Game of Thrones

The map is on the way. It looks like the one I post the 18 october. It's a big Westeros continent and the west coast of Essos with some city states. The forecast factions are the following :
[...]
Arryn
Tyrell
Martell
Tully
[...]

Ok, sorry for the long delay but here is a link to some files I hope will help!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?xxu2pnvophlggl3

Included should be *almost* everything you need for the four new playable civs. Sadly I don't do graphics so none of that has been done (no portraits, no scenes, no new unit icons), and I have also not added the new Civ-specific buildings (although the text is there, the building is not defined so these four civs will not have a civ specific building until you add it):

XML/Leaders - 4 new leader files
XML/Civilizations - 4 new civ files
XML/Civilizations - updated MINOR CIVS file with additional city states (all the free cities, Oldtown, Nights Watch).
XML/Civilizations - updated Civ5Traits file including new civs.
XML/Interface - new Playercolor file with info for all playable civs.
XML/Newtext - I have included a file called "Gametext GM-Add" that has my additions only, and also a file called "Gametext v8.1" which has the additions incorporated.
XML/Units - new Units file.

I did NOT delete the legacy minor civs, so "Tully" is still a listed minor civ as well as a playable major civ; I'm not sure if that will mess things up!

I also assigned the civ traits etc as follows (for discussion):

Martell of Dorne: Dornishmen get 1 food from desert; Dornish Spear is a stronger pikeman with bonus v melee units; Water Garden replaces Garden +2 happiness.

Tyrell of Highgarden: Breadbasket provides bonus gold and culture from luxury resources; the Rainbow Guard is a longswordsman with blitz; the Water Wheel is a Water Mill with bonus production.

Arryn of the Eyrie: Highlanders - melee units start with rough terrain promotion; the Tribesman is a stronger Axman; the Redoubt is a stronger castle with a culture bonus.

Tully of Riverrun: Riverfolk units start with amphibious; the Blackfish is a longswordsman that can move after attacking; the Fishlodge is like a lighthouse for river squares instead of coastal squares (+ food).

Since I added in all the free cities I think it might be worth it keeping the original map size; it's a challenge for Dany to make it all the way back to Westeros but such is life for the Mother of Dragons. I have also included in the package a slightly updated version of that map with more features and more accurate Essos geography. Also the narrow sea should be narrower :). With the cities placed in and perhaps also the major roads connecting the free cities and then slaver's bay, regaining the thrones as House Targaryen would be a really fun challenge I think, but even if you only use the West coast of Essos you will still need almost all the free cities!

Also please note that Valyria was destroyed in the doom: your original V7 map includes Valyria, Oros, and Tyria all of which cities have long been destroyed. A terrain type like fallout you can never clean, or terrain that causes damage to units every turn, should be laid over those doomed lands that are currently habitable in the v7 map! I similarly replaced "House of the Undying Ones" with "Qarth", the name of the city.

I hope this helps - I would be happy to do more map work, and I know English is not your first language so if you want help adding text for new units/techs/etc I'll be happy to help.

Season 2 starts 1 April - it would be AWESOME to have a working version by then!!

SPOILERS!!!

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS. SEASON 2-3-4 SPOILERS BELOW

x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x

Ok, so one thing i wanted to talk about was spoilers ;)

I read the books after watching season 1, and at the point where i checked out your original version 7 I had only just started the second book. You can imagine I was pretty shocked to read about the death of Robb Stark and surrounding circumstances.

I want to suggest that we take all spoilers out of the text. The game allows multiple leaders for civs, so even the fact that you picked Robb and not another Stark does not *necessarily* spoil Ned's death for people who are just picking the show/books up for the first time. Similarly you pick Asha because you like her - she has never been king of the ironborn. I like her too, but why not pick Balon, Euron, or Victarion?

So, we keep the leaders we picked but remove spoilers.

Also, I think your conclusion about the importance of the Stark house is wrong anyway - there are four heirs to Winterfell, each safe and sound and even building their own powerbase except for Rickon, and plenty of allies between the Wall and the Neck and as far south as Oldtown, so if you think the family is finished you know more than me!!! I hope the will kick ass in book 6 and 7! ;)

Every time I try to load this mod my game crashed, I was wondering if I missed something obvious like a patch, or a required DLC. I am running version 1 of Civ V with no DLC and have downloaded V8 of your mod, it is the mod that is the issue, not the scenario as the scenario plays without the mod installed and other mods also work. Thanks for any help.

SPOILERS!!!

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS. SEASON 2-3-4 SPOILERS BELOW

x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x

Ok, so one thing i wanted to talk about was spoilers ;)

I read the books after watching season 1, and at the point where i checked out your original version 7 I had only just started the second book. You can imagine I was pretty shocked to read about the death of Robb Stark and surrounding circumstances.

I want to suggest that we take all spoilers out of the text. The game allows multiple leaders for civs, so even the fact that you picked Robb and not another Stark does not *necessarily* spoil Ned's death for people who are just picking the show/books up for the first time. Similarly you pick Asha because you like her - she has never been king of the ironborn. I like her too, but why not pick Balon, Euron, or Victarion?

So, we keep the leaders we picked but remove spoilers.

Also, I think your conclusion about the importance of the Stark house is wrong anyway - there are four heirs to Winterfell, each safe and sound and even building their own powerbase except for Rickon, and plenty of allies between the Wall and the Neck and as far south as Oldtown, so if you think the family is finished you know more than me!!! I hope the will kick ass in book 6 and 7! ;)

I have to disagree. The inclusion of houses, places, etc from beyond the first book makes it pretty clear that this mod is based on the books rather than the HBO series. Also the art style taken and the fact that they are not using pictures from the series. These books have been out for a while and there's been plenty of chance for anyone who's interested to have read them.

Taking out these descriptions and references to the books would damage the immersion.

Every time I try to load this mod my game crashed, I was wondering if I missed something obvious like a patch, or a required DLC. I am running version 1 of Civ V with no DLC and have downloaded V8 of your mod, it is the mod that is the issue, not the scenario as the scenario plays without the mod installed and other mods also work. Thanks for any help.

I have this problem too actually, I have fixed it earlier on v7 by uninstalling all the mods and reinstalling. Also clear cache in your civ5 docs folder which is hidden at

yourname/my documents/my games/sid meier's civ 5/cache

Maybe we will have a stable v8 to play soon!? :)

Hello,

Last version is working fined at home, so it comes probably from something else...

Make sure to withdraw any older version of the MOD and to load only the Game of thrones MOD to avoid any conflict between mods. If it's still not working, you may post your xml.log / it may help to understand what's going wrong.

Lawtalkingguy thanks a lot for your investment, I will look closely at your files. Your ideas are excellent.

I have a lot of work since some weeks and so I am really poorly activ, I will try my best to implement some of your work in a near future.

Kwadjh

Really happy to see this mod coming together, ASOIAF has a rich world to work with.
Gods and Kings will bring a lot to this I think, what with religions and the improvements to naval warfare etc
Maybe the Tyrells should get the Dutch UI, would fit in well with them.

(also for some reason I can't find the mod in the mod browser after downloading the file, extracting it and pasting it into the MOD folder, any help would be appreciated!)

I have downloaded the file, pasted it into the mods folder, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to access it from the scenarios or mods screen to start the game. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have downloaded the file, pasted it into the mods folder, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to access it from the scenarios or mods screen to start the game. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well I can't be sure, but if you copy the directory into the mods folder it should work. Try clearing the cache in your users folder to make sure there's nothing hanging around in there.

When you go to mods (and accept that they may destroy your computer and life) you need to browse mods and install/select it for playing. You need to copy the map into the maps folder. Then you should be able to play the mod, select a 1P game, go to advanced setup, load the map and scenario, and play.

That said I'm hoping that our hero comes out with a playable 10 civ version as I provided text for Tully, Martell, Arryn, and Tyrell Civs to make them playable although without graphics :)

How's this mod comin along? Where can I dl it?

Taking out these descriptions and references to the books would damage the immersion.

I'm sorry but knowing the date on which someone died is not key to the immersion.

Providing details of their life and empire, as the game always does for leaders of all civs, is important in the civ description; giving a particular account of their deaths that will spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read that far is not important.

Frankly I think the opposite is true - if you're looking for enjoyable immersion, you plan to re-write the conflict for your victory, not your death, and don't need to hear about it at all. Only your history - again, like most of the civ accounts. Caesar's entry doesn't talk about Brutus and the other patricians knifing him in the senate.

Firstly great work Dev! Secondly great ideas all!

This idea pulls on ideaas from this thread so thanks to those who have sparked my imagination.

Here is my rough idea:

Wildlings playable
Black Order cities city states.
Black Order asks for alot of units to keep wall safe
This is in all kingdoms interests so would be a good game mechanic
Keeps Mance and his wildlings away
As well as the White Walkers of course.
Causes dispute when some kingdoms decide to stop sending units
Building the Iron Throne to cause victory is a good idea

And this is the long version:

Lots of people have suggested Wildlings as a race and I agree. Make ‘em strong as hell to thrive in the poor conditions north of the wall and have them hound Castle Black until it falls. With a songhai style gold bonus for killing barbarians (white walkers) which will be spawning everywhere north of the wall this should be made easier. We must remember people can live north of the wall and have done so for thousands of years, so we should have more resources up there.

I also agree with most posters that the Black Order/Castle Black and other cities at the wall should remain city states. I have thought of an idea to make this scenario interesting with an extra layer of gameplay mechanics which holds well with canon. Because the black order isn't going to war for the crown once the oath to look north and never take lands or women has been made.

This is where the idea centring around the black order comes into play. The Order always asks of the kingdoms for support to defend the wall in the books/show so why not have them do the same in the mod?;) If the order is constantly asking the support of the kingdoms in the form of units to defend the wall then gifting units (let’s call it a unit tax) will keep the order happy and the kingdoms safe to war as they please. There are many kingdoms so the responsibilty to man the wall is shared by 8+ players which makes the "unit tax" imposed by Castle Black minor for the safety they promise. BUT if one or more of the kingdoms decides to stop sending support, (I predict this to be southern kingdoms who are far from harm’s way) then the supporting kingdoms will despise them and this creates a new reason to go to war.:mad:

This then sets up an almost “vatican city in total war” approach to Castle black. If a kingdom happens to stop sending support then they will fall out of favour and become enemies with eachother (this would have to be a quick thing, castle black will need high upkeep to stay strong). A safe wall is in everyone’s interest, so if Castle Black has less friends then all remaining friendly kingdoms have a greater responsibility to man the wall (higher unit tax). This would cause friendly kingdoms to despise the irresponsible kingdom almost like a holy war. Except it wouldn’t be forced like in total war, and Castle Black will just ask nicely for the kingdom to be destroyed. This then sets up an interesting layer to the already good scenario idea being worked on as we speak by the dev. Do you give the wall more units to make up for those kingdoms who don’t? Or do you cut your losses and hope the wall holds? The danger of the wildlings AND the white walkers breaking through the wall has just risen and you better hope you aren’t first on Mance’s list after Castle Black. This is exactly what the playable civ Wildlings is banking on happening:goodjob:, opening the floodgates to the south.

This doesn’t give Castle Black any power, they are just the city state responsible for keeping the wildlings and white walkers away. If nobody wants to help with unit tax then you deal with the consequences when Mance or the Others appear. I’m sure the wall will hold for a while... Though in order to balance the sway the Black Order has over the kingdoms there would have to be a balance by having he/she who holds king’s landing as the more powerful ally to have... OBVIOUSLY! Thus the North and South have allies to keep happy, the north keep the wall happy to stay safe, the south keep king’s landing happy to keep themself safe from being targeted for war. And don’t forget our friends in Essos don’t care because they are free to do as they please.

Add to this the amazing idea of the iron throne being a win style. It makes the game very interesting. Layer upon layer adding to this great mod idea. The Iron Throne would then be the shortcut way to winning the game rather than westeros domination. The only thing I feel strongly about is the throne wonder should only be possible if/when you TAKE Kings Landing. You don’t want Joffrey/Cersei to start building the throne immediately upon starting the game and nobody wants to lose the game like that. It would only cause a rush to take King’s Landing... or is that a better idea?:king:

So that is my idea, a bit long winded but I tried to get the point across as clearly as possible avoiding confusion. I have only just started the game last night so I’m not sure if any of these ideas are actually good or not.
Let me know, hope I have helped... hope I haven’t confused anyone.:crazyeye:

LOL omg its a big post:lol:

Ok, sorry for the long delay but here is a link to some files I hope will help!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?xxu2pnvophlggl3

Included should be *almost* everything you need for the four new playable civs. Sadly I don't do graphics so none of that has been done (no portraits, no scenes, no new unit icons), and I have also not added the new Civ-specific buildings (although the text is there, the building is not defined so these four civs will not have a civ specific building until you add it):

XML/Leaders - 4 new leader files
XML/Civilizations - 4 new civ files
XML/Civilizations - updated MINOR CIVS file with additional city states (all the free cities, Oldtown, Nights Watch).
XML/Civilizations - updated Civ5Traits file including new civs.
XML/Interface - new Playercolor file with info for all playable civs.
XML/Newtext - I have included a file called "Gametext GM-Add" that has my additions only, and also a file called "Gametext v8.1" which has the additions incorporated.
XML/Units - new Units file.

I did NOT delete the legacy minor civs, so "Tully" is still a listed minor civ as well as a playable major civ; I'm not sure if that will mess things up!

I also assigned the civ traits etc as follows (for discussion):

Martell of Dorne: Dornishmen get 1 food from desert; Dornish Spear is a stronger pikeman with bonus v melee units; Water Garden replaces Garden +2 happiness.

Tyrell of Highgarden: Breadbasket provides bonus gold and culture from luxury resources; the Rainbow Guard is a longswordsman with blitz; the Water Wheel is a Water Mill with bonus production.

Arryn of the Eyrie: Highlanders - melee units start with rough terrain promotion; the Tribesman is a stronger Axman; the Redoubt is a stronger castle with a culture bonus.

Tully of Riverrun: Riverfolk units start with amphibious; the Blackfish is a longswordsman that can move after attacking; the Fishlodge is like a lighthouse for river squares instead of coastal squares (+ food).

Since I added in all the free cities I think it might be worth it keeping the original map size; it's a challenge for Dany to make it all the way back to Westeros but such is life for the Mother of Dragons. I have also included in the package a slightly updated version of that map with more features and more accurate Essos geography. Also the narrow sea should be narrower :). With the cities placed in and perhaps also the major roads connecting the free cities and then slaver's bay, regaining the thrones as House Targaryen would be a really fun challenge I think, but even if you only use the West coast of Essos you will still need almost all the free cities!

Also please note that Valyria was destroyed in the doom: your original V7 map includes Valyria, Oros, and Tyria all of which cities have long been destroyed. A terrain type like fallout you can never clean, or terrain that causes damage to units every turn, should be laid over those doomed lands that are currently habitable in the v7 map! I similarly replaced "House of the Undying Ones" with "Qarth", the name of the city.

I hope this helps - I would be happy to do more map work, and I know English is not your first language so if you want help adding text for new units/techs/etc I'll be happy to help.

Season 2 starts 1 April - it would be AWESOME to have a working version by then!!

hi guys , some1 can tell me how i can install this patch???

hi guys , some1 can tell me how i can install this patch???

Shouldn't the text files be xml? Regardless, after I put the files in the right places it didn't work :/ I hope someone is still working on this

If you mean the 8.1 yeah it didn't work well for me either, all the commander names turned to weird characters.

To the mod creator: I LOVE the mod and what you've done with it, specifically the leader abilities and the units and how it doesn't go past medieval times. I couldn't get the map to show up though but that wasn't a huge deal to me. Now that steam workshop is out, what about putting the mod on there? Some other guy made a Westeros map and it works just fine with your mod :) Perhaps you two could work together. Thanks for your hard work on this mod and I hope you continue on it :D

Where do you put the file if you have the steam version?

I don't have a mods folder for civ 5?

Top Bottom