Official System Requirements

does anyone know if i can run civ 5 on an inspiron 560s with nothing upgraded? if not, would a new video card help?

I meet all the minimum specs EXCEPT the graphics gard (I have a radeon 3100). and i have a laptop, so i can't just upgrade the card. I AM PISSED! but canyourunit.com says i can run N:TW, and i have seen posts on this thread saying the req. specs are very similar. i am taking civ5 off my wishlist until the demo comes out, and not puting it back on until i know i can run it acceptably. i don't have the money for a new computer! what happened to all that hype about "we are making civ5 able to run on anybody's netbook?" FIRAXIS?!?!?!

That's got AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics which scores only 128 on those benchmarks I referred to.

In that case many of us laptop owners can probably stop worrying. That's a recent review, so the functionality and graphics in that pre-release build will probably be on par with what we should expect in the release.

That's hopeful then.

I meet all the minimum specs EXCEPT the graphics gard (I have a radeon 3100). and i have a laptop, so i can't just upgrade the card. I AM PISSED! but canyourunit.com says i can run N:TW, and i have seen posts on this thread saying the req. specs are very similar. i am taking civ5 off my wishlist until the demo comes out, and not puting it back on until i know i can run it acceptably. i don't have the money for a new computer! what happened to all that hype about "we are making civ5 able to run on anybody's netbook?" FIRAXIS?!?!?!

I agree completly. The thing is that (ive heard this, but im not an expert myself) napoleon: total war was more demanding in graphics, and if you can run it Im guessing you can run CiV. It just makes sense to me.

My system:

- AMD dual core at 2.2 Mhz
- Nvidia 7800 GTX
- 4 GB Ram

Will this squeak by or will the video card simply fail ?

Elrikk

That's got AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics which scores only 128 on those benchmarks I referred to.

In that case many of us laptop owners can probably stop worrying. That's a recent review, so the functionality and graphics in that pre-release build will probably be on par with what we should expect in the release.

That's hopeful then.

So that means that their is good hope for me, you, and all the other laptop users out there!? :please:

Put it this way guys, When a consumeable product is manufactured they put on a "Use By" Date, some products can still be used well after thier use by date, their use by date is always conservative, and in some cases very conservative, for example, cheese, technically starts as mould so it can't "go off" it can only become more matured :p.
The reason the date is conservative is because of legal reasons, if someone gets ill and you said the product was still fine to consume for another month your open to law suits, where as if your conservative theirs less chance it will "go off" before the date.
This will be the same for minimum requirements, technically it may run on some lower capacity machines, but if you buy it and it doesn't work you will want your money back, if however you brought it knowning it wouldn't work some shops won't give you the money back, i.e it says minimum of dual core, and you try it on a single core. But thiers still a chance it will work.

My system:

- AMD dual core at 2.2 Mhz
- Nvidia 7800 GTX
- 4 GB Ram

Will this squeak by or will the video card simply fail ?

Elrikk

Looks good to me - not top notch, but comfortably playable :)

Thanks for the insights, guys! I am on the below-min level, so I'll continue reading the thread. Pls, someone let me know when and where the demo appears so I might do the check, thanks in advance!

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Are there any PCI cards I could upgrade to? I would like to get as far away from the minimum as possible. Well, back to playing ROM2 with AND v1.73 Patch E.

My system has PCIe. Not PCI

Whats the chances of my laptop being able to do the business on standard maps?

Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit.

Processor: AMD Turion X2 mobile processor RM-70 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Cache Memory: 1 MB - L2 Cache

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - 512 MB ( Dedicated )
Memory Allocation Technology: HyperMemory up to 2304MB

RAM: 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
Its a 32 bit system so only getting just over 3 gigs of RAM

Cheers.

I'm worried if 3gb ram will be enough for smooth play, what do you think people?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Are there any PCI cards I could upgrade to? I would like to get as far away from the minimum as possible. Well, back to playing ROM2 with AND v1.73 Patch E

If you are stuck with PCI, no way. If it's PCI Express, it depends on what your power-supply (and your budget) can handle ;)

I'm worried if 3gb ram will be enough for smooth play, what do you think people?
As CiV on a 32-bit system won't be able to utilize even 3GB, don't worry unless you prefer ultra-uber large maps.

What are the more important requirements here? I can probably discount the video card, considering you can run it on lower settings.

Whats the chances of my laptop being able to do the business on standard maps?

Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit.

Processor: AMD Turion X2 mobile processor RM-70 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Cache Memory: 1 MB - L2 Cache

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - 512 MB ( Dedicated )
Memory Allocation Technology: HyperMemory up to 2304MB

RAM: 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
Its a 32 bit system so only getting just over 3 gigs of RAM

Cheers.
You should be fine for standard maps.

What are the more important requirements here? I can probably discount the video card, considering you can run it on lower settings.
I wouldn't discount the video card completely - I'm guessing the "Minimum" specs are pretty conservative, but if you're down near that level you're going to be playing with all the graphics options set to low. Beyond that, I'd say the dual-core minimum spec is the most important - and if you're still running an old Pentium D I'd upgrade anyway.

I'm not really too interested in graphics. Not really one of the more important components of a game. Replayability and gameplay are far, far more important to me.

I'm not really too interested in graphics. Not really one of the more important components of a game. Replayability and gameplay are far, far more important to me.

:agree:

Top Bottom