Best game speed in Civ5 G&K?

Best game speed

• Total voters

AIcivs

Chieftain
Hi, i just want to see your thoughts about which game speed you guys play and which suits you.

My opinion:
I chose the epic game speed, no matter if it is a 2 hour gameplay or a week long game. It is because i don't want to discover techs too quick or too slow. I want to use every era-specific units I built.

Also, on faster game speeds, adopting policies that grants you lots of production is useless.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. This discussion is more suited to general discussions as there is not really any strategy discussion here, so moved there.

I go through phases!
I spent a while on Marathon to fully try it out, after reading some posts last year - liked it but felt I had too much advantage over the AI at a given level of difficulty.
Went back to Epic - as someone said I think it is the sweet spot overall, and my preferred pace.
Back on Standard for last few games - seems really fast!

Marathon because it lets you really savor every unit. I have a bias for some combat in games. (even when playing a peaceful civ or strategy). I also like huge maps, so if I am in a war, I dont want the units I am sending to fight be obsolete by the time they get to the front lines.

Also makes the games have much more pressure. If Ive been playing this game for weeks, even a month, I am going to be very invested in it. Rage-quit doesn't happen to me as frequently if Ive logged 20 hours into a game and someone beats me to a wonder or captures a city.

I go through phases!
I spent a while on Marathon to fully try it out, after reading some posts last year - liked it but felt I had too much advantage over the AI at a given level of difficulty.
Went back to Epic - as someone said I think it is the sweet spot overall, and my preferred pace.
Back on Standard for last few games - seems really fast!

I never really play on non-marathon settings. What advantages does a player have on epic and marathon?

I never really play on non-marathon settings. What advantages does a player have on epic and marathon?
Every unit is more valuable and hard to replace, the AI loses its units very easily -> the AI has a huge disadvantage. That's especially true if you play with raging barbs active - they'll literally obliterate the AI and cripple them in a way that they don't really get to start their empire on anything below Emporer, and they still cripple the AI on Immortal, with a bad starting location even on Deity.

But even if you don't play with Barbs at all it's much easier for the human player, because thee AI is just not able to rebuild the army that they lost while running into your fortifications before you get into their territory and start tearing their empire apart.

@Topic: Without Mods I prefer Standard, when playing with mods I usually use mods that slow down research/policies/religion while keeping unit/building production at a faster pace.

Top Bottom