Discuss Aztecs Floating Gardens

Athenaeum

Prince
So first of all, this building gives a 15% bonus to base FOOD, not growth, right? And this is the only thing that gives a direct food bonus besides Temple of Artemis?

Now my main question is this. Usually I like to get 2 food trade routes out early in my game (before NC) so that my cities are growing well quite early.

As an Aztec player, do you think it would be more beneficial to build a Floating Gardens in your cities first or a Granary? Floating Gardens are pretty good and are hell of an improvement from a water mill, but considering that they don't allow you to send food trade routes, it's still hard for me to decide if it is worth building them before granaries.

Also you should consider the bonuses that granaries give to deer, wheat and banana. With this in mind you would obviously conclude that there is a situational terrain-based factor in your decision, i.e. how many deer, wheat, banana, and lakes you have around you.

But just in general, even with how much of an improvement the Floating Gardens is from the regular Water Mill, is it still worth prioritizing them over granaries considering that they don't allow for food trade routes?

I've recently played a few games with Aztecs focusing on growth. Here's my advice:

ALWAYS get TOA, as when stacked with Floating Gardens you get 35% extra raw food.

You should try to get a religion and use the growth beliefs. Choose Sun God or Goddess of the Hunt if the local tiles are favorable. If not fall back to Fertility Rites. The downside is this gives you low faith production so you may need to go for Stonehenge or rush to HS for the GP. Followers should be Feed the World or Swords to Plows, and Religious Community. Founder and Enhancer are up to you.

Its quite challenging to get SH, TOA, and HG on Emperor and above, so next game I will focus TOA, HG and rush HS.

The payoff is worth it, the growth is huge. But back to the original question, Granary first usually, especially if you have Wheat (Sun God) or Deer (Goddess).

^^I started a game with them last night (with raging barbs turned on). I play on Emperor. And I was able to snag TOA and HG. And both cities have floating gardens. My cities are really growing. I had three salt by my capital (which I never get with the Aztecs) and a salt and copper for my second city. So I went with Mother Earth.

Cities are growing nicely and I'm really filling out the policy tree (honor and tradition completed) and the patronage opener.

Wait a second, bonus is 15% food boost?

Then it is obvious that building granary first is better for it because floating garden don't give you food but it boosts the amount of food you have. Therefore, farm out the land + build the granary line and then build the floating garden and your food will increase even further.

You can build floating garden first but your growth will be slower by the X amount of turns you took to build floating garden instead of granary first.

Floating Gardens provide the same 2F/1H as Water Mill and +15% Food and +2F from Lake tiles and costs less maintenance and can be built beside Lakes. Unless you have a bunch of Wheat/Deer/Bananas, I would build Floating Gardens before Granary.

Also, you have to really watch your happiness as Aztecs, it's ridiculously easy to hit happiness cap if you grow optimally with ToA, HG, floating gardens, sun god, growth religion.

Also, you have to really watch your happiness as Aztecs, it's ridiculously easy to hit happiness cap if you grow optimally with ToA, HG, floating gardens, sun god, growth religion.

This. Its made me consider aiming for Notre Dame, but I don't like that idea for a few reasons, its off the Education path, its an AI favorite, and also forces you to take Metal Casting before I can build my dozen Heroic Epic Jaguars :lol:

Its forced me to buy extra lux from friendly AIs when I'm out of spares of my own, so I buy for 9 gpt

Also have to pursue Mercantile CS :rolleyes:

It's fairly possible to do it on Immortal if your science game is decent. Just swing back from Education and you should be able to get it

I've recently played a few games with Aztecs focusing on growth. Here's my advice:

ALWAYS get TOA, as when stacked with Floating Gardens you get 35% extra raw food.
Actually its 25%, TOA10%+FG15%. one of the best combos really. if you happen to get lakes the 4food becomes 5food which is insane also Grassland farms, I've never had Lake Victoria as the Aztecs but I imagine it would be stupid good.

I would build Granary IF next to wheat/deer/banana if not than Floating Garden and if next to lake always FG first.

Actually its 25%, TOA10%+FG15%. one of the best combos really. if you happen to get lakes the 4food becomes 5food which is insane also Grassland farms, I've never had Lake Victoria as the Aztecs but I imagine it would be stupid good.

I would build Granary IF next to wheat/deer/banana if not than Floating Garden and if next to lake always FG first.

Granaries in expos first as they will be feeding the Capital. FG in the capital 1st.

I'd have thought Sacred Path would be preferable to Sun God. Rather than grow to happy cap ASAP, put that population growth to work generating a load of culture that will unlock SPs quicker and thus raise happiness - and hasten Tradition's growth benefits.

Some1 told me that TA was fixed to give % from extra food, not base. Not sure about floating gardens... And btw was sure that bonus % food works on caravans. Need to recheck all this.

ToA modifies base food, not just excess. Floating Gardens is the same. They are the only two modifiers that affect base food. Everything else in the game affects excess food only.

As an Aztec player, do you think it would be more beneficial to build a Floating Gardens in your cities first or a Granary?

Try something like this:

Build 2nd city. Get granary in 2nd city as first building(assuming Tradition). Build Floating Garden in cap folllowed by a caravan/cargo. Send caravan/cargo to your cap from your 2nd city. Watch your cap grow like weed :)

If you can't build caravan/cargo it's because you are too far away from any cs. Build granary before Floating Garden.

You should try to get a religion and use the growth beliefs. Choose Sun God or Goddess of the Hunt if the local tiles are favorable. If not fall back to Fertility Rites. The downside is this gives you low faith production so you may need to go for Stonehenge or rush to HS for the GP. Followers should be Feed the World or Swords to Plows, and Religious Community. Founder and Enhancer are up to you.

Its quite challenging to get SH, TOA, and HG on Emperor and above, so next game I will focus TOA, HG and rush HS.

The payoff is worth it, the growth is huge. But back to the original question, Granary first usually, especially if you have Wheat (Sun God) or Deer (Goddess).

Look man, going growth out the @$$ like that is going to do nothing for you if you don't have the happiness to support it, especially early on.

Look man, going growth out the @$$ like that is going to do nothing for you if you don't have the happiness to support it, especially early on.

The happiness is easy for four cities. Focus growing the capital the most because of Monarchy. Build Circus Maximus fairly quickly, and get to Printing Press fast because of the Zoos.

Ally yourself with Mercantile CS if needed, or buy AI excess luxuries for 9gpt

The happiness is easy for four cities. Focus growing the capital the most because of Monarchy. Build Circus Maximus fairly quickly, and get to Printing Press fast because of the Zoos.

Ally yourself with Mercantile CS if needed, or buy AI excess luxuries for 9gpt

This is obviously map dependent, but can be an issue on continents map without mercantile CS on your continent.

Top Bottom