CivFanatics -- Hands-On Civ4 Preview

The review is exactly what i need to be reading with just under 2 weeks left. As a self confessed war monger i'm really looking forward to fighting some wars that arn't easy like in civ 3. The unit upgrades are going to be cool to, roll on friday the 28th, only question is who is the best fighting civ? and who can survive!

Wonderkid said:
The review is exactly what i need to be reading with just under 2 weeks left. As a self confessed war monger i'm really looking forward to fighting some wars that arn't easy like in civ 3. The unit upgrades are going to be cool to, roll on friday the 28th, only question is who is the best fighting civ? and who can survive!

Just wait until my preview. Some warmongering fun in there! ;)

Just one more question, is it true that units speak in thier own native language once you select them? It might seem to be a relatively unimportant feature but to me it is a sign of polish and close attention to detail.

It might be a little annoying after a while if they spoke English with caricatured accents.

Lord_all_Mighty said:
Just one more question, is it true that units speak in thier own native language once you select them? It might seem to be a relatively unimportant feature but to me it is a sign of polish and close attention to detail.

That is true. The game I played was with Japan, and when you clicked on a unit or ordered a worker to do something, he responds in that language.

Unlike in some RTS games where the voices keep shouting out very often, that isn't the case in Civ4. ;)

How did they get people that speak dead langauges? Must have been tough.

Sub said:
How did they get people that speak dead langauges? Must have been tough.
No doubt. :D This was actually mentioned by someone at Firaxis or in a preview. It was not easy.

I think it's a very cool and unique feature in Civ4. It made me play all of the Civs so I could hear what each sounded like. :D

Now I know the reason why they didn't put Babylon in the game! They just don't know how its language was pronounced. :D

ainwood said:
See? you two are mean. :p

You would retract this statement (meaning, excluding me) if you actually knew how mean CT is being right now in the chat...

;)

Civrules said:
That is true. The game I played was with Japan, and when you clicked on a unit or ordered a worker to do something, he responds in that language.

Unlike in some RTS games where the voices keep shouting out very often, that isn't the case in Civ4. ;)

Ah, and I could translate for you if you wanted to know what the Japanese were saying. I undertook learning it as a hobby during my childhood years.

It just sounds so amazing that they all speak in their native tongues... mmm... I can't wait to see how far back the Japanese they use is. I wonder if it'll change with each era.

Probably just modern Japanese. We can't know precisely how the ancient Romans spoke, and some civilizations' languages are only poorly spoken today, if at all. (No one knows how ancient Egyptian was actually pronounced, for example.)

Modern versions of ancient tongues are good enough, I think.

Is Universal Sufferage the only civic that allows Gold rusing buildings? Will we be stuck with pop rushing until we research Democracy? And if you have Slaverry and Unversal Sufferage, can you do both?

Projects can't be rushed at all. Wonders can be rushed, but when they can hasn't been specified. Maybe it does involve the civic.

QiZhe said:
Projects can't be rushed at all. Wonders can be rushed, but when they can hasn't been specified. Maybe it does involve the civic.

I though that that was what Great Engineers were for - rushing things.

Yes, but it seems that with Universal Suffrage, you can rush production goals with gold - even Wonders. Projects, however, cannot be rushed in any way.

We don't know if it's possible to population-rush Wonders yet.

That is correct. You can, however, transfer control of a unit to another civilization.

Top Bottom