Is tundra faith pantheon underrated?

How would you guys rate DotA on a map like this - the Diety DCL Rome map

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535369

You've got at least 3 sheep around you and probably more resources hidden. You'll steal a worker early and you'll quickly have pastures on those tiles so they'll be pretty strong tiles.

DotA is strong on this map. But the map itself is pretty weak, and good challenge. I believe that map ranks as one of the hardest DCL ever.

I think values are:...

Thanks for posting those! From the math implications, I would have assumed that (1) tundra would have more noticeable bonus resources, and (2) people would complain more about plains start!

i play on immortal difficulty so rarely will a tundra start ever really be workable

I play on Deity difficulty and have found every tundra start to be quite workable. I really suspect you are making assumptions from a couple bad experiences. Being able to persevere even with below average starts really opens up more possibilities!

GoH (and GotS) are definitely risky pantheons, but don't underestimate the power of GotH. If you have a tundra start that will always mean many Deer and often also either Fur or Truffles as your primary luxes. In such a case, GoH can make a huge difference, but obviously it works best if you start close to a faith-generating NW or get really lucky with a religious city-state (which is unlikely). I would take GoH and throw a couple of early policies into Piety to get quick Shrines/Temples with extra faith instead of taking DotA in almost any case where I have a tundra start, but admittedly I play with a range of mods that change the overall balance with policies, so I realize that may not be viable in unmodded game.

One thing I think worth mentioning about Tundra/GotH start is the amount of gold you can get...adding an extra food to fur and truffle camps actually makes them legitimate tiles to if your capital growth is already good enough and you can afford to work some 2 food tiles.

I play on Deity difficulty and have found every tundra start to be quite workable. I really suspect you are making assumptions from a couple bad experiences. Being able to persevere even with below average starts really opens up more possibilities!
i'm sure you're exaggerating with "every" tundra start, but i'll give them more of a chance in the future

Top Bottom