War Thunder - free to play air combat

How can they possibly fit in mobile versions of this game?

To address concerns on page 2 (I'm just recently aware of this thread again) finding a good Historical Battle is much, much easier if you select the EU server or Any Available. Of course, you need a really solid connection or your ping will kill you, but there's tons of players, esp. Russians. Getting into HB is quicker than American Arcade, and all the tier ranges are full.

Historical Battle also has a realistic flight model so you don't see the ridiculous crap pulled in Arcade. I much prefer it.

Joystick in Arcade is more buggy than Big Rig Racing or whatever it was called (worst game of all time).

I've had zero problems with ping even on Russian servers (237) in both Arcade and HB modes. The joystick controls are still being worked on, but mouse is definitely king for aiming in Arcade and HB, but the joystick can perform a lot more maneuvers and doesn't have the Instructor to "correct" or prevent you from doing stupid moves with the mouse.

HB mode is about 60% Arcade and 40% FRB, its a pretty fun cross over between the two with a lot more interesting objectives and larger maps (these are being made more interesting too, new Bulge map has AI B-17s for one team to defend and the other to kill). Sadly, bombing is pretty useless in it.

I pretty much just leave the server setting to 'Any Available' for best matchmaking, since ping doesn't really made any difference.

Also I just had an awesome round in my H6K to kill an enemy base, as well as some ground units, and show town two enemy planes that tried to attack me at the end and destroyed one on the runway. 45k silver lions and 17.5k XP. Then my H6K was shot down by AAA at the end too, and we won right as they killed our last ground target :D

Oh, well I've been losing connection to the Russian servers playing at my home, but before uni semester ended it was fantastic there.

Now if only they swarm the map by the hundreds of thousands.

For the CAS guys at least.

Q&A with the devs, unofficial transcription:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/1f0ysu/unofficial_transcript_of_dev_qa_from_this_friday/

tl;dr
- Changes to different cannon and MG guns will be in the next big update as they are tweaked. Particularly Hispano cannons are getting reworked, including recoil. Japanese Type-99 mk2 will also be fixed in HB mode (its currently under-performing, which I noticed).
- A future update will include the option to mount different ammo belts for each gun on your plane.
- More types of bombs and more correct/historically accurate bomb loads will be in future updates as well.
- Ballistics changes to reflect the size and weight of rounds, especially cannon rounds. (This could mean that 37mms will finally act like the heavy shells they are and drop faster).
- Economy changes will happen at or after 1.3 and be between 1.27 and 1.29's economies (that wouldn't be too bad actually).
- Match making problem with gih tier planes getting into low tier matches has been fixed but not added to the game yet.
- Every bullet and shell type has its own calculations for trahectory, etc, with differences between HE and AP rounds and so on.
- Some dumbo requested they add a B-17 that was modified to have 13 turrets.
- Repair rate calucation:
A: It is calculated based on the statistics of players and the efficiency of the plane, the better the plane performs in each mode the more it costs to repair. The F8 is not as popular and efficient as the A5 in both HB and FRB hence why it receives a lower repair cost.

- More ground targets for bombers to destroy will be added in future updates.
- AI bots will get better planes than just starter ones in higher rank matches.
- Ramming mechanics still being tweaked.
- Possible changes to AAA installations, particularly around airfields.
- War Thunder on PS4 will be very similar to PC, cross platform play a priority. (PEASANT WILL BE ON THE MENU!)
- Big FM changes, especially for allies in 1.30 (mostly fixes)
- Statistics shown when mouse overing planes in the tree will not be updated soon.
- Stupid "X" symbols that replaced the Swastikas on some German plane tails will be removed or replaced by a Balkenkreuz.

The devs have released an article discussing how they model every single bullet and shell that is fired and the damage models in the game as well as the changes being implemented to these mechanics in 1.31 (1.30 is now 1.31 apparently).
http://warthunder.com/en/news/158/current/

There are some patch notes for the dev server but they aren't entirely accurate and might not reflect the final release so I'm not going to post them yet, but:
- Ammo belts and upgrades are mostly getting cheaper.
- Many repair costs lowered, a few raised.
- Planes cheaper in general.
- Some other changes to some FMs and Ballistics of at least some bullet and cannon types.

Also you get a free Premium biplane for the first nation you play after the 1.31 patch, the others cost 250 Golden Eagles.

So I guess everyone is going to play Russians at first since they get a Chaika. (UK gets a Gladiator, Germany an italian in a Falco, USA gets a crappy Buffalo, and Japan gets an A5M4 which isn't really useful at all).

EDIT: Imgur album of some pics from the dev server and a video:
http://imgur.com/a/srSMC

Link to video.

I don't understand why they added two American prototypes that were made in the large numbers of 1 and 3 respectively, and were canceled for being mediocre. Also why they are adding new planes that apparently don't quite have finished FMs.

EDIT: New map, Cliffed Coast

Link to video.

Well the prototypes, if they stick to the release trees they have on the website, are premium planes so I'm some what okay with it. Some what because I would rather they finish the trees before adding more premium planes

Looks like many of the planes are either half the price or 2/3 the price of what they are now, judging by the screen shots that is

Apparently they aren't new so much as they have been out of HB rotation for a long time, but yeah, looking forward to it... kind of. I have found the Japanese planes very disappointing against anything more than low-level planes or each other for the most part :/

Anyway, I bought the German starter pack with the Dora last night, that thing horsehockys money and XP. Take off? Several hundred XP! Flip yourp lane over while landing and don't get a soft landing bonus? Here's 1200 XP anyway! Cough on an enemy? 200+ XP and 700+ lions!

I shot a spitfire down in HB mode and got 12,000 lions.

Top Bottom