TSG101 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG101 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your Tercio or Conquistadors?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- Did you take Isabella on a tourist vacation, where? (May be best not to answer...) :mischief:

Was this game supposed to turn in to a royal catfight? I notice it has an all-female cast. That can't be a coincidence, you devilish GOTM staff!

I won this on turn 258, but it should have been about 15 to 20 turns earlier. All kinds of little frustrating things went wrong at the end which made it take longer.

Since we were given so much Faith, I took Sacred Sites. My test games showed Ai making about 6K culture by turn 200 so I set out to catch up with that by them.

Cat Fights, yes. Dido vs Maria - Maria loses her cap.
Isabella vs Dido - Dido is eliminated. Armory Tercios & Cannons. :) She was a culture leader along with Maria.
Maria Theresa vs Isabella - Isabella almost loses a city.
Wu vs Maria Theresa - Wu is bribed by Isabella to take pressure off.
Great Musicians continue to bomb Wu.

And that's about it. I bet there could be some real fast SS times here.

Spoiler :

Was this game supposed to turn in to a royal catfight? I notice it has an all-female cast. That can't be a coincidence, you devilish GOTM staff!

That's a (mild) spoiler for opening actions, I'm on turn 112 and haven't met the last major AI yet.

Moderator Action: Moved the posts concerning the ladies to the After Action thread.

Yeah, thought it might be fun to hang out with some classy ladies to start the New Year. :mischief:

:newyear:

Turn 115 Culture victory

Game: Civ5 GOTM 101
Date submitted: 2015-01-03 00:54:11
Reference number: 32127
Your name: Acken
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 0AD
Turns played: 115
Base score: 827
Final score: 3595
Time played: 1:16:00
Submitted save: TSG101_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C510101.Civ5Save

Straight SS strategy victory (well even easier with Sinai nearby). Nothing special, spain UA gives sinai 24faith so... yeah, religion turn 21 and reformation turn 85 (already had +30tpt). Lost a few turns due to an unexpected DoW negating the TR bonus on the culture leader (portugal).

Spoiler :

Edit: Funny that I basically got a religious victory in 0AD.

Date submitted: 2015-01-03 02:57:59
Reference number: 32128
Your name: vadalaz
Game date: 375BC
Turns played: 100
Base score: 511
Final score: 2555
Time played: 1:25:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0100 BC-0375.Civ5Save
Renamed file: vadalaz_C510101.Civ5Save

Very very good map, should've been a t95-96 but I didn't pay attention in the end and was late to notice Russia allied a cultural CS... Full Piety SS, went for the building discount first, then into a t60-something Reformation.
Spoiler :

Turn 173 Culture Victory
I actually submitted this one (although i'm quite late compared to some). Will try to submit more in the future :)
Code:
Game: 	Civ5 GOTM 101
Date submitted: 	2015-01-03 07:29:44
Reference number: 	32129
Your name: 	Bob Morane
Game status: 	Culture Victory
Game date: 	1130AD
Turns played: 	173
Base score: 	1206
Final score: 	3547
Time played: 	6:51:00
My Liberty opening probably wasn't that great as it probably delayed Sacred Sites in the end. I never really used SS and thought it was only valid for Theodora. When i started i thought i would need to get further in the tech and SS would only help by accumulating some (most) of the tourism needed, but in the end i won in Renaissance with only 3 great works so i probably lost time trying to get NC and other stuff and growing cities :rolleyes:

When i finally got SS i quickly managed to get influential with 2 or 3 civs. Others were falling quickly. I met the Celts late as the scout that was heading their way fell to barbs but they were small enough to fall under my influence fast. Only Portugal was resisting, with something like 150 turns left by about T150. Not good. That's when Dido asked me for a joint war against Maria :yup: Dido was some 20 turns from falling under my influence. I quickly took Lisbon, then made peace taking another city. My plan was to resume trade after hurting her culture but Dido finished her so i won when i became influential over Cartage.

Austria tried to attack me while i was warring Portugal but royally failed.

- Did you use your Tercio or Conquistadors?
Yes, Conquistadors proved useful in taking out Maria and defending against Maria Theresa. Knights would probably have worked.
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
Nope, nothing to steal fast enough.
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Close by Sinai was key to victory. Map type, nope.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I wouldn't have attempted GL on higher difficulties. Not sure it was really required. Obviously AI don't get as much culture on Emperor and had a hard time defending against barbs. Difficulty and Raging Barbs together worked to give me more time to expand so i could build NC first, but again, it was probably a mistake.
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
It wasn't helpful, it made the victory

CV t128.
Date submitted: 2015-01-03 08:16:33
Reference number: 32130
Your name: Bleidraner
Game date: 325AD
Turns played: 128
Base score: 888
Final score: 3552
Time played: 5:51:00
Submitted save: GOTMJanIsabella_0128 AD-0325.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Bleidraner_C510101.Civ5Save

Sacred Sites of course. Badly played, I am pretty disappointed by myself, this is a fantastic map for a record win using SS. Should have been under 100, even below 90 is possible, but this being what I thought was my first GOTM (the uploader says I have uploaded a previous game, I don't really remember), I played very conservatively and carefully.

So instead of straight piety, which is clearly the winning strategy once you find Sinai, I did a more classic SS opening liberty to settler, to give me time to build some units in case of warmongers. I also kept a reserve cash out of fear instead of just using it to ally the culture CSs. Anyway, there was no real competition with the girls, so after messing around with Maria Theresa with my archers at the beginning, I just focused on the SS win and that was that. In my game, the runaways were Cath and Theodora. Did not have enough culture to finish the Liberty tree, so no GM bomb.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 3.24.33 PM.jpg

Game date: 50BC
Turns played: 113
Base score: 518
Final score: 2354
Time played: 1:06:00

Easy fast game, Mt.Sinai made the clear way to victory. Panthenon in one turn is wonderful. I had only problem when China and Portigal DoW me and I spent some time building archers and defend cities.

I thought I did pretty well with my 156 turn finish. It is shocking to see how much earlier most others have finished! Maybe I just discoverd Mt. Sinai too late? I did scout the west and north first, before looking east. Oh well, it was my first Sacred Sites game and I did have fun when I was still oblivious to the proceedings of the other GOTM players.

An interesting detail: there have not been any wars at all. Perhaps it was the feminine touch? If so, why could the real world not be more like that? Lots of culture and no wars... Computer games would probably be better too.

A happy new year to everybody!

I thought I did pretty well with my 156 turn finish. It is shocking to see how much earlier most others have finished! Maybe I just discoverd Mt. Sinai too late? I did scout the west and north first, before looking east. Oh well, it was my first Sacred Sites game and I did have fun when I was still oblivious to the proceedings of the other GOTM players.

An interesting detail: there have not been any wars at all. Perhaps it was the feminine touch? If so, why could the real world not be more like that? Lots of culture and no wars... Computer games would probably be better too.

A happy new year to everybody!

Yeah well that is one of the problem with this map. If you don't scout/settle Sinai fast there's NO WAY you're going to get a good finish time. Which is rather silly.

However unless you found it really late there's room for improvement from a turn 156 game. SS strategy is 100% about the religion, culture and ics. Everything else is a distraction (science, roads etc)

Yes the map literally drives you to discover Sinai really early. First move is obviously south, to check the other river (you can see a flood plains tile from the starting position). After that you obviously continue along the coast to look at the desert, and the coast for your expo location (cargos!), as the scout you are building will go north, otherwise you lose a turn. If I remember right, just a slight detour for the ruin and the CS, then you see more desert and coast curving up no other way to go anyway as your are blocked by the CS, and voila! Mt Sinai! Anyway, 156 in your first SS is just great, a fantastic result as there is a science to it, especially with a culture poor civ like Isabella.
I am tempted to replay the map, it is great for a fractal.

Yes the map literally drives you to discover Sinai really early. First move is obviously south, to check the other river (you can see a flood plains tile from the starting position). After that you obviously continue along the coast to look at the desert, and the coast for your expo location (cargos!), as the scout you are building will go north, otherwise you lose a turn. If I remember right, just a slight detour for the ruin and the CS, then you see more desert and coast curving up no other way to go anyway as your are blocked by the CS, and voila! Mt Sinai!

Thanks for the help, I am trying to understand it... Is the route to mt. Sinai really that obvious? I tend to try to let my first unit walk in such a way that it will uncover as many undiscovered tiles as possible. That means I prefer a two step walk ending on a lookout hill. Why is scouting rivers or coasts so important in the first few turns?

My first culture game for BNW. It looks i went other way than most of the players - because of that i'm late for some 300 turns - i think i will have to learn about "right" tactics :)

Just for fun couple of final screenshots from my game.

Spoiler :

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Congrats on your win and look forward to watching you improve your play. Best of luck in future games. :thumbsup:

My first culture game for BNW. It looks i went other way than most of the players - because of that i'm late for some 300 turns - i think i will have to learn about "right" tactics :)

Yeah, I casually play the game. Rarely use piety, so the Sacred Sites strategy is one I never knew about, because I think I only pick reformation once in all the games I have played.

T284 Science victory

I went 5 cities, tradtion liberty mix, commerce and full rationalism reedom, easy game, could have won even earlier.

Top Bottom