Patches? We don't need no steenking patches!

Uncle Josef

Chieftain
Unfortunately, everyones favourite uncle does! Ive jut bought Civ3, great game, big improvement on Civ 2 and CTP (Which I actually enjoyed a lot!). Being ganked by the AI, stuck on a continet with three other nations and no iron supply isnt really going to help anyone, is it!!!

Anyway, just wondering, with a fresh install of Civ3 and Conquests, what patches do I need to get? Does the latest Conquests patch include PtW stuff, or do I need to get that as well? I'm confused!!!

Hi, welcome to CFC

Have you checked the lower left corner of the main menu to see which version you have? You need to do this in vanilla Civ3, PTW and C3C separately.

As to parches:
You need to know what version of the game you have (American, European, etc.) as this will affect which patches you download.

For the American/English version the latest patches are:
vanilla Civ3 = patch 1.29f
PTW = patch 1.27f
C3C = patch 1.15

NOTE For C3C, since the final version of the patch is not out yet; I think you need to install all previous patches to 1.15 in sequence to get it to work. (1.11, 1.12, then 1.15)

I would copy my Civilization III folder before I started adding patches. It is a lot easier to rename a folder containing your Civ3 files than to reinstall, if something goes wrong.

Good Luck!

Cheers for the info! I'll get those patched up asap!

I used only the 1.15 patch at civ3.com and it works fine. I don' t believe that you need 1.12 and 1.13 patch.

It used to be (just a short while) that you needed to install 1.12b and 1.13b before installing 1.15b
Now, all you need is 1.15b (and love of course ;) :love: )

Just a quick question, apologise if the answer to this is located elsewhere, but whats the difference between running the civ3, ptw and conquests .exe files?

Uncle Josef:
There is really no difference in running the three exe programs.

Except:
Civ3.exe is more or less the original version of the game.

PTW.exe gives you access to some new features, civilizations, and multiplayer mode.

Conquests.exe gives access to additional new features, new civilizations, and nine special conquest scenarios. It also includes everything from PTW.

All this should be in the manuals you got with the game.

Okay, thanks for the information! Dont really understand why the games set up like that, surely it would be simpler to have each expansion override the base incarnation of Civ 3? Still, its a great game so why am I complaining!

Originally posted by Uncle Josef
Okay, thanks for the information! Dont really understand why the games set up like that, surely it would be simpler to have each expansion override the base incarnation of Civ 3? Still, its a great game so why am I complaining!
There are scenarios for each (vanilla Civ3, PTW, & Conquests) that cannot be played in the others. There is a scenario that I like called Pentagensis in C&C that right now can only be played in PTW.

There are also, changes to the tech tree in Conquests that some people might find annoying. Navigation comes to mind; it comes much later in Conquests. Thus, if you are on on an island; you could be trapped there for many boring turns waiting on ther research. :mad:

There are people who still like and play the older versions of the game. Heck, there are people who still play Civ1 and Civ2. :eek:

Try playing a short game in each one and see which you like best.

I went so far as to play a game in Civ2. I liked it. The animation was not so good. The units did not animate as in Civ3; but it had other features that Civ3 does not. I enjoyed seeing what this earlier incarnation of Civilization had to offer. :goodjob:

Patches? We don't need no steenking patches!
I just wanted to say I really got a kick out of your clever subject line. Of course, everyone (or do they?) realizes that this is a takeoff from the classic "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

No, it wasn't taken from that movie. It was from Wind in the Willows when frog is discussing who he'll invite to his Birthday Party.

"Badgers?! We don't need no stinkin badgers!

Just wanted to set the record strait.

Originally posted by Sparrow3

There are also, changes to the tech tree in Conquests that some people might find annoying. Navigation comes to mind; it comes much later in Conquests. Thus, if you are on on an island; you could be trapped there for many boring turns waiting on ther research. :mad:

Navigation comes in the same place. It's the contact trading that was moved to Navigation. Still, same effect.

Actually its from Blazing Saddles, forgive me if you knew that already but Sarcometer shorted out last night.

Well, the original quote is from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". All the rest stole it from that movie.

I've no doubt that Blazing Saddles inspired you to title the thread that way. . . but it originated from TotSM.

Well you learn something new everyday!

Top Bottom