Warlock 2: The Exiled

bhavv

Glorious World Dictator
I just found out about this game that was released a few days ago.

http://www.warlock2.com

Apparently its much improved over the first game, and also uses the Civ V engine. Basically its RPG type units, mages and spells in a TBS Civ style game, very fun and addictive.

Its still downloading for me, but I loved the first one a lot. If anyone wants something to play until CivBE is released, then this would be a good choice.

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "And then there’s the other mages. Even more so than in Master of the Arcane, they feel like a distraction rather than proper opponents. The worlds are the enemy and this time around, the game is constructed to make the most of that aspect. Enemy Mages are more like speedbumps on the road to Ardania rather than rivals acting toward the same goal. That feeds back into the questing narrative – you are the hero attempting to achieve something great and your enemies are attempting to stop you rather than opposing in parallel, as Ghandi always tends to when I’m trying to reach Alpha Centauri. Warlock II isn’t a game of devious plotting and super strategic AI."

/sigh

I really wish AI development wasn't always backburnered.

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "And then there’s the other mages. Even more so than in Master of the Arcane, they feel like a distraction rather than proper opponents. The worlds are the enemy and this time around, the game is constructed to make the most of that aspect. Enemy Mages are more like speedbumps on the road to Ardania rather than rivals acting toward the same goal. That feeds back into the questing narrative – you are the hero attempting to achieve something great and your enemies are attempting to stop you rather than opposing in parallel, as Ghandi always tends to when I’m trying to reach Alpha Centauri. Warlock II isn’t a game of devious plotting and super strategic AI."

/sigh

I really wish AI development wasn't always backburnered.

Just bought this game while I wait for Beyond Earth. It was on sale for 50% off, so I grabbed it for 15$. Already put 20 hours in (and enjoyed them) so it was worth it to me.

The thing is, I'm trying to start a new game and just can't get back into the game. There are three major problems for me.
1. Enemies can enter my territory at any time. The AI walks their unit all the way up passed my minor cities and declares war at a major one. No open borders needed or anything. This problem was solved 10 years ago in Civ III.
2. When you start the game, your capital is founded automatically for you. It is always in a terrible spot it seems. The second/third cities have to just squeeze in to lackluster spots.
3. There are minor cities in the game...like city states that are always at war with you. This provides nothing interesting at all. Basically free cities that are also in bad spots in the map.

I wish I could mod, cause it might keep this game entertaining longer.

You had the AI declare war on you? I played this game quite a bit recently trying to flesh out my achievements for it and I don't think the AI ever declared on me even once, it was always me on the offensive.

You had the AI declare war on you? I played this game quite a bit recently trying to flesh out my achievements for it and I don't think the AI ever declared on me even once, it was always me on the offensive.

I've played two full games on the middle difficulty. The first game one great mage asked for an alliance, and so after wards declared war on me. The next game the first mage I met declared war on me the next turn after with his one wondering skeleton archer.

Doesn't matter too much anyway I guess, the AI is no threat. It doesn't understand how Dispel works so all you have to do is stack every enchantment you can research on your guys and you'll walk all over the AI.

Yeah, after a few games and actually starting to figure out the predictable AI, this game just seems a bit to easy.

An enjoyable investment, but I don't see myself playing it again after BE hits in 2 weeks.

Top Bottom