Quick Questions and Answers

Guys , i have this weird feeling when i am hitting the mid game in civ5 , it feels like i want to delete it and start all over ,with a new civ and making decisions for the early game. Dont really understand the mid game, i watched Marbozir alot and even after that i dont really grasp it...
Main Problem is that i dont know where i am heading to, just researching stuff and building buildings...

Is there any good guides that really explain the basics of mid game , and i am not even talking about late game aspect, thats way ahead of me...

I really like this game, but everytime i hit a mid game , its just too confusing... Help me please! )

Guys , i have this weird feeling when i am hitting the mid game in civ5 , it feels like i want to delete it and start all over ,with a new civ and making decisions for the early game. Dont really understand the mid game, i watched Marbozir alot and even after that i dont really grasp it...
Main Problem is that i dont know where i am heading to, just researching stuff and building buildings...

Is there any good guides that really explain the basics of mid game , and i am not even talking about late game aspect, thats way ahead of me...

I really like this game, but everytime i hit a mid game , its just too confusing... Help me please! )
in the mid game u wan't to get public scools up then oxfort in to modern and then hydroplans and factorys about in that order

Thanks thats at least something ) otherwise i was just randomly researching stuff , and building units and stuff like.
And lets be honest if you dont know where are you going , it feels veeeery boring .

Thanks thats at least something ) otherwise i was just randomly researching stuff , and building units and stuff like.
And lets be honest if you dont know where are you going , it feels veeeery boring .

These games are called "4x" for a reason: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate. Most games will follow that sequence fairly well, so your mid game will be the expand/exploit stages. The Civ series offers some variation on the last bit, by offering alternate victory conditions so you don't have to exterminate everyone. But as you said, you're not really to the end game stuff yet, so I'll focus on the middle two.

So for the mid-game, keep your happiness and economy balanced while you build as many cities as you can support and defend. Place your cities as densely as the map allows, unless the site is truly horrible. When you've carved out a solid empire, between 5 and 10 or so cities, depending on your map size, then it is time to improve your lands to exploit their riches. Meet your opponents, exploit them through cunning diplomacy and trade, train up your units with some border skirmishes, etc. Key tech milestones to hit sooner rather than later are the research buildings (universities, public schools) and factories. Frigates and artillery are quite powerful and useful if you're involved in a lot of conflicts. Revealing strategic resources quickly is also a good rule of thumb, to plan your expansion.

Then you can decide which endgame strategy to pursue: global conquest, UN diplomatic domination, cultural "beacon of light", or scientific "to heck with this rock, we're outta here." This is sort of a hodgepodge of ideas, but I hope they are somewhat useful.

clearbeard
Thanks that was helpful. Is there maybe a guide that explains a mid game or something like?

I have an insane amount of faith and Zoroastrianism spread everywhere. I have the religious social policy that gives me the bonuses of the second largest faith. Buddhism is the second largest faith in many of my cities (Zoroastrianism is my faith and the largest religion). Their reformation belief is that they can purchase great people for faith. Why can't I do this?

The reformation that allows purchase of great people only works for their founder, in that case whoever founded Buddhism.

Well, I figured that out. Is that really intentional? Seems pretty ill-designed that some benefits are given and not others.

Well, I figured that out. Is that really intentional? Seems pretty ill-designed that some benefits are given and not others.

It is intentional, so people are actually encouraged to make their religion and fight to hold and spread it, instead of just hogging it from someone else, which would be the cost-effective approach if all beliefs applied to everyone following the religion.

And if you'd actually read the description of the Religious Tolerance, you'd notice that it applies only on pantheon belief.

It is intentional, so people are actually encouraged to make their religion and fight to hold and spread it, instead of just hogging it from someone else, which would be the cost-effective approach if all beliefs applied to everyone following the religion.

My religion is the most powerful religion in the world. By a wide margin. The problem's only that I have a huge faith pool and nothing really relevant to spend it on, expecting to take one of the two reformation beliefs (hiring great people or units) in the end game.

And if you'd actually read the description of the Religious Tolerance, you'd notice that it applies only on pantheon belief.

There's no reason to be snarky... It does, however, answer my question. Fair enough.

My religion is the most powerful religion in the world. By a wide margin. The problem's only that I have a huge faith pool and nothing really relevant to spend it on, expecting to take one of the two reformation beliefs (hiring great people or units) in the end game.

There's no reason to be snarky... It does, however, answer my question. Fair enough.

Many finished social policy trees enable you to purchase some GP with faith from Industrial era onward. There's something to use faith on.

Many finished social policy trees enable you to purchase some GP with faith from Industrial era onward. There's something to use faith on.

Thanks, I eventually found out, but it's nice of you to further explain the game :)

A couple of questions about religion arising from two different current games. They are both at king level.

In one game I have my own religion, but having built the pagodas and mosques that it gives access to in all four of my cities, I have allowed another religion to spread as it gives access to cathedrals and monasteries. All my cities now follow this foreign religion. I feel that once I have built all the religious buildings I want I would like to reestablish my religion (I have tithe).

I have read the (excellent) guide on religion, but wonder if there is any further advice on my particular situation. And one specific point, I cannot build missionarys to help because they will be of the foreign religion, but if a wait for a great prophet he will be of my religion, right?

In a second game I failed to get a religion and two civs in particular are falling over themselves to give me theirs. (One of my cities a little way from my main core seems to change religion every turn, sometime twice, and I worry about the well being of my poor, confused citizens.) I much prefer one to the other, so I have open borders with that civ and not with the other. Does the AI care about this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

A couple of questions about religion arising from two different current games. They are both at king level.

In one game I have my own religion, but having built the pagodas and mosques that it gives access to in all four of my cities, I have allowed another religion to spread as it gives access to cathedrals and monasteries. All my cities now follow this foreign religion. I feel that once I have built all the religious buildings I want I would like to reestablish my religion (I have tithe).

I have read the (excellent) guide on religion, but wonder if there is any further advice on my particular situation. And one specific point, I cannot build missionarys to help because they will be of the foreign religion, but if a wait for a great prophet he will be of my religion, right?

In a second game I failed to get a religion and two civs in particular are falling over themselves to give me theirs. (One of my cities a little way from my main core seems to change religion every turn, sometime twice, and I worry about the well being of my poor, confused citizens.) I much prefer one to the other, so I have open borders with that civ and not with the other. Does the AI care about this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

In first case, you have two possibilities, but you'll be waiting in both cases. First is GP, it should be of your religion. Second...regardless of the number of converts, holy city exerts significant religious pressure. So your holy city should flip back to your religion sooner or later, and you can expand your religion from there.

Second...well, you can do this two ways, peace and war. If you're on really good terms with someone, if you ask them to stop sending missionaries to you they will do so, but your relations will take a hit. War is an obvious solution...

My advice is, unless you want to hog a religion from someone, never give AI open borders. If you need open borders from them, it's better to sacrifice 1 GPT for it, that's the usual price. And if you want to grab another religion in parallel to yours, it's better to do so in controlled manner...grab a missionary or prophet from that religion yourself, either via barbarians if there's opportunity or simply through war, or don't convert a new, small city to your religion but use trade routes from it to grab the religion you want, and expand it from there.

They are both at king level.
The two situations can happened at all difficulty levels. As you increase difficulty levels, you are less likely to found, and much less likely to found early. So getting two faith buildings becomes more rare, since the AIs seem to favor those.
I much prefer one to the other, so I have open borders with that civ and not with the other. Does the AI care about this?
Sounds good, the AI will not take offense to being denied OB or not being able to spread his religion to your cities. But OB (or not) does not really much prevent missionary spam. My recommendation would be to faith purchase an inquistitor of the faith you like, two if you must, and move him between the cities being targeted by the bad religion. If you have three or more spare units (and civilians work for this), you can steer GPr away from your territory. If no OB, blocked missionaries die pretty quick.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I will consider how to apply this info to my current games and take these points into account in my future games.

Top Bottom