Banished - town building colonization survival game

More terraforming options would be sweet.

I dont see any stronghold style walls, towers, military units and tower defense Maniacal.
Can someone PLEASE make a new stronghold game.

It's mostly sandbox, but there are some really tough achievements and you can't build one town to get them all, so you need to play through it more than a few times to get them all.

Right now, I have the happiness objective (Smiles All Around) and the one of every building objective (Builder). I'm going for 300 population objective in this one as well as Jack of All Trades (requires 200 population and every possible job is filled for at least 5 years or something). No screenshots right now, but I'm basically neutral on food with 255 mouths to feed and 20-some nomads just showed up. Need to make a decision on whether they can settle.

I like that dense downtown area in New Helgen. Mine isn't as packed... yet.

I have finally fixed my firewood problem, but now my food is starting to run out again. It was up to almost 10,000 before suddenly dropping again. I blame the children.
Thats why I made a habit of building spare stuff for more or less everything. I always have several gatherers and hunters in reserve to compensate for a bad harvest. ;)

Back from holiday and you guys have already started to build some impressive and beautiful towns!

I got a quick bit of play in last night and after a small starvation scare in Y2 (lost about 5 people out of my starting group on hard) things have stabilised. I'm annoyed as I thought I'd left enough space in the heart of my settlement for a market but its not wide enough by 2 squares!!!

Going to start an new town so the aesthetic hole in the heart of my community doesn't drive me mad....

I'll grab some screens as well this time!

Ashdown is thriving after the hit from the tornado! I've set up a few more forest RGOs (I've started using that old acronym again) in the west, east, and now southeast, and now I have a farming community stretching northwards. I've nicknamed the island to the southwest "Manhattan" and it's a massive fishery. Aesthetically, I'd like to rearrange some things, but I really like the idea of incorporating orchards into the city center to sort of serve as parks and putting the crops and pastures further out. My peeps are wasted 24/7--I think I have 5 breweries producing berry, plum, peach, pear, and wheat ales, with another couple planned.

Don't know if it was a bug or a feature, but somehow one of my citizens managed to show up on the coast of the southwest tavern and could not move from his location. He turned homeless and starved to death, but was quite happy until the very end. Too bad there wasn't a Hangover: Part Banished achievement.

Here's a new picture of the downtown and part of the westerlies, Y40, 325 residents total:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Ashdown - Y40 Downtown.jpg
    Ashdown - Y40 Downtown.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,844
I am extremely tempted by this game and it's only because I'm such a damned cheapskate of my rather pronounced parsimony that I didn't buy it yesterday when it flashed up on Steam.

I'll get it eventually but in the meantime I'm really enjoying the screenshots

Heres my first town rather optimistically called Grandadopia. It started a new one after this screen was taken.
Spoiler :

As you can see I had my first forest RGO (liking the vicky term) set up and was starting on a second. If only that gap for the market had been bigger...

My second town of Oakstead (lots of screens).

Spoiler :

Settings and initial start location.
Spoiler :

My starting layout takes shape. The houses are slightly offset from the market and I'll correct that later. Also later I'll move the wood cutter and stockpile. Note that I lost 5 people to starvation this winter.
Spoiler :

Not much has changed in a year except the situation has stabilized and I've built a barn nearer to the gatherers hut
Spoiler :

In the harsh winter of 3 a fire breaks out in the foresters lodge. I fear for my gatherers hut and the majority of my homes. I have no wells! Luckily it only wipes out the foresters, hunters and a single home leaving my main food producer unharmed.
Spoiler :

I rush a well to help in future fires.
Spoiler :

I build a school to get more efficient workers
Spoiler :

Things are shaping up ok. I've tidied the southern part of town up and placed a traders post in the SW. Had a couple of deaths from starvation in year 8 which was annoying as there was food in storage but they just wouldn't go get it for some reason. Maybe I need more market workers. Plans are to get some farms going in a few years and stone quarry in the NE (above my forest RGO). I'll extend my forest RGO are to the S and SE of the current zone.
Spoiler :

Loving this game so far. Like EQandcivfanatic says it would make a good SG game as long as some rules and plans were thrashed out before anyone played. The main thing that would need addressing in an SG would be the overwhelming importance of the first 2/3 years and how this stage would be handled. Maybe some thing like for the first 5 years people can only play 1 year per set?

Loving this game so far. Like EQandcivfanatic says it would make a good SG game as long as some rules and plans were thrashed out before anyone played. The main thing that would need addressing in an SG would be the overwhelming importance of the first 2/3 years and how this stage would be handled. Maybe some thing like for the first 5 years people can only play 1 year per set?

As you say the first years are critical, and for the sake of the survival of the town, it's probably better off if one player gets those years. I'd say in general best way to go would be 4-5 year segments per player in general, and fairly easy starting conditions. But yeah, I'd be game for a SG if others are in for it.

From everything I've seen and most of what I've read on other forums, this game loses its luster rather quickly and doesn't seem worthy of a $20 price tag. I'm thinking I might wait for a sale now.

Well, it is a citybuilder.

Sim City isn't exactly that hard or diverse either (once you have figured it out). ;)
Banished has a bit less building options - seems a bit more brutal, though. My last town just went from 500 to 200 pop.
Ouch. :p

Still, I'd say its a pretty decent game, even if the price is somewhat high.
It is something where you can just play, sit back and watch your townsfolk do the job. :)

Yeah, I'd say that if things go well and you play right, it may be a bit boring, but as city builders go, Banished is superior to all others for two reason:

1. A mistake or particularly devastating disaster can kill everyone, and isn't just a minor setback as it would be in other games, especially SimCity.

2. The game actually functions as advertised and it's easily one of the most polished releases I've seen on Steam in a long, long time.

So far the only annoying thing in this game I have found is how food and starvation work. I've had several episodes now where people have starved because the won't eat food they have on them till they get home or they keep switching tasks rather than being focused on getting something to eat. In my small village its a pain but I can imagine if a starvation spiral starts in a large settlement it could induce real rage as people don't help themselves.

I suspect part of my problem lies with not very well structured transport networks.

Another thing I'd like to see is being able to tell specific markets/barns/storage areas what they can and can't have in them. I don't want my market vendors hauling logs away from where I've put my firewood cutters especially when they could be hauling food!

I see so much potential in an already well made and solid game. Horray!

EDIT: Thats 2 things not one...

Another thing I'd like to see is being able to tell specific markets/barns/storage areas what they can and can't have in them. I don't want my market vendors hauling logs away from where I've put my firewood cutters especially when they could be hauling food!
This!

The only other real problem I would like addressed is building rotation. I would like to be able to rotate buildings 45 degrees at a time...

This!

The only other real problem I would like addressed is building rotation. I would like to be able to rotate buildings 45 degrees at a time...

Can you build diagonal roads? I would love to be able to do that. Get that real old-city sprawl feel.

Can you build diagonal roads? I would love to be able to do that. Get that real old-city sprawl feel.

If you hold down shift while making a road it does a pseudo-diagonal. Its basically just a road that is stepped every other block.

If you hold down shift while making a road it does a pseudo-diagonal. Its basically just a road that is stepped every other block.

Well at least road length doesn't matter (?) like it does in the impressions games so you could feasibly do that...but it would be nice to have diagonal roads. I'll probably download this game tonight. I loved the impressions games; It's been a long time since I was so excited about a new game.

Well at least road length doesn't matter (?) like it does in the impressions games so you could feasibly do that...but it would be nice to have diagonal roads. I'll probably download this game tonight. I loved the impressions games; It's been a long time since I was so excited about a new game.

Yeah, its not the length that really matters, just the aesthetics of it. I have one in my new town just to try it out, and cut down on the time my people spent walking to clear cut a forest.

And yes, it is quite an awesome game, I'm having a blast with it. I'll try and get pics up of my new town soon.

Finally getting my town to boom. It was after I got my first crop seeds that things started to pick up. I now have corn, beans and peppers as well as cows, sheep and chickens. I really want some orchard crops so I can make some nice beer/cider/whatever!

My main frustrations are still stock handling. I want to be able to direct stock from one place to another and set priorities and put bans on certain gods in certain stores.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The second image highlights why having a move goods order would be good. In the storage in the forest RGO located to the right of the screen there is loads of wood. I want my labours to move it to where my woodcutters are. Maybe a donkey unit like in settlers could be used for this?

Top Bottom