Speak, your loyalty is known."

"Our presence in numbers this far north is unnecessary and strange. And the people we slaughtered, for it was a slaughter and not a battle, were not a threat to us, and had little of value to be taken. What was the purpose of our journey across the sands to this place?"

The High Prince chuckled softly, though he quickly repressed it after a sharp glance from the ruby-masked prince on his right. "We tell you to speak and the words gush out like a river. Prince of the Star, tell your so..ah, our speaker, why we have done these things."

The tallest Prince among them, with a white cloak and a clear diamond sparking from the pinnacle of his forehead, stepped silently forward. "Andelai, for years we have watched the lands around us. To the south and east, the Empire of the Sesh has grown in might. Their cities swarm like termite hives, and their soldiers are ordered and numerous, far better trained than at the death of Taleldil IV, and the end of the Satrapy."

The High Prince cleared his throat, making a sweeping gesture towards the flap of the tent. "Since the...hasty exit of our ancestors from the Sesh, we have restored our numbers, but little else. Rath Tephas is fair, but not as wide a land as we need. So, if the Sesh stretch their hands to the north, it would be far better if they found a barren land than one filled with Satarai, unprepared for the force of their enemy's revenge."

As the impact of his words sunk in, Andelai did finally flush, but this time from anger, not shame. "You would have us run, and Rath Tephas defiled by invaders."

The Prince of the Star, and Andelai's father, stepped forward. "If you have only rash words for us, perhaps I shall not do as I have planned. It was my will that at the turning of the moon, when the First Year of the Star began, that I lay down my mask, and let it pass, with the Staff of the High Prince, to my heir."

Andelai was shocked. His proud, silent father, give up the Ruling Cycle for the Star...to him? "Father, I..."

"Enough! You know your place in the gathering. The only ties within the conclave are the ties of loyalty. The ties of blood mean nothing here."

An ancient voice spoke from behind the mask of the Prince of the Scroll, which had a plain gray rock set into the silver. "The High Prince is a steward, not a despot. It was so decided when we returned to the north. But the House of the Star, and soon, the Ruling Staff itself, shall pass to you, Andelai. You could easily order the Satarai to sit in Rath Tephas, bordered only by enemies and our arrogance, until the inevitable doom came, from the Sesh or another!"

"But he will not," said the ruby-masked prince, "for even warriors know that some battles, even the greatest, are fought with an invisible enemy."

"We must have a new land," said the Prince with a green cloak and an emerald in his mask. "The Rath Phalen is wide, and unbound. If we go north and west beyond the mountains and the setting of the sun, we shall find new lands. Such a journey is a far greater battle than we could ever expect from the Sesh."

Andelai understood, though he did not completely agree with the will of the Seven. But he saw the merit in a journey beyond the sun...not even the Gods had attempted such a thing!

"Very well," he said loudly. "I shall take the Mask of the Star, if it is offered. And I shall lead the Satarai beyond the dying sun into new life."

"So shall it be written," intoned the quavering voice of the Prince of the Scroll, "so shall it be done."

@NK, I know I said I would join this turn but decided against it. I will join after the update when I have time to design a culture.

Stad Men. Few had heard of it. Those who did were mostly its neighbors. Still, it is mainly nothing more than a mere footnote in history. Long it had been ruled by people mostly resented by the people. The people would have rebelled, but the army would have crushed them. So the people were forced to live under with these tyrants.

Then he came. A young farm boy, he had been illegally taught law by his father. He had also learned how to read and write, two other forbidden things. He even was able to learn the languages of other nations. Sadly, his father was found and executed. The boy, Myt-Munsta hid in a secret basement of his house and the soldiers could not find him.

This gave him the notion of revenge. He, too, taught what he knew to others. They then taught others. Soon, a large portion of the population knew law secretly. Myt-Munsta did not want to stop there. He had an insane notion: revolution.

Many soon dismissed him as insane, but when he revealed his plans to them, they realized it was feasible. Bribing the corrupt generals with (false) promises of untold riches, he got the army to attack the corrupt government and overthrow it. When he became king, he arranged for "accidents" to occur to the generals who overthrew the government. Yes, he was good, but everyone has a sinister, shrewd side to them.

Sadly, Myt-Munsta has now passed away of natural causes. His body was ceremoniously carried around town in the most valuable metals that could be found in the region. The entire empire mourned for a day, but the next day, they all were held captive by a stunning speech by Myt-Munsta's son and heir, Myt-Munsta the 2nd.

Under the leadership of Myt-Munsta the 2nd, Stad Men will know be the name on everyone's lips. Or at least the Kbirilma and Kainoan Seas. He couldn't blame em; rumors of western happenings were rather interesting.

Sorry, it's just that that story was written late at night, so I wasn't thinking as much as I could.

The New Galcia

The small boat slowly came up to the bank. On it came two men, each bearing a mark resembling a diamond on their clothes. They also wore big, broad hats made of grass and twigs to shield their faces from the unforgiving dry-season sun. They seemed rather excited; although it was obvious they were exhausted.

Their small boat contained a couple boxes. As soon as the men landed on the bank they were greeted by many people, each person trying to help the two strangers get their luggage off of the ship. With much cooperation, the entire luggage was off of the ship and placed on two elephants. The elephants waddled off towards Firindi, the main port city of the Uggor. Such was the fate of pretty much all goods brought to Firindi. Things come in, get carried away to Goso, and then shipped off.

Ships came from the River Yensai south, bringing valuable tin with them. Ivory was also brought to Firindi, but that was mainly shipped off to Hamakua or The Republic as there was an abundance of it in Krato and its northern brothers. Mighty ships from The Republic and Hamakua came to trade often, much to the delight of trading families.

The Hamakua brought with them interesting news about the outside world with them. Often, children would crowd around a single merchant and then mercilessly pelt him with questions about the world. However, most merchants eventually trick the children into leaving him alone, possibly telling them to bug someone else. Then, real business starts.

Insults, lies, thieving, and shouting plague the markets of Firindi. Bartering often takes hours as experienced Uggor trading families try to milk their fellow merchants as much as possible. With the Hamakua, this was easy. Few Hamakuans have seen elephants or their tusks, which allows for much lying. Ask a Thearaki trader what ivory is and he’ll tell you it is very pretty and valuable. Ask a Uggorian trader what it is and he’ll tell you it is a gift from the heavens, bestowing immortality to those who possesses large amounts, making you more powerful with each pound of it you posses.

Thieving isn’t all too common, but don’t be surprised if a few items are missing from your pockets if you aren’t careful. Insults are thrown around casually, even used sometimes as greetings. For example, if a man tells you ‘Come over here, Sku brained elephant crap’ he’s just telling you to come over and talk with him. Some of the meanest sounding merchants have the best deals available.

Shouting is unavoidable as merchants shout and shriek in anger or joy as deals are being made. If you want to be a successful trader in Firindi, you’re going to need some good vocal chords. With a river running nearby, a street filled with yelling people, and the occasional elephant blowing its trunk, it isn’t surprising if you can’t hear for a few days.

And so the lands of Galcia had been turned from a small Duroc state into the most important trade route of Krato.

Is the map failing to load to anyone else?

Attachments

• N3S year 1 political.jpeg
    N3S year 1 political.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom