Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

I'm looking for an explanation of how the new increased maintainance costs work. I tried searching the site for it but struck out. But I bet it's here somewhere. A pointer is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey, guys!
Your allways so nice and all that, so I figured I'll ask you somthing weired:)
Do you know for cerden if it would be allright, if I reconverted & edited the
original Civ4 Intro Movie, then upload it to some people, free to download.:confused:
Not very familier with law/rights & all that u know:crazyeye:

aBond2006 said:
Hey, guys!
original Civ4 Intro Movie, then upload it to some people, free to download.:confused:

Hi,

Pretty much everything Firaxis created for the game is their right. That means that the rest of us don't have the right to distribute their stuff for free. :)
That's the simplest way to put it.
I'm sure there's a 1,000-page rule-book of how these things are handled in more detail somewhere. :crazyeye:

Civrules said:
Hi,

Pretty much everything Firaxis created for the game is their right. That means that the rest of us don't have the right to distribute their stuff for free. :)
That's the simplest way to put it.
I'm sure there's a 1,000-page rule-book of how these things are handled in more detail somewhere. :crazyeye:
ok? but though of that we do actually edit a lot of staff in there and some even putting their own name in it as the editors of those files & then uploading them as our mod, that we can do? I don't get it then...:crazyeye:???

It's probably something like: we have absolutely no rights whatsoever and everything we create by editing this game is their property.
However, they will not do anything about it as long as it doesn't hurt their business. Creating mods doesn't hurt their business. It is even good for their product. However, recreating the intro file and distributing it for free to potential buyers who got an illegal version of the game without the intro would hurt their business.
So, I think it just has to do with whether it hurts their business or not.

(I'm not trying to suggest that you would be doing something to help software piracy. It's just an example.)

Disclaimer: I didn't follow law school or something like that. So my comments are not based on a clear and complete knowlegde of the law (which is even different in every country).

aBond2006 said:
Hey, guys!

Distribution, free or not, of your modified intro (your uploading it is distribution) violates U.S. Copyright Law (17USC) and could result in a lawsuit unless you first obtain their permission.

What you can do is make a patch which does not include anything created by anyone else and distribute the patch. The user of your patch must have obtained a copy of the game for your patch to be usable. If the user has an illegal copy it's not your concern because they did not obtain any of it from you.

This applies to MODS as well. Technically, if I release a MOD which includes someone else's MOD, I am in violation of copyright law if I do not have the other person's permission to distribute their work. A MOD which does not include any of the files published with the game is legal; while a MOD which includes an edited copy of one of the files is not.

Hi Fans,
I am new with Civ IV, the first thing I figure out is there is no Editor like in
Civ III. Now I that there is a World Builder, Iwrote the Manual. Now my question:
How can I alter the unit strength ect. and is it possible to designate certain units to certain Civs ? I do'nt mean the Unique Units.

Thank you all for your incoming help.
Old Prussia

Hi Old Prussia,

For modding related questions, you should post in the main Civ4 Creation forum at http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

To alter unit strength, you should be able to do it by editing the XML files. Not sure about your second question since I don't do modding myself.

Hopefully Firaxis would include an editor like the one in Civ3 in the second expansion pack...

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can tell me how I get to see the spaceship I'm building in Civ IV? It used to be possible to do this in Civ III.

Regards,

CP

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can tell me how I get to see the spaceship I'm building in Civ IV? It used to be possible to do this in Civ III.

Regards,

CP
Press F8 while in the game, and then click the "Spaceship" tab.

By the way, you should ask any other questions you have in the Official Question & Answer Thread.

Top Bottom