Next patch

A Dimensional Portal terrain feature would be nice, I like that. (The alternative would be a Dimensional Portal unit blocking access to and from Antares - I used this in the Civ2 MOOjr4 scenario -, which could be done for a scenario, but not for a mapscript.) The idea of a Dimensional Portal leading to another one (the 1st in Antaran space, the 2nd in "normal" space) again sounds perfect for a scenario, but could it be done for a mapscript? It would need an Antaran space section to be generated, which sounds complex, perhaps too complex for a mapscript?

Regarding the Elerians:

- artifact homeworld = Palace UU; would require some work, but might be alright (ideally ofcourse certain star systems w/artifacts should give 1 or 2 techs, but this is more or less covered w/spacewrecks in Civ-terms, I think). The problem with it is that it gives a regular science boost, as opposed to 1-2 free techs to start with (for a scenario I could do this without much trouble, for a mapscript it's a bit beyond my abilities)*

- Mind Control of colonies: good thinking (regarding the iRevoltProtection), but cultural conversion isn't what I'm thinking of - rather the 0-x anarchy turns after a colony gets taken. Is there a way to minimize this?

* I see this in connection with the 50% Human science boost and the 5% the Psilons now get; as said, I'd like to exchange those values (plus the 50% Human credit boost against the current Gnolam trade gain); that - in addition to an actual Charisma effect - would equalize the Human/Psilon/Gnolam abilities to their MOO II counterparts.

A Dimensional Portal terrain feature would be nice, I like that. (The alternative would be a Dimensional Portal unit blocking access to and from Antares - I used this in the Civ2 MOOjr4 scenario -, which could be done for a scenario, but not for a mapscript.) The idea of a Dimensional Portal leading to another one (the 1st in Antaran space, the 2nd in "normal" space) again sounds perfect for a scenario, but could it be done for a mapscript? It would need an Antaran space section to be generated, which sounds complex, perhaps too complex for a mapscript?

So, I guess there are three dimensional portal ideas?

1. Features where Antaran barbarian units spawn. Randomly scattered on mapscript.

2. In a scenario, they would be features that act like wormholes. (Scenario only). A Dimensional Portal lets you access Antaran space, and another allowing you to leave.

3. A mapscript that places a blocked off space called Antaran space, with a dimensional portal in it and one outside.

#1 is probably the easiest to do. #2 could also be done reasonably easily. All you would have to do is make a map, place the portals where you wanted them, and then I could write the code to make it work.

#3 would be harder, but still doable, maybe. I think I could make a mapscript place a blocked off region (with only a solar system and a portal inside, surrounded by nebula), but it would be in the "corner" of a map each time. From there it would be easier to randomize it to appear in any corner. From there, you'd have to place a Dimensional Portal on the outside, which is easy.

If you wanted to do option 3, the easiest way to do it would be to use the first type of dimensional portal in a new mapscript (Antares? AntaranSpace? EnclosedSpace? Whatever). When barbarian units aren't spawning in them, you can travel through them.

Ok, I've been thinking about this; if you have the time, could you make that #3 mapscript? The problem - from my viewpoint - would be the Portal feature (I understand how it works, but wouldn't know how to code it). The reason I'm asking is that I think a general mapscript (where the Antarans will feature as their own civ instead of barbs/pirates)* is preferable to a scenario with a fixed map.

*As mentioned earlier, TEH_ALIENZ occupy a slot intended for the Antarans, but currently not implemented.

I'm going to open another topic to discuss the "EnclosedSpace" mapscript, to keep this one for general next patch stuff.

On that subject: in my game at least, I can choose from existing Civilization IV public maps. I may have done this by accident, but if not, you might want to block this in the .ini file so people don't try to start a game with the Archipelago or Continents script- a land script...

- Mind Control of colonies: good thinking (regarding the iRevoltProtection), but cultural conversion isn't what I'm thinking of - rather the 0-x anarchy turns after a colony gets taken. Is there a way to minimize this?

That's a good idea. I actually had been thinking about exactly this, (reducing anarchy time for captured colonies) but for governments. Like how democracy assimilates captured colonists faster and feudal assimilates instantly when captured (although it seems that it was bugged because I haven't seen it happen), it hadn't occurred to me to use it for mind control. So I will look into that.

Also, the Human charisma ability is almost done. I just have to write text for it so it is listed on the display for it's trait, and for when you look at the factors for your foreign relations level with a leader. I've had trouble coming up with a good phrase for it though. The two best I've though of are "You're a pleasant people" and "I like your face", the second being something drunks sometimes say, or a least what people say drunks say. I could always leave it out, like how there are negative relations modifiers if an empire has lost a war to you, there's a difference in rank, or the AI's "warmonger respect" but it doesn't show it in numbers, just the "word". i.e. they'd have a big number for positive relations but still be cautious. This charisma ability also works in the negative so it could make Silicoids repulsive. I don't know them to be powerful enough to warrant a disadvantage, but it's available if they're improved later. Also back on to the Elerians, in MoO2 the telepathy ability also gave a boost to foreign relations due to being able to read minds and say the right thing, so they could be given a smaller charisma bonus of 1 or 2 to reflect that.

Sounds good.;) I hadn't thought of a negative Charisma modifier myself, but that might indeed more or less suit the Silicoid Repulsive as well as the Klackon Xenophobic traits (repulsive being even less charismatic than xenophobic). While the Klackons have a productive advantage, the Silicoids have double production speed of Automated Factory (a.o.) plus Soil Enrichment on the first planet of every colonized system, so a negative charisma modifier shouldn't be that much of a disadvantage to leave it out. (I've tried playing them a couple of times - as well as the Elerians - and they seem OK, though not really an obvious first choice to play.) Giving the Elerians some extra charisma to represent their mind reading ability seems fair as well.:thumbsup:

Sounds good.;) I hadn't thought of a negative Charisma modifier myself, but that might indeed more or less suit the Silicoid Repulsive as well as the Klackon Xenophobic traits (repulsive being even less charismatic than xenophobic)...

That would actually be two different things. A repulsive race is hated by others but they like others just fine, while a Xenophobic race hates others but others like them just fine. In that case Xenophobic would be more something that could be done in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml where personalities are handled.
I had looked into CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml before to see the personalities of the leaders and I saw that everyone's was the same. Mrrshans are as likely to build up their military as Psilons, Darloks are as likely to use spies as Trillarians, and Klackons are as eager to make deals as Gnolams. So I have thought about how to rewrite them to conform to the six personality types from MoO2, as well as the different objectives and possibly things to make them play to their advantages. For instance have Mrrshans be more eager to declare war even without a power advantage because promotions aren't taken into account in the power graph so their +50 attack bonus isn't considered when judging the overall strength of their civilization.

Attached are the files for the new charisma trait. The charisma value for the different races are in CIV4TraitInfos.xml as <iCharisma>. Currently it's set to Humans 7, Silicoids -7, and Elerians 2. It doesn't have any text for when it lists the factors affecting a leaders attitude and it doesn't show the number either so you'll just see the word for you're relations level be higher that you'd think it would be. Seven is enough to go up (or down) one full attitude level. That's probably enough for Humans, the Elerians it's not supposed to be a major factor so two is probably enough. I don't know how the Silicoids play so someone else should look into if -7 is too restrictive for them.

I expect to upload MOO2Civ 4l some time next week (the exact date depends on some tweaking and testing). ;)

Oh, that sounds good. I'll look forward to it.

Also, I'll include the very first official MOO2Civ scenario, entitled "Battle for Antares" (thanks to TC01 for making the Enclosed Space mapscript and the FF Worldbuilder utility). ;)

Right: both the announced scenario and patch 4l will be delayed, I'm afraid, for at least a week. Sorry.:(

Top Bottom