Planetside 2

Malachi256

Prince
The hype train is starting to load up for Planetside 2. I was a huge fan of PS1, and I think PS2 has some serious potential.

The short version = Planetside is an MMOFPS. Huge (or smaller) battles; infantry, ground vehicles, and aircraft are all important; instant action - log in and get into the fight, or join a guild and be involved in more organized engagements.

PS2 will be free to play, and I strongly suspect the monetization will be mostly cosmetic stuff.

Totalbiscuit is on board and has done a number of very good videos:

An intro to the game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptGe-UplC34

Nice night battle graphics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HgC6Exs0U

MAXes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMwZ2c37KL8

Is this the new Generic Modern Shooter #5372 ?

Is this the new Generic Modern Shooter #5372 ?

Sometimes it is worth checking out the videos first before commenting. While it probably won't revolutionize infantry combat, PS2 is looking pretty damn awesome.

I got a beta key from PC Gamer magazine yesterday, just got to wait for beta to start now :) .

Exciting new ways to shoot people isn't the main appeal, it's the 1000-player battles.

I got a beta key from PC Gamer magazine yesterday, just got to wait for beta to start now :) .

Exciting new ways to shoot people isn't the main appeal, it's the 1000-player battles.

Yeah, I find it a little funny that I basically don't play FPS's at all anymore - just the occasional single player FPS, but that's it... but I'm more hyped about PS2 than any other game right now. The big battles, being able to contribute through so many different roles... I can't wait.

And the game is simply gorgeous - here's a long, but good video (it starts roughly 2 minutes in):

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-2-live-stream-2784.htm

Some really cool massive battle gameplay being streamed from E3 by Totalbiscuit or totalhalibut or whatever he calls himself. Squad based combat with friends looks like it's going to be great. Really looking forward to rolling out with a column of tanks, crewing bombers, galaxy drops etc. To think this is still just a fraction of the amount of players there will be!

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLakXgelJGY

So I played PS1 years ago and really enjoyed it for a while, and was excited to hear about PS2.

Got into beta and was pretty disappointed. Just wasn't fun.

It's been out now for some time and I picked it back up on steam (free-to-play) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Some totally epic battle experiences, tons of variety, graphics and sound are awesome. Pretty steep learning curve - had to get used to dying a lot.

Anyway, I put in 30 bucks for a 3 month membership sub to support the devs, and I wanted to pipe up here to let people know about it - I'm not normally an FPS guy, but this game has been dominating my summer.

I think it's great fun. Just a silly little shooting game to get your fps fix. I love sniping, especially that feeling you get when you headshot someone from over half a kilometer away while adjusting for bullet drop. I just wish there were more addons to the sniper rifles like bullet types that allow you to shoot straighter and maybe even a 20x scope.

*bump*, it's okay, although not quite liking the new 'lattice' system

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

There is quite some stuff I dislike about PS2, but overall the game is certainly a great F2P title and I highly recommend to at least try it. Being in a big battle with 50 - 100 guys that are using combined arms can be a quite intense experience. :)

It is worth mentioning that the price for many guns has been reduced recently (ingame points AND real currency, one of my biggest gripes about the game) . There are still a lot of overpriced 5$ stuff around, but overall you now have a sort of easier time to get what you want without having to spend real cash for the game. There is also a new capture system in place to "streamline" troop movement, although it seems to degenerate into big zergs from time to time (again).

I watched a couple of games, same old stories, interns who can't program making silly collision boxes, wonky physics, disgusting hitboxes, terrible net-code and chinese players on euro serves who teleport all around.

I watched a couple of games, same old stories, interns who can't program making silly collision boxes, wonky physics, disgusting hitboxes, terrible net-code and chinese players on euro serves who teleport all around.

Of the above, I only agree that there are occasionally teleport/warp hackers, who I've reported already. I haven't seen "silly hit boxes", although there is some forced silliness with being auto-killed on the vehicle deployment bads. Otherwise PS2 is more credible than the average asian* mmo fps.

*I don't mean that in a rasist way.

The vehicle deployment pads are murderous. I remember playing medic one day and I saw a dead comrades. This was right after a huge battle so I chalked it up to that. I went it, revived someone, and bam, killed by spawn.

Then more medics went in....

All in all, judging by how many times I was revived (four) and the number of people there, 30 people were killed. Admittedly, spawn kills five times, shame on spawn. Kill us another twenty-five times, shame on us.

The bases were redesigned to lower this problem though but its still a small issue on open vehicle pads.

My nephew is the creative director for Planetside 2, but I've never played the game. Is it any good?

My nephew is the creative director for Planetside 2, but I've never played the game. Is it any good?

The community has its share of asshats and glory-hungry morons who somehow get promoted up to the leadership of the platoon leading your squad. Despite that, I usually pick it up every so often, play it solid for a week, take a break, and come back.

Patching has improved the game greatly since release, though there is now the problem of the sheer number of Rank 100 powerlevelers in the game.

Well the fact that you go back speaks well for the game given all the game choices out there. Matt, my nephew, is a bit of a glory hunter himself.

Top Bottom