Civs specific Techs...

laski

Chieftain
Hi I would like to know how to create specifics techs civs...

For example, in the Warhammer fantasy mod, the sylvanians's got "Vampirism", a TECH that only can be discovered by them.

Well I want to do something like that, but I have no idea how to do it :(

I checked the techs in WH2.biq but I didn't find the way.

Well That's all, hope you can help me (again)

Thanks

Techs can always be researched by all civs. On the other hand, the abilities enabled by the tech do not have to apply to all civs. For example, "vampirism" presumably would give the ability to create vampires to the sylvanians. That ability could be unique to the sylvanians, if you made it so.

No actually. Warhammer mod has techs that can be researched by some factions only. I had no idea how this was done until I just thought of it.

The game hands certain factions certain starting techs, that cannot be researched at all, and some techs require these. For example vampirism can be researched only by three factions: the aforementioned Sylvanians, Lahmians and Khemri. What is not logical is why Khemri can research vampirism, because they can't get any vampires, but the tech is still open to them. The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is just this: civ-specific techs that open some parts of the tech tree to certain civs. For example only Ironclaw orcs and Redeye goblins can research WAAAAGH! because they have some prereq.-tech that others dont get when they advance.

Come to think of it, its quite an ingenious way of barring some parts of the tech tree to some, while keeping them open for others, thus creating a more diverse set of civs than that what UU's and civ abilities give.

McManus

EDIT: Like I said, I only just thought of this, and have never been a mapmaker/modder myself, so if this doesn't work, then I can be of no furhter assistance...

Surely the only way to do this is via the use of Flavours, but that doesn't mean that a civ can't research a certain tech, just that it is less likely to.

EDIT: No, wait I've figured it out. All you need to do is create a tech that in "no era", and give a certain civ that tech. Making all other techs specific for that civ either require that tech or those derived from it. Have to test this.

Top Bottom