Deity - Best early game gold use

InaneObserver

Warlord
I've been experimenting with the best use of gold early game. Usually I end up saving 500 for a settler, to save on the build time and lost growth. If there is a risk of losing out on religion I may buy an emergency shrine. I may also save up for libraries to avoid delaying NC.

All in all I have a feeling there are better ways of going about this:think: Any thoughts?

buying tiles,archer and eventually a library in the last expo is all I spend gold for before education ... and composite upgrades when needed ofc .

Workers, granary, library, archers, settlers.

Map said what I need. With early workers, it's luxs improve faster (many times sold to AIs) an mines for settlers.
Libraries for early NC.
Granaries if I didn't have time to build one before my first caravans, if I'm going for internal trade routes.
Archers for defense and CSquest. But I use to build one or two before NC, or settlers.
Settler if I need to get a spot faster (natural wonder near CS, or settle forward AI).

#1 Tiles. On Deity you are in danger of losing good tiles in the third ring of your cap.
#2 Extra archers for defense.
#3 Pay off the neighboring warmonger.
#4 Caravans, easy science on deity.

Tradition (peaceful) - settler/library as appropriate
Liberty (warmongering) - UPGRADES!!! (or a Horseman in time to steal 2nd capital)

Granaries if I didn't have time to build one before my first caravans, if I'm going for internal trade routes.

So you're saying that total growth is faster if you hard build a settler, and spend gold to get a fast food caravan routed back to cap? As opposed to spending the same-ish gold buying the settler? Would be cool to see the numbers on this.

buying tiles,archer and eventually a library in the last expo is all I spend gold for before education ... and composite upgrades when needed ofc .

Same but in about half of the games I do not have enough gold for a library because I've spent too much gold on tiles. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Probably depends on a situation.

So you're saying that total growth is faster if you hard build a settler, and spend gold to get a fast food caravan routed back to cap? As opposed to spending the same-ish gold buying the settler? Would be cool to see the numbers on this.

Nope, caravans from cap to sats.

It's function of total gold and income. If I can build a settler before 500 gold, I buy a granary. It's more about have fast settler on rather than short time growth in my capital.
A granary is 340, caravans 390, settler 500. It's all about maximize first 50 turns.

Many times, I prefer to build a worker instead a granary before settlers. Stealing workers are nice but really random.

Very interesting discussion. The tactic I question so far is the concept of an “emergency shrine”. I put a high priority on founding, and early shrines are part of that. But by the time I know I am danger of not founding, a late shrine is extremely unlikely to make the difference. The fpt output is just too meager. You need them early, or don't bother, in my experience.

It's surprising how little priority is placed on settlers:) If there is a high number of Liberty players then I guess it becomes less surprising.

The "emergency shrine" is probably not a good idea. Then again, when the faith count for a pantheon keeps climbing by 5, squeezing in a couple more points early by rushbuying could make a big difference.

Worker, of course. There are plenty of situations when that's not the case, but, generally, if there are few or more resources to improve i can't imagine anything with a higher rate of return.

-Worker(if you can't get enough from other sources)
-Archers

Buying archers is strong. Much better to have a unit now than later when barb camp notifications will begin to appear.

It's surprising how little priority is placed on settlers:)

For GnK it was the case but not under BNW.

Funnily, I seem to be burning my wad on unit maintenance alone lately. :) I've been really pushing the limit on unit supply. Once I've settled/captured 4 cities, the pressure seems to slack off.

I don't play deity often, but when I do, I buy archers.

A worker can be stolen and that's usually quite easy.

Saving to buy a settler seems fine from a numbers point of view until you realize that archer NOW equals many very, very precious turns of barb clearing. Three to eight turns is easily enough to clear a barb camp and possibly to work on a second. Buying a settler could be great but if there is no where to put them (because there are barbs roving everywhere) you're losing its usefulness fast.

"Emergency shrine" only if you plan to benefit from a pantheon and never develop a religion. That basically means Sun God or Goddess of the Hunt.

Other than that, I kind of "feel it out." That means that sometimes I need a library this turn so I can build my national college. Sometimes it means that elusive 5th worker (because everyone else is close to finishing their libraries and it doesn't make sense to switch). Sometimes, if my GPT is high, it's paying off a rival to go bludgeon someone.

I didn't read the whole thread, but instead of "emergency shrine." I think that emergency gold dump to a religious CS is probably better as an emergency, and possibly long-term as well.

If i am playing tradition, I would usually buy units (archers or spears)
As liberty, I usually have enough hammers to build archers. Especially while waiting for collective rule. I would just save up the money for upgrades or spend it on beneficial tile purchases.

I just bought the emergency shrine and got the pantheon, but no religion. :-/

^^Thats not a very good investment especially when youre not using the piety social policy. Piety gives you that extra faith per shrine and temple which increases your chances of getting a religion with church property and tithing in time even in the deity level. If you built it quick with a piety start then you saved yourself building time and got yourself that extra faith per shrine.

IMO archers and if you have an angry neighbor it would be wise to keep a decent amount of GPT for bribing him to war with others, not to mention having 400-600 so you can rush out walls and an archer if he attacks in spite of everything.

Settlers because they cut growth and the new city is very important.
Workers so the improved tiles can begin and you earn money back from luxury selling.
Important luxury/natural wonder or wall off tiles.
Library for NC in your last/ low production city.
I can see an argument for a granary in a great city with wheat deer or bananas but i personally don't do this often.

Top Bottom