The Legendary Immortal Bird of Fire....the Phoenix(A Unit Request)

Nice. That would be a super cool unit.
But... what exactly would it do? I mean, how would it attack, etc. Just out of curiosity. Being a bird and all, I'm wondering how it would be animated.

Please note that Phoenixes are NOT made out of fire. Those are firebirds, a seperate myth from a seperate country. Phoenixes are large birds with brilliant, but non-conflagratory, plumage (after all, it's hard to incinerate oneself when one is already burning).

RedAlert said:
Being a bird and all, I'm wondering how it would be animated.

You're a bird??? :confused:

Zurai: Yes, the Phoenix is not already in flames. It's supposed to be burnt up and then born again from its own ashes...

So basically, it should be an unkillable unit. ;)

Also, of course, it would be genuinely unique, as there was only one phoenix.

As for how it would attack - surely in a fairly standard raptor manner, but that's scary enough when it's so big and brilliant.

Of course, its Fidget animation would consist of its suddenly burning to a crisp and then hatching once more.

Dom Pedro II said:
You're a bird??? :confused:

No, No! I was referring to the phoenix of course :lol:

Which legend states theres only one?

Harry Potter would lead us to believe they not that unique :crazyeye:

I, for one, am also plugging for this unit, since I could use a phoenix (with fire attack) as one of the Summoned Creatures for my FF mod.

Also, as for the uniqueness of the phoenix, it all depends on which legends you look at. In Chinese/Japanese mythology, there were quite a few phoenixes (Houou to use the Japanese word), but once they reached maturity, they usually would ascend to heaven or something like that. One of the ways that the Chinese/Japanese phoenix would attack is by incinerating its enemies with a blinding, burning light (thus what the FF Phoenix summons are partially based on). The Chinese phoenix is also a symbol of immortality, since the birds were supposed to be immortal (another word for phoenix in Japanese is Fushichou which literally translates as "the Immortal bird").

Plotinus said:
I'm sure that the first letter of Clement specifies that there is only one Phoenix. That's how it appeared in western mythology.

No culture really has a monopoly on the Phoenix. It appears everywhere. The phoenix is a very ancient mythological creature in China as well and is commonly known as the "Feng Huang". It has the appearance of a colorful peacock with a very long tail and large prominent wings.

..although at least the Western myth of the phoenix didn't specify that it was a *giant* bird, or even particularly large. If I may -

Saint Clement said:
Let us consider that wonderful sign [of the resurrection] which takes place in Eastern lands, that is, in Arabia and the countries round about. There is a certain bird which is called a phoenix. This is the only one of its kind, and lives five hundred years. And when the time of its dissolution draws near that it must die, it builds itself a nest of frankincense, and myrrh, and other spices, into which, when the time is fulfilled, it enters and dies. But as the flesh decays a certain kind of worm is produced, which, being nourished by the juices of the dead bird, brings forth feathers. Then, when it has acquired strength, it takes up that nest in which are the bones of its parent, and bearing these it passes from the land of Arabia into Egypt, to the city called Heliopolis. And, in open day, flying in the sight of all men, it places them on the altar of the sun, and having done this, hastens back to its former abode. The priests then inspect the registers of the dates, and find that it has returned exactly as the five hundredth year was completed.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
There were giant birds on the planet at one point you know. Currently, the largest flying bird is the Condor, but I'm sure even larger flyers existed at one point. Just my totally unprovable, untestable theory.

But that still doesn't explain the resurrection part.

Dom Pedro II said:
But that still doesn't explain the resurrection part.

You'd have to ask an expert folklorist about that. :) Folklore travels all over the place, thus no place really has the "true" version (thus there's no one "true" Phoenix either). After all, the Cinderella story we all know actually traveled to Europe from China via the Silk Road. :)

Top Bottom