News: TSG3 Announcement

I really dislike combat animations being off makes it hard to keep track of the battles, also think selling cities to reduce the cultural penalty is way out of order.
Maybe the answer is for policy cost to scale with something other than number of cities? It could scale with number of turns, or it could scale with number of policies one already has (which makes sense ... must be a bureacratic cost to trying to implement multiple policies).

In other words, need gameplay design that does not incentivize absurd actions.

We now return control of this thread to the original topic ...

dV

The best solution discussed so far has been that you lose a portion of your saved up culture if you lose a city. This also creates risk for people who like to save up culture, which I think is good as well.

The best solution discussed so far has been that you lose a portion of your saved up culture if you lose a city. This also creates risk for people who like to save up culture, which I think is good as well.

The raze exploit was patched out in yesterday's hot fix.

So I'm gonna follow da Vinci shy intervention.

As I had never heard of the exploit' before, why not try it and see for myself if it's that better. So far, I've won every cultural victory as soon as Cristo Redemptor was constructed. But to be honest, I never try to have a puppet empire to support my 1-4 cultural city. That mean getting faster to Cristo Redemptor.

Hey! Better try it before they fix it.

I'll settle on marble and try to get a second city around 2 tile north of starting position for a Scientist then artist farm. That river look huge. Mybe I can even fit 2 great people farm around it.

We will see

Argh...!

I'm trying to load up TSG3 and I keep getting a "Run Time Error" with CiV crashing on me. I am able to load all other saved games and am also able to start a new game myself... I have tried saving to desktop and moving to the CiV saved-games folder; and also saving directly to the saved games folder. Both times I was able to bring-up the file on the load screen but when I went to click on the file I got the error.

Has anyone else had this issue with the save file?

I just finished TSG2 (after the deadline mind you but it was fun...) and want to start TSG3 ASAP so I can post results...

Help!

Have you patched to the latest version? There was a hotfix today, perhaps it's not compatible with this save.

I'm hoping to play this one... I need to learn more about how culture works. Nov 9 deadline looks hard to make with other recent commitments, so maybe no "submission", but I'll be playing it as if I would submit. :cool:

@Buskerdu - do you still have a problem with crashed saves?

Does anyone else have problem with the save?

Yes unfortunately I am still not able to load the save-game file posted :(

I thought Steam automatically updated the patch? How can I confirm if that happened?

What's frustrating is all of my other pre-patch saves load fine ...

Just checked my version: 1.0.0.20 - Is that latest patch?

I thought Steam automatically updated the patch? How can I confirm if that happened?

You can enable/disable automatic patching of each game automatically. Go to the properties for Civ5, and navigate the tabs to find the option. If that doesn't help, try do close Steam completely (no icon in the task tray that is typically in the lower right corner), then start steam again. This will normally trigger a search for updates.

As I am currently playing Gauntlet 2 with a pretty successful ICS strategy, I will try this also in this GOTM. I hope to prove, that this combined with city selling will be an exploit ;-)

If that doesn't help, try do close Steam completely (no icon in the task tray that is typically in the lower right corner), then start steam again.

Thanks Erkon - that did the trick.

Looking forward to starting this one.

Just got here, a bit late I know. This is the first GotM that I might be able to post an actual final result for, so this will hopefully not be the first time I'm around here.

Quick question... Are you guys going to be doing all victory types and then moving on to competition games? I'm relatively new to Civ properly played and I'm sure there are many playing GotM who are new to Civ completely, so are really just trying to get better and develop a more regular strategy. Can you spell out what your plan for games is (Which civ/map/game focus) or are you just playing by ear? I'd love to have some training challenges (low resources/isolation/OCC) etc. after you finish the arbitary 'aim for ___ win' games.

Kid

Just got here, a bit late I know. This is the first GotM that I might be able to post an actual final result for, so this will hopefully not be the first time I'm around here.

Quick question... Are you guys going to be doing all victory types and then moving on to competition games? I'm relatively new to Civ properly played and I'm sure there are many playing GotM who are new to Civ completely, so are really just trying to get better and develop a more regular strategy. Can you spell out what your plan for games is (Which civ/map/game focus) or are you just playing by ear? I'd love to have some training challenges (low resources/isolation/OCC) etc. after you finish the arbitary 'aim for ___ win' games.

Kid

Welcome Kid! :goodjob:

We will certainly run a diplomatic game next, but we don't plan to start the actual competition until there is a security Mod available. This will ensure that the game data base is not modified and thus necessary to enable a fair competition.

Until the competition starts, we will pick new leaders and try out new map types. We have been thinking of setting short/mid term goals but we have not decided exactly how that will work i.e. what criteria shall we use for a win? Example: unlock 20 social policies, or reach the Renaissance, or get friendly with 5 city states, or win without capturing/razing any cities. We're open to suggestions of course, but the criteria have to be simple to formulate and simple to rule. Low resources, isolation and OCC could be such criteria :goodjob:

Top Bottom