Civ-specific Techs.

MaxArt

Chieftain
Every civilization has its own unit. Is there a way to create "unique techs", i.e. a tech (and thus an entire tech tree) that only one civilization can develop?

I wish I create a scenario where each civ has its own tech tree, that leads to similar results anyway.

Any idea? I'm using Vanilla, please tell me if it's possible or not, with C3C or PTW too.

I don't remember whether it is possible with Vanilla or PTW (probably OK for the latter).
But it is definitely possible for C3C as I use it in my own scenarios.

Imagine you want an African and a Europen tech-tree. Create 2 techs called "European" and "African" and make them 1/ non-era 2/ non tradable techs.
The give them to the civs that should have them in the editor (ie Spain has European, Mali has African).
Then make these techs necessary for the first area tech of the tech-tree that can be researched. Then only Africans can research (and even see) the African tech-tree and Europeans the European tech-tree.

You can also create special branches for instance if you want Spain to research a special tech, create a "Spanish" tech (non-era and non tradable), give it to the Spanish and make it necessary for researching that special tech.

Just be careful, you cannot make these "national" techs create units: they would not show.

This probably isn't possibly but I'll ask anyhow. Is it possible to make a tech tree have cultural flavour icons so the tech tree is identical for all civs but for Asian civs it has Asian flavour tech icons. In addition, they need to be tradeble as a European civ should be able to trade pottery to an Asian civ, etc. even though the techs had flavour icons.

AFAIK, no !
You could have two parallel tech-trees with different icons but trading them is impossible except if you have the "and/or" requirement which we don't have in Civ3 (but will be in Civ4).

Arturus said:
This probably isn't possibly but I'll ask anyhow. Is it possible to make a tech tree have cultural flavour icons so the tech tree is identical for all civs but for Asian civs it has Asian flavour tech icons. In addition, they need to be tradeble as a European civ should be able to trade pottery to an Asian civ, etc. even though the techs had flavour icons.

Almost possible. The flavour techs would not be tradable, but otherwise possible. You are correct in that Flavours are the only way to allow this, but with Flavours comes the possibility that the civ may actually research the tech directly.

Well, there is a way to make a civilization develop its own techs. But it has a few limitations.

For instance, let's suppose that Civ1 may develop Tech1 and Tech2, that are meant to be developed only by Civ1. So you must create Tech0 also, that leads to Tech1 and Tech2, and can be developed only if... Tech0 is discovered! Then give Tech0 to Civ1 as free initial tech. In this way, only Civ1 can develop Tech1 and Tech2.

Limitations are:
- Tech0, Tech1 and Tech2 can't be necessary to advance to the next era;
- everything can be done only during the ancient age, since you can't assign latter free techs: if you do, they're simply ignored;
- plus, it is a reasonable thing to do only in a scenario, not as a general game rule.

MaxArt said:
Well, there is a way to make a civilization develop its own techs. But it has a few limitations.

For instance, let's suppose that Civ1 may develop Tech1 and Tech2, that are meant to be developed only by Civ1. So you must create Tech0 also, that leads to Tech1 and Tech2, and can be developed only if... Tech0 is discovered! Then give Tech0 to Civ1 as free initial tech. In this way, only Civ1 can develop Tech1 and Tech2.
Yes, that's what LouLong was getting at.
Limitations are:
- Tech0, Tech1 and Tech2 can't be necessary to advance to the next era;
No, techs that require no-era techs that your civ doesn'y have are skipped, which means each civ can be required to research its own special techs before advancing.
- everything can be done only during the ancient age, since you can't assign latter free techs: if you do, they're simply ignored;
I don't know what you mean by "ignored", you can have a civ start off with any tech. And you can make a tech from any era require a no-era tech. As long as the basic requirement is no-era, you can branch off in any era.
- plus, it is a reasonable thing to do only in a scenario, not as a general game rule.
It has been used in a lot of epic mods too, mostly fantasy mods with different races.

Weasel Op said:
Yes, that's what LouLong was getting at.
Sorry, I missed his post! :D

Weasel Op said:
No, techs that require no-era techs that your civ doesn'y have are skipped
Great! I didn't tested that. :)

Weasel Op said:
I don't know what you mean by "ignored", you can have a civ start off with any tech.
I tried to assign Space Flight to a civ once, but when I reached Modern Age I had to develop it anyway! :confused: This happened in Vanilla 1.29f. Should I test it again?

Weasel Op said:
And you can make a tech from any era require a no-era tech. As long as the basic requirement is no-era, you can branch off in any era.
Interesting, never tested it too. But am I wrong, or no-era techs don't appear in the tech tree?

MaxArt said:
I tried to assign Space Flight to a civ once, but when I reached Modern Age I had to develop it anyway! :confused: This happened in Vanilla 1.29f. Should I test it again?
Strange, I was sure you could use any tech. Maybe it's just a vanilla thing.

Interesting, never tested it too. But am I wrong, or no-era techs don't appear in the tech tree?
Right, that's why you have to assign them from the start. But any tech from any era can require them.

Weasel Op said:
It has been used in a lot of epic mods too, mostly fantasy mods with different races.
I was wondering, if every civilization has its own tech tree, how crowded can be the science advisor's screen? Or is there a way to hide the techs that a civ can't develop?

MaxArt said:
I was wondering, if every civilization has its own tech tree, how crowded can be the science advisor's screen? Or is there a way to hide the techs that a civ can't develop?
If a civ can't ever researc hthem, they aren't on they're tech screen.

LouLong said:
Just be careful, you cannot make these "national" techs create units: they would not show.

What do you mean? You can give units with civ-specific techs. Just look at EFZI2: It had entirely unique tech trees for each of the four playable factions.

I don't get it either Lou. Why shouldn't civ-specific techs be able to have units? The warhammer mod had (and probably still, has, just haven't tried it) lots of units connected to a specific tech, and that worked just fine.

Nate1976 said:
If a civ can't ever researc hthem, they aren't on they're tech screen.
Good. This means that the game understands when a civ can't ever research a tech?
I think this won't happen in Vanilla, since techs have no "non-tradeable" bit, am I right?

Yoda Power said:
I don't get it either Lou. Why shouldn't civ-specific techs be able to have units? The warhammer mod had (and probably still, has, just haven't tried it) lots of units connected to a specific tech, and that worked just fine.

I did not mean generic civ-speacific techs, just non-era techs. These cannot authorize the production of units. Or did I miss something ?

MaxArt said:
Good. This means that the game understands when a civ can't ever research a tech?
I think this won't happen in Vanilla, since techs have no "non-tradeable" bit, am I right?

Actually, in Vanilla, you cannot set a non-era tech as a prereequisite for an era-tech.

I just checked it, it's true.

LouLong said:
I did not mean generic civ-speacific techs, just non-era techs. These cannot authorize the production of units. Or did I miss something ?
Oh, I don't know about that. However theres no point in having units there. They can just require no techs, it will have the same effect, as long as you only assign them to the correct civ.

Top Bottom