Active City Defense

Very interesting mod, thank you for your effort!

Just one question before installing:

You said you believe the AI is harder to overrun now, which would be very reasonable.
But I still fear that the AI might be even less of a threat than before.

Also, how do you think it will affect AI vs AI wars? In vanilla, many civs are elimintated quite early, with few superpowers as result. Maybe your mod will improve this, which wouldn't be bad at all. Then again, if no AI would ever conquer much, you would never have a worthy competitor.

What do you think about the AI topic?

Very interesting mod, thank you for your effort!

Just one question before installing:

You said you believe the AI is harder to overrun now, which would be very reasonable.
But I still fear that the AI might be even less of a threat than before.

Also, how do you think it will affect AI vs AI wars? In vanilla, many civs are elimintated quite early, with few superpowers as result. Maybe your mod will improve this, which wouldn't be bad at all. Then again, if no AI would ever conquer much, you would never have a worthy competitor.

What do you think about the AI topic?

It's not going to have any effect on wars at all until the medieval era, so the first few weak civ's are usually dead by then.

As for how it will affect AI v AI wars, I suspect it will make it harder for strong players to kill off weaker players. It may cause the game to have more players than before. ;)

it's good questions on the part of the AI behavior. with the 0 maintenance, are the AIs building more walls now?

i havent played with this on yet, and it has cool changes, i just worry that it puts even more advantage to the player who knows to build these new powerful buldings, while the AI still doesnt build them

it's good questions on the part of the AI behavior. with the 0 maintenance, are the AIs building more walls now?

i havent played with this on yet, and it has cool changes, i just worry that it puts even more advantage to the player who knows to build these new powerful buldings, while the AI still doesnt build them

Honestly, I can't answer AI questions in any detail since I am not privy to Civ5's source code. I suspect that it roughly balances out. Sure, the human has a slight advantage, but then the human is human after all. ;)

Honestly, I can't answer AI questions in any detail since I am not privy to Civ5's source code. I suspect that it roughly balances out. Sure, the human has a slight advantage, but then the human is human after all. ;)

i doubt we'll ever get details on the source code, but I suppose what i meant was on observations when playing. for example, I always notice city states building walls, but the AI usually not.

in any case i'll be trying this out later and I'll just see for myself. hope the AI does build more, more defense is what they need!.. but they should right? cheaper to maintain makes good hammer spending sense to me :goodjob:

i doubt we'll ever get details on the source code, but I suppose what i meant was on observations when playing. for example, I always notice city states building walls, but the AI usually not.

in any case i'll be trying this out later and I'll just see for myself. hope the AI does build more, more defense is what they need!.. but they should right? cheaper to maintain makes good hammer spending sense to me :goodjob:

If you do find any interesting AI behavior, please let me know. I'm very interesting in the final results. ;)

Actually, we get the entire source code within a few months.

I'd love to, but the features modders can add are very limited. :(

Oh, bummer! I had just begun congratulating myself for my creativism :D

Guess I will go back to congratulating you again. Just made a playthrough (till reneassaince), large map, 10 players, 22 civ states, prince. By the time about half the civs had reached this era only one civ had been eliminated together with 2 civ states! This could also be due to Thalassicus' balance mod (starting location importance slightly decreased) which I also just installed or a combination, however. The game is much more enjoyable with the active city defence whether or not it was that mod which did the trick! Cities were underpowered before. Good work!

i don't see where to download the active city defense mod. i looked at the OP and can't find it. am i dense?

please point me to it.

thanks.

Oh, bummer! I had just begun congratulating myself for my creativism :D

Guess I will go back to congratulating you again. Just made a playthrough (till reneassaince), large map, 10 players, 22 civ states, prince. By the time about half the civs had reached this era only one civ had been eliminated together with 2 civ states! This could also be due to Thalassicus' balance mod (starting location importance slightly decreased) which I also just installed or a combination, however. The game is much more enjoyable with the active city defence whether or not it was that mod which did the trick! Cities were underpowered before. Good work!

I have the same combi, Active Defence + the range of Balance mods, which makes it more enjoyable

i don't see where to download the active city defense mod. i looked at the OP and can't find it. am i dense?

please point me to it.

thanks.

Methinks you have to utilize the in-game Mod Browser to download it.

If you do find any interesting AI behavior, please let me know. I'm very interesting in the final results. ;)

played a game, epic speed, with Valkrionn economy mod, and neighbors didn't build walls. otoh my puppet cities (i'm guessing puppets and other AI cities use similar build code stuff) built them pretty quick, although I'm guessing that was because I was playing romans, and capital had a city wall, so they went for the cheap stuff. monument then walls was how i saw them do it.

I really like this mod, Afforess. I'm glad to see you and some others working to improve the new game. I understand why some people are trying to make it more like Civ 4, but I like exploring the possibilities of the new.

Anyone use this mod together with all the "Balanced - Combined" from Thalassicus? Conflicts?

It should only conflict with mods that also use InGame.xml. Specifically Emigration, Tech Diffusion, and Tree Growth.

Where is the file? I can't see it on the OP or in CiV downloads... Where can we download it from? I'm missing something?

It should be in the mod browser. Search for "Afforess" if you are having trouble finding it. ;)

Is there any way to get the ai to start building walls? City states do, and puppets as well but the other cities don't.

What about increasing military unit costs for > less unit spam > smaller army > weaker army >stronger cities.

Gradually increase was my 1st thought, but it is too complicated so a general increase would be better.

Top Bottom