Europa Universalis IV

Sadly, it looks like it will be somewhat eurocentric :(

What did you expect :p

As long as there are expansions which do an OK job with improving the rest of the world I am cool with that.

Thanks, but if such a decision is made, can it be undone? do they expire? Is there a list of such decisions that have been made?

It should be able to be undone. A list of such decisions (province modifiers) should show up in the top right corner of the province tab in the form of icons.

EDIT: HJ: well, there's that, and there's also the modding community. It still would be nice to see PDS itself put more effort into the rest of the world during development.

Thanks, I'll check.

I could not find anything on the province screen to say what policies were in effect.

Yeah, the Eurocentrism of the game and the Euro-wanking of the developers is beginning to turn me off from EUIV.

Hopefully they can make it up in the upcoming DD's, but considering their attitude it isn't likely.

Same here, too.

With CKII's Sword of Islam, for instance, I was happy they were giving non-Europeans a bit of love (even the upcoming Legacy of Rome focus on the Byzantines and Orthodox Christianity is slightly un-eurocentric, since the Orthodox world historically hasn't been really considered a full part of (Western) European civilization, or, at least, a more foreign part of it). I hope that if they don't give non-European nations more love, then that each of their expansions will give something for non-Europeans, be it China and Japan, or the Ottomans and Mughals in the Middle East, or the New World peoples.

Anyhow, on the PI forums, the developers said that they believe most of their players play European nations, so they want to focus on the Europeans first, at least. It's a pity. I don't know whether the developers are to blame (and I don't want to be too harsh on what I am sure will be a good game), but it is a pity.

I guess it's the same reason (at least partially) that so many games are marketed towards the Americans - a massive market with assured sales. A European studio producing a game about the heyday of European colonisation and called Europa Universalis? You focus on Europe first and sort out the rest of the world later.

I understand that, my problem is that the rest of the world isn't done right, almost as if it's an afterthought. Divine Wind, for example, completely messed up Japan, and didn't really improve Asia a whole lot other than adding some new unifications.
On the other hand, I like how CK2 is doing its DLCs in this regard. If something similar was done with EU4 instead of making 3 Eurocentric expansions and then 1 afterthought "Asian" expansion I would be fine with that.
EU4 will still be a fun game, no doubt, but if even the devs are stating that they're focusing on Europe above all it turns me off a bit.

Given some of the comments on Paradox forums, I'd say that PI will get criticised for whatever they do. Here, they seem to be stating quite honestly that they are focussing on Europe and people are blasting them for being honest about a known game failing!

Given some of the comments on Paradox forums, I'd say that PI will get criticised for whatever they do. Here, they seem to be stating quite honestly that they are focussing on Europe and people are blasting them for being honest about a known game failing!
I think EU4 has an quite a positive response. You will always have fourmites that will complain about something silly.:p

Same here, too.

With CKII's Sword of Islam, for instance, I was happy they were giving non-Europeans a bit of love (even the upcoming Legacy of Rome focus on the Byzantines and Orthodox Christianity is slightly un-eurocentric, since the Orthodox world historically hasn't been really considered a full part of (Western) European civilization, or, at least, a more foreign part of it). I hope that if they don't give non-European nations more love, then that each of their expansions will give something for non-Europeans, be it China and Japan, or the Ottomans and Mughals in the Middle East, or the New World peoples.

Anyhow, on the PI forums, the developers said that they believe most of their players play European nations, so they want to focus on the Europeans first, at least. It's a pity. I don't know whether the developers are to blame (and I don't want to be too harsh on what I am sure will be a good game), but it is a pity.

Well Poland was pretty unique as well, and they never gave Poland any attention in any game. And Poland is in Europe! (Or North African depending on what side you stand on in the debate. :p)

Actually, I thought that Poland was the direct political heir of the Atlantean Empire, which explains their superiority.

Well Poland was pretty unique as well, and they never gave Poland any attention in any game. And Poland is in Europe! (Or North African depending on what side you stand on in the debate. :p)

Oh, you silly CFC Poles! :mischief:

No, but you're certainly right. Perhaps it is more proper to call it Western Eurocentrism, since most of the focus nations are Western European... but even then that would be a bit problematic, as Poland was Catholic and all, and they're certailny going to focus on Russia. Maybe we could call it "Colonial Powers centrism" or something, I dunno.

Anyhow, on the PI forums, I have read that the devs said they are, in terms of the new historical events, of course, not just going to focus on 8 big nations (who are almost certainly all colonial/HRE Western powers, though I have a slim, foolish hope that the Ottomans are one of them), but I hope they don't just give major non-Europeans (and Poles :mischief:) only one or two events and call it a day.

EDIT: On the PI forums, the devs said that there'll be the big 8 with the most "flavor and fun" and AI, then there'll be the lesser 9 with some of that, and then the even lesser 16 with even less of that, and the the last tier - the rest - that don't get much. Here's hoping that at least some unexpected surprises get into the lesser 9 category, like China or the Mughals or, yes, Poland. :mischief:

Anyhow, on the PI forums, I have read that the devs said they are, in terms of the new historical events, of course, not just going to focus on 8 big nations (who are almost certainly all colonial/HRE Western powers, though I have a slim, foolish hope that the Ottomans are one of them),

The original mention of the "big 8" came out of a discussion about the Ottos:

Johan said:
Eu4 will have more uniqueness for each country.. And the Ottomans are among the top 8 most important countries in our list.

Yep. Far from a foolish hope, the Ottos are the *only* nation we know for a fact is one of the Big Eight.

Oh, wow, I missed that, actually. Sounds good.

And I'm not bashing PI or anything for their decision - I understand that the game is Europa Universalis, but I just hope that PI gives a bit for people like me who would prefer playing non-European nations. I always found it pitiful that in EUIII, for instance, the African states are hilariously primitive and weak (in one game, my brother colonized all of West Africa by 1500 as one of the Italian city-states) - which in reality would have been otherwise, as several of the African kingdoms and city-states were quite developed and had complex systems. I don't need them to be on the same level as the Europeans, but I do wish that they won't exist just for the Europeans to roll over them.

That said, the devs are much better than some of the forum members on PI, who are much, much more dismissive, annoyingly (infuriatingly) so, of Eurocentrism concerns. At least PI is being honest, as Arakhor said, and I respect their decision in the end. I hope that the fans who are voicing these concerns about Eurocentrism will gently remind the devs to make sure the non-Europeans, or even the less remembered Europeans (like them Poles), that they too will get something.

At least, the fact that the Ottomans are one of the major 8 is a good sign. Hopefully, there will be more non-Western focuses in later DLC.

Castile-Spain, France, England, Brandenburg-Prussia, Austria, the Ottoman Empire, Muscovy-Russia, and Sweden

Top Bottom