Major Steam store update - lots of improvements!

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
http://store.steampowered.com/about/newstore

Some of the major changes include filtering for what is displayed on the store page (ie you can tell it not to show early access games in the new release category), a much improved search feature with a lot more options and functionality, new (and bluer) layout, Steam Discovery feature for helping you find new games, and curators who can suggest games to you as well (entirerly optional, you have to manually follow them).

Currently I am following TotalBiscuit and PCGamer, but any admin of a Steam usergroup that has at least 10 recommended games can become a curator. Hence the list is filled with a lot of random and often poorly named curators.

Also I made up a small list of games for the the CFC Steam group's curator list.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CFCforums#curation

Descriptions are limited to only 152 characters, so they aren't great.

That looks slick enough, but I really wish they would have worked on the game inventory screen instead. As things stand now it's really tough to organize your games. I've got about 400 and there isn't a way to put them in multiple categories, so if I want to mark a game as "completed", I have to move it out of my FPS section or whatever and move it into "completed", which is kind of stupid.

I've got about 400 and there isn't a way to put them in multiple categories, so if I want to mark a game as "completed", I have to move it out of my FPS section or whatever and move it into "completed", which is kind of stupid.

There is, or at least there's one in the beta client.

This was long, long, long overdue. I love the update, only wish it had come sooner.

Steam Music Player is now in open beta as well with some free music DLCs for Valve games (well, I think you may need to own the games anyway, but Valve put theirs at 75% off for the rest of the month) and any other soundtracks you bought on Steam, such as Bastion. You can easily switch to the beta client in the Settings menu in Steam, I don't think it has any downsides whatsoever.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14358/?snr=1_41_4__42

EDIT: And of course, you can also add all your own music too.

EDIT: It even adds music you downloaded from custom servers, such as those in Garry's mod. One reddit user is now wondering if this counts as piracy...

This came as a bit of a surprise to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon.

Also by the time I started to get DLC the argument had long since been lost so....

.......... At least your not pumping like $400 into CoD, I guess that sort of makes you ok.
DLC has gotten completely out of control as of late. Rome total war paid DLC for extra blood. That would be hilarious if people were not actually buying it. :sad:

I'm still getting used to the new layout. I'm with Warpus though, the library really needs some attention. We should be able to easily move games around in different categories and it would be nice if we had the option to rename our games.

I want to be able to tag them with whatever I want. So that a game could be tagged with FPS, COMPLETED, and OLDSCHOOl.. or whatever.

There isn't an API of some sort I could get access to that might allow me to build my own web-based interface to my games?.. is there? Because I'd just build my own, if I could.. Been waiting way too long for this.

Top Bottom