TSG101 After Action

Got double-teamed by China and Austria around T60 (expanding too greedily, I suppose).

Would have coasted to a victory around T120, but detoured myself and had to retake two of my cities (and all of Austria's!). Finished T185....way late for even honorable mention, so....

Thanks for the help, I am trying to understand it... Is the route to mt. Sinai really that obvious? I tend to try to let my first unit walk in such a way that it will uncover as many undiscovered tiles as possible. That means I prefer a two step walk ending on a lookout hill. Why is scouting rivers or coasts so important in the first few turns?
I like using hills to extend sight range too.
Scouting coasts is important if your capital is coastal because you usually want at least 2 other good coastal cities to send :c5food: cargo ships to the cap for faster growth, leading to more :c5science: and :c5gold: It's also important if your capital is not coastal and map is not pangea because you don't want to be land-locked and unable to build caravels for exploration if AIs settle all the good coastal spots before you do.
Scouting rivers is useful as riverside cities are usually better (bonus :c5food: at Civil Service, access to Water Mill and Gardens).
You want to discover the good spots as early as possible. If they are close to an AI, you better get a Settler real fast.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 101
Date submitted: 2015-01-12 09:27:53
Reference number: 32167
Your name: RyAnne
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1310AD
Turns played: 191
Base score: 1170
Final score: 3078
Time played: 10:05:00
Submitted save: TSG101_RyAnne_191_FINAL.Civ5Save
Renamed file: RyAnne_C510101.Civ5Save

This was my first real attempt at a BNW cultural victory. I went with the SS strategy and it certainly was effective! I could finish much quicker if I gave it another go...

I like using hills to extend sight range too.
Scouting coasts is important if your capital is coastal because you usually want at least 2 other good coastal cities to send :c5food: cargo ships to the cap for faster growth, leading to more :c5science: and :c5gold: It's also important if your capital is not coastal and map is not pangea because you don't want to be land-locked and unable to build caravels for exploration if AIs settle all the good coastal spots before you do.
Scouting rivers is useful as riverside cities are usually better (bonus :c5food: at Civil Service, access to Water Mill and Gardens).
You want to discover the good spots as early as possible. If they are close to an AI, you better get a Settler real fast.

Normally you do not found a new city in the first couple of turns, so specifically scouting for good city spots has a lesser priority. But I guess Spain is the exception, because it is capable of buying a very early settler if a natural wonder is discovered.

Date submitted: 2015-01-13 19:11:18
Reference number: 32174
Your name: vindy
Game date: 1090AD
Turns played: 169
Base score: 874
Final score: 2648
Time played: 7:08:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0169 AD-1090.Civ5Save
Renamed file: vindy_C510101.Civ5Save

T169 Culture Victory. First time tried SS ICS Strategy. Went three into liberty and then full piety. Did not find sinai early... so a bit late faith generation.

Finished my first GOTM for submission - woohoo! :woohoo:

I took well into the 300s turns to finish. Only my second game in BNW playing for culture victory, so we made some huge mistakes. I didn't really know all the tourism bonus mechanisms either, but learned along the way. Got really bogged down in the 200s turns as other civ cultures exploded. Portugal, Byzantium, Carthage, and Russia all had big culture totals. Eventually I figured out that I could attack one (Maria) and bribe the other 3 to DoW to remedy. I should have done that 100 turns sooner. After I eliminated Maria and got hotels, it was click Next Turn to the home stretch.

I took Maria to a fancy seafood restaurant in Porto for dinner. Then we went on a long walk off a short pier. I don't think she will be looking for a second date.

In general, there was very little cat fighting in my game. Theo took out The Celts right after I found them (which was quite late). At the very end, there were a couple border skirmishes, then China got pushed around a little. I never got DoWed.

Learned a ton. I need to learn to leverage religion better. I also turtled too much.

Date submitted: 2015-01-16 12:31:31
Reference number: 32191
Your name: tribefaninnc
Game date: 1964AD
Turns played: 384
Base score: 1993
Final score: 2622
Time played: 6:29:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0384 AD-1964.Civ5Save
Renamed file: tribefaninnc_C510101.Civ5Save

Botched mine badly and rage quit when Austria declared war again. Should have eliminated her entirely the first time around when I had the chance and plain ol' if only and should have for a lot of other things too! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I played GOTM. I rarely (never) play for a cultural victory so I didn't go for Piety. I only ever play with one city and capture all the rest. I wiped out everyone except for the celts...then worked on building culture. Fun but not fast.

Date submitted: 2015-01-22 06:22:13
Reference number: 32213
Your name: Kaiser Wilhelm
Game date: 1954AD
Turns played: 375
Base score: 4708
Final score: 6362
Time played: 8:25:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0375 AD-1955.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Kaiser_Wilhelm_C510101.Civ5Save

I think I will replay this game using some of the things I learned from the other posts.

So I just replayed with the things I learned about Piety & SS on this forum. At turn 149 just waiting for Portugal to buy my blue jeans.

T262. I did not find Sinai early, warior wetn just SE. When I finally found it decided for a mixed SS/war strategy. Basically we killed everybody, who did not want to buy our blue jeans and listen to our music asap :p

First was Portugal when Dido invited me to it. Then Maria Theresa just to grab her Great Works in Vienna, next Theodora although she was a friend and in the meantime also Catherine, who used a prophet to convert Madrid :mad:

Finally, when my artllery was bombarding russian cities a group of musicians made a concert tour in the middle of fighting.

It did not go that well, because I couldnt focus on war or tech, or culture, or religion, but did everything. Met Celts very late, but they were so poor culturally, i converted them first.

I did a SS all piety replay in 112 turns. Had to wait 6 turns for the first prophet, reformation T65. Should have converted Theodora for the bonus and settled an expo city there for the trade route much earlier.

Date submitted: 2015-01-31 03:09:06
Reference number: 32247
Your name: Studio
Game date: 1905AD
Turns played: 325
Base score: 1368
Final score: 2104
Time played: 4:35:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0325 AD-1905.Civ5Save

Didn't even know about that "SS" strategy (Sacred Sites, i suppose?). Therefore went the hard way.
Austria was becoming a runaway, but simply went into too many wars and was brought into control. Dido and Austria were the fighters: Dido-Maria(Portugal) went for centuries, and Theodora vs. Austria was there for a third of the whole game length.
Probably should try replay with SS-Liberty-ICS strategy and see how it works.

Date submitted: 2015-02-01 12:12:50
Reference number: 32252
Your name: knowtalent
Game date: 375BC
Turns played: 101
Base score: 501
Final score: 2505
Time played: 3:58:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0101 BC-0350.Civ5Save
Renamed file: knowtalent_C510101.Civ5Save

Game went fast, no conflict which made for a quick victory.

Date submitted: 2015-02-01 15:04:15
Reference number: 32255
Your name: Beto_java
Game date: 1965AD
Turns played: 385
Base score: 1722
Final score: 2236
Time played: 5:24:00
Submitted save: final_Isabella_0385 AD-1965.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_java_C510101.Civ5Save