Bazooka loses machine gun range promos?

Jacozilla

Warlord
New to BNW. Only had 1 game so far where I had a Crossbowman earn +1 range promo. As expected, this veteran 3-tile range Crossbowman upgraded into a 2-tile range Gatling gun, which then upgraded to a 2-tile range Machine Gunner.

However, it seems when I upgraded all my Machine Gunners, they all upgraded to 1-tile range Bazookas.

Pretty sure my range promo guy didn't die somewhere but not 100% sure, and lost track of which Bazooka he became since I didn't edit the unit names.

So can anyone confirm for sure that Bazooka's do or don't keep the prior +range promos of upgraded Machine Gunners?

I don't know because i've yet to made a bazooka unit but i'll be paying attention to this thread.

I am pretty sure I have Longbows upgraded to 2 range Bazookas. Probably just a misplaced unit.

Bazookas are really powerful when you get them, especially if opponent is a bit behind you in tech. Both extra range and extra attack would be extremely useful. Guess it depends on how much army you plan to have, i.e. if you're going to have a lot of units it might be better to go for range upgrade so you can actually attack, since end-game battles are often very crowded.

So can anyone confirm for sure that Bazooka's do or don't keep the prior +range promos of upgraded Machine Gunners?

Yes, they do keep their range bonus. 100% sure.

Pretty sure my range promo guy didn't die somewhere but not 100% sure, and lost track of which Bazooka he became since I didn't edit the unit names.

You can still see the range promotion if you mouse over the upgrade icons.

Slightly OT: does anyone find it really annoying that your 3 range crossbow becomes a less useful 2 range gatling gun?

No, since a normal 2 range xbow upgrades into 1 range GGun. The scale of the battles changes through eras for balancing.

It could be interesting if crossbows were range 1, like gatling guns. Then CB spam might be a bit less attractive.

No, since a normal 2 range xbow upgrades into 1 range GGun. The scale of the battles changes through eras for balancing.

I get that, but the whole point of a 3 range unit is that it can attack without coming into range of the enemy and cover your own units over a larger distance as well. I cry a little when that ability is lost.

Given the steep upgrade cost of 220 gold per gatling gun and the fact that the enemy gets increasingly mobile in that era, I don't really understand the balancing decision either.

Besides, since when do arrows have more range than bullets. :)

It's a strange balancing act, though, given that not long after Gatling Guns we get Artillery (native range 3), Battleships (native range 3) and Airplanes? :confused:

I always thought this was a completely annoying game feature, because it effectively renders all my old ranged units useless, but I know there are different opinions on that subject between players.

They are not useless, because they get a decent combat strength.
Essentially they can survive if someone closes the distance.

and the balancing act is that the "sit back and never get hit" role is taken over by Artillery (and Battleships and Airplanes to a limited extent... but battleships are limited to the water.. where there are fast units, and Airplanes take damage when attacking)

I just agonised over that choice or give it two attacks per turn. I figured the ability to move and then fire two tiles was better (I detest the 1 tile range!). I hope it does keep it after upgrading...

I always go for 2 attack promos when I have the option because then you can theoretically get double the XP per turn to go back and get the other promotions you passed up.

I always go for 2 attack promos when I have the option because then you can theoretically get double the XP per turn to go back and get the other promotions you passed up.
Theoretically, yes. However, given that the extra range may allow you to engage in fights that you would otherwise have kept out of, this is not necessarily the case in reality. Not to mention that if you move the unit first, the extra attack promotion may not come into play at all.

Finally did a conquest game where my archers upgraded through the ages to bazooka, keeping their + 1 range promo.

The handful of 2 tile range bazookas was very powerful, especially entrenched inside forts massacring the usual stupid AI mass charge.

Top Bottom