The King of the World Throne Room

I *was* at 3.19, but then I upgraded my OS, which of course involved a format... It's okay. I have the UK version on the way ($15, including expedited shipping to get it here Friday!). Now I just hope Sir Ian does as good a job as Mr. Nimoy... Not that I usually play with the sound on, anyway (my usual MO would be to listen to a podcast or stream ESPN Radio during a round).

Oh. And I'm gonna have to re-up Photobucket, too. This hobby is expensive ;)

I might have trolled just a little. I have no idea whether the UK version actually differs from the US version, if at all. :lol:

I might have trolled just a little. I have no idea whether the UK version actually differs from the US version, if at all. :lol:

Wow, I actually fell for that. :lol:

But I know that Bananas are replaced by crumpets. :lol:

Aye, please get going on a new game! :D

I'm a Brit and bought Civ 2 on holiday in USA many years ago, so I'd guess Civ 4 from UK will work in America.

What 1000AD earth mod are we talking about here anyway?

Hey Neal I just wanna say that these were always a great read, it's nice to have you back and looking forward to new KOTW's. : )

As one forum-frequenter who kinda moved on without notice to another: yay for your comeback!

(I think this might be my first post in a year or so, checking subscribed threads out of habit every few months :))

Yeah, it's time to start thinking about the next entry in the series. A foray into Civ V is definitely doable, as is Earth 1000 A.D. My oddball idea is maybe as Alexander in an Always Peace scenario. Thoughts?

Always Peace. In Europe. As Alexander... :crazyeye:

Thats just crazy enough to work! :p

DT
Longtime Lurker :hide:

Always peace might be interesting, but seems that it'd be a shoo-in for Qin.

I don't know what you'd even be able to do with Alex in Always Peace other than settle Turkey and get boxed in by everyone and his mother, but it sounds pretty neat. An aggressive culture game where the goal is to acquire land by pushing borders around could be a change of pace. That sort of game definitely favors people with lots of easily claimed land like Qin and Hattie, but it'd definitely be different from the last one.

I just want to see what you can do with Alex regardless of the scenario. ;)

I'm mostly a lurker, but I would definitely rather see a 1000 A.D. game than a Civ V one.

Civ V just doesn't interest me at all.

Looking at the Earth18 leaders, you seem to have done most if not all of the non-European ones now... Alexander sounds like a good option.

The problem with Civ V is that there is just not a good equivalent of the Earth 18 map. For a while I had considered doing a series like KotW for Civ 5 but the attraction of the series is the knowledge of locations and resources and the expectations of normal play on the same map. The randomness of resources on the Earth map for Civ 5 dooms that attraction.

Earth 1000 AD sounds like a good variant. While Alexander is a good leader that you haven't tried, it's hard to envision that the game won't just be the same "conquer Europe, use its resources to cruise to victory" game. So you'd have to have some restrictions (or try Immortal), I would think.

Always peace would be a very hard game though, and could be fun. You'd have to try to ram cities down the AI's throats and win via culture (and Hatty is going to murder you there.)

Civ5 would be dreadfully boring. Why? Civ5 is all about unit placement warfare. There's little to no micromanaging, research paths are much more straightforward, the diplomacy doesn't make sense. The only interesting part would be seeing what policies you adopt and how you position your siege units for maximum effect. After one game it'd be pretty dull imo.

Top Bottom