Strange issue with vanilla Civ and Win 7

Chrysostom

Chieftain
Hi, I'm experiencing a strange issue with vanilla Civ 2 and 32-bit Windows 7. Civ installs fine, and runs fine...except when in the opponents are moving/attacking. It starts displaying the first few moves, then gives an hourglass and a (Not Responding) in the title bar. It stays that way until there is a dialog box. The problem being, then I can't tell what's going on!

Any ideas? Haven't been able to find anyone who seems to have this exact issue. Again, Civ II vanilla, with latest patch. Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit. I've tried running in compatibility mode, both XP and Windows 95, but it still acts the same. It's a brand new computer, so definitely should not be getting overwhelmed CPU.

Thanks!

I have the exact same issue! Yes, I get the spinning circle cursor and can hear moves and attacks going on but can't see them. The screen just freezes until it's my turn again then everything is normal. I am running plain vanilla Civ 2 classic (2.42) and with a fresh Windows 7 installation so it's a very clean system with hardly any other programs installed. I'd love to find the solution to this problem since otherwise Civ2 is running perfect on my 32-bit Win 7 Ultimate system. Thanks.

:bump:

Same problem with ToT 1.1 on Windows 8.1 64-bit, tested with and without MastermindX's patch and ToTPP 0.10. I'd previously run ToT on Vista 64 without problems, and the first time I ran the game it was fine; every time since (including after reinstalls) the screen will hang after the first 3-5 seconds of the AI's turn.

I still don't know what specifically triggers the problem, but when I removed the CD, these hangups dropped dramatically.

Top Bottom