Do you want the next Civ to give a free bonus to the first civ to research a tech?

Free bonus for first to tech

• yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • no

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
What kind of bonus?

If that's the only change: Definitely not. Science is already stupidly strong, that would just be another buff.

If they managed to make science less game-breaking, then I could see that being useful to add more diversity and choices.

Nooo.

Science runaways are already the single biggest problem in the game IMO; giving the runaway even more advantages would make the problem worse.

Now, if there were incentives to some techs, I.E. the non-scientific ones, that could make the game interesting. Say, if the first Civ to research Iron Working got a free Swordsman, that could add variety to the techs off the Education beeline.

Nope, it just makes a civ's tech lead even more insurmountable when they're getting free stuff left and right.

Depends on how they handle the science mechanics in the new sequel. If we just assume "Civ5 mechanics + bonus", then HUGE NO.

I could see getting a bonus to being the first one but offsetting that by making all civs with contact with you now getting a bonus to their research of that technology. Perhaps enhance that bonus if there are open borders, trade routes, etc.

There already are pretty big bonuses: The first one to get numerous techs has a jump on the particular corresponding wonders. The first to navigation has a huge advantage with circumnavigation. The first to archaelogy has the jump on antiquity sites. Etc. Isn't that enough?

Oxford has that free technology. Bringing back the free technology from liberalism or philosophy is what the question was... i don't see why not.

Now, if there were incentives to some techs, I.E. the non-scientific ones, that could make the game interesting. Say, if the first Civ to research Iron Working got a free Swordsman, that could add variety to the techs off the Education beeline.

I was thinking this. The unit could have a 'prototype' promotion :D

What exactly is that bonus in revolutions btw ? If its something like free beakers, that sounds hilarious. Once you get the ball rolling, there is no stopping, u know ...

In civilization 4, liberalism used to bring a free technology and in civilization 2 philosophy used to bring a new technology.

No, the biggest remaining trouble in Civilization is that winning is 90% about being the scientific leader. To equilibrate the sciences with military/social/religious,cultural stuff, the game should do exactly the opposite.

Many technologies were discovered by a single civilization (or a small number of them) and then spread to the other one. Gunpowder was never invented in Europe, dynamite was only invented in Sweden, and so on. Once a tech is discovered for the first time, its cost should progressively decrease for the other civs. -1% per turn would be good I think, meaning that if you are 100 turns behind you get the tech for free. The counterpart would be that the cost of the techs would significantly increase (+50% ?). The consequence would be that beelining would be way more expensive and copying what the others are doing would be far easier. Exactly the same thing than in our world.

What exactly is that bonus in revolutions btw ? If its something like free beakers, that sounds hilarious. Once you get the ball rolling, there is no stopping, u know ...

Depends. Some techs give you a free unit, some give every city extra commerce, culture, hammers, or population, some give a free GP.

It's specifically designed to make snowballing as extreme as possible.

Top Bottom