Recording video?

Cromagnus

Deity
What do people use to record video of their games? I'm looking for something free, preferably a tool that doesn't kill framerate.

Thats what i have, for free, with great quality :

Dxtory2.0(record)

Click on Download Direct(the green one)

VirtualDub(compression) :

Attachments

• VirtualDub-1.10.4.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
Your definition of free is different from mine. :p

Well, i read somewhere that is a free software. Is it REALLY free? I don't know.

This is a very good open source recording/streaming program. Great if you're new and don't want to pay for fraps. Easy to set-up and high quality, it's what I use when I need to record stuff, admitedly not very often, but I've never had an issue with it.

http://obsproject.com/

This is a very good open source recording/streaming program. Great if you're new and don't want to pay for fraps. Easy to set-up and high quality, it's what I use when I need to record stuff, admitedly not very often, but I've never had an issue with it.

http://obsproject.com/

looks like that's more designed for live-streaming, and my network upload may hamper the quality that I can record, but I'll give it a shot. Is there an option to save the file locally at high quality, or does it always upload as it goes?

In the broadcast settings you can switch it to save footage locally to a file instead of stream, it does both.

In the broadcast settings you can switch it to save footage locally to a file instead of stream, it does both.

Sweet, I'll give that a try, see if I can record decent quality without affecting my in-game framerate.

What settings do you use for OBS? The flv it's putting out is all laggy and the sound doesn't match the action on screen (which isn't fluid at all).

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions

What settings do you use for OBS? The flv it's putting out is all laggy and the sound doesn't match the action on screen (which isn't fluid at all).

I use OBS. Since I can't run Civ 5 in fullscreen mode, I have OBS's capture method set to monitor 1. The only other setting I remember changing is setting the bitrate to 3000. You can see any of my videos to see how well that works. Though I have thought about stepping up the bitrate since I have to compress it in post anyways to meet youtube's standards. 3000 was just something I used back when I streamed 1080p on my particular ISP's speed plan.

Keep in mind that this is going to be hardware dependent. Video capture at the same time as playing a fullscreen game is one of the most demanding things you could ask of a computer. You'd think this wouldn't be as bad with an older, psuedo-3D game like Civ 5, but it's poorly optimized and can tax good hardware even when you're not capturing. If you suspect your hardware might be lacking, you can try bringing down both the game's settings and OBS's settings. I use an i7 4770, a GTX 970, 32 GB of RAM, and an SSD, so I usually have smooth recordings.

Top Bottom