God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

What if one of those new resources is a return of copper? Then one of the new units could be the return of the Axeman at bronze working. It could also be required for early melee naval units, such as reinforcing the bow of a trireme so it can do more damage when ramming.

It could even mean new there are several new resources for boosting faith. Such as Holy Water, Rosewood for various religious symbols/totems.

They may even be adding things like tobacco and coffee as luxuries.

Didn't we hear somewhere that Mercantile City States can provide luxuries you can't find anywhere else?

Yeah, I was just going to point that out.

I really think Pictish Warrior is UU replacement for Pikeman. I mean, I've researched Civil Service before Iron Working many times.

Regarding the Pictish Warrior, I can't help but feel people are overriding common sense based on possibly dodgy information.

While it's true that in the picture, iron working hasn't been researched yet, it' also quite probable that the picture was made in some sort of worldbuilder, and the devs can spawn anything they like for the purposes of demonstration. Given that the Celts are shown to have a green colour scheme in the Machine Gun picture, yet the Pictish warriors here are blue, it's quite possible the Picitsh Warrior in that picture doesn't belong to the Celts at all, but the picture is entirely staged.

I simply think that it doesn't make sense for the Pictish Warrior not to replace the Swordsman, not simply because it is quite clearly carrying a sword and shield, but because it has the same stats (unless they're changing the stats, of course). What is the point of making a Spearman or Pikeman replacement that acts like an ironless Swordsman? Not only does it make the bonus vs mounted units nonsensical, it makes building regular swords utterly useless.

If they wanted to give the Celts a sword that didn't need iron (which I would be baffled as to why they would anyway), they could just go the Mohawk route and make it a unique Swordsman that simply doesn't need iron.

It could simply be a unit from the Fall of Rome scenario (?)

It could simply be a unit from the Fall of Rome scenario (?)

This is what I thought.
A scenario unit of some sort seems likely.
However, the Machine Gun also seems too powerful, leading me to think all unit combat strengths have been raised proportionally.

This is what I thought.
A scenario unit of some sort seems likely.
However, the Machine Gun also seems too powerful, leading me to think all unit combat strengths have been raised proportionally.

I thought this was confirmed already that the damage formulas had been changed significantly and that health had also been increased by a factor of ten to accomodate the change in values?

I'm possibly wrong or have misread something somewhere along the line, but even were it not confirmed it would make logical sense to do so given how much health is increasing by.

I thought this was confirmed already that the damage formulas had been changed significantly and that health had also been increased by a factor of ten to accomodate the change in values?

I'm possibly wrong or have misread something somewhere along the line, but even were it not confirmed it would make logical sense to do so given how much health is increasing by.

But health is increasing proportionally. i.e. a unit that would normally do 1 damage now does 10.
But I think I see what you are saying, and I agree.
If they changed everything else, I'm sure they would boost combat strength altogether.

But health is increasing proportionally. i.e. a unit that would normally do 1 damage now does 10.
If they changed everything else, I'm sure they would boost combat strength altogether.

Ultimately I think the theorycrafting while nice is a little unnecessary at this stage. We don't have enough of the required info to say what the developers intentions are with some of these changes. It is entirely possible that health will become a scaling stat (ie 10 in the ancient era, through 100 in the industrial era).

Again, I am likely wrong but until we get more info, it is safe to assume that damage calculations will also change with the vast increase in health.

I really think Pictish Warrior is UU replacement for Pikeman. I mean, I've researched Civil Service before Iron Working many times.

That's not a bad theory. When I think of the Picts, I think late Roman Empire, early Middle Ages. I wonder if an 11 attack Pikeman instead of a 10 attack Pikeman would be all that useful, though. There's also the problem that it has a sword, when I would expect a Pikeman replacement to actually have a Pike.

Damage done is based on the ratio of one units combat strength compared to the others. For example, multiplying the combat strength by 10 times for both units would have absolutely no effect on a battle between them.

Not quite true either though, units will do more HP damage in every attack to compensate, but they also said they wanted units to survive longer, so it won't be 10 times more damage.

Doesn't seem too out of line considering what turn it is, you can see multiple landmarks in both screenshots as well and having the Freedom finisher by that point isnt too crazy.

I agree with that.

True, I don't think I ever seen that much culture for a Cultural win (which I presume this person was going for obviously)

I also think the 3 beakers icon is in fact a Reasearch Agreement, not only is the UN way in the future at this point, but I don't recall there even being a resolution that was connected to Research even in Civ 4.

True, I don't think I ever seen that much culture for a Cultural win (which I presume this person was going for obviously)

I also think the 3 beakers icon is in fact a Reasearch Agreement, not only is the UN way in the future at this point, but I don't recall there even being a resolution that was connected to Research even in Civ 4.

It may be a new icon for a completed research agreement, yes.
I've gotten up to 800 culture with 4 cities (I still didn't win that early :( ) and better players can probably do better than that.

314 culture at turn 265 is pretty low for a standard culture game. One should easily be in the 450-650 range by then, if culture is the focus.

I don't think you can draw any conclusion of a screenshot created for promotion, it's not actually from a game I guess but they set it up that way.

Top Bottom