Quick Questions and Answers

I played Civ V for the first time last week (I've had it since it came out but my puter couldn't run it). I played about 300 turns into a Marathon game but then bought Gods and Kings. In the vanilla game, I had an option to garrison a unit in the city. On G&K, that option to garrison isn't coming up. I can only fortify.

Am I doing something wrong or is that option gone in this expansion?
The expansion changed it so that units that are placed into a city automatically garrison. When you move a unit into a city, you should notice the city's defensive value increase. When they leave the city, its value should go back down. It's basically eliminating the "aw crap, I forgot to hit the garrison button!" factor.

Ok, another question.

After dealing a serious blow to Attila's plan to take my capital after he DOWed me, he offered a very generous peace settlement. This settlement included supplying me with 4 horses for 90 turns.

My question is, is it even worth the expense of producting horse-based military units knowing that there will be a significant combat penalty after the deal expires?

Edited for a 2nd question:

If I build horse-based military units, and they suffer the penalty after the deal expires, when I acquire more horses will these units regain their previous strength or do I have to build new units?

Ok, another question.

After dealing a serious blow to Attila's plan to take my capital after he DOWed me, he offered a very generous peace settlement. This settlement included supplying me with 4 horses for 90 turns.

My question is, is it even worth the expense of producting horse-based military units knowing that there will be a significant combat penalty after the deal expires?

Edited for a 2nd question:

If I build horse-based military units, and they suffer the penalty after the deal expires, when I acquire more horses will these units regain their previous strength or do I have to build new units?
If you feel you can put them to good use during the time that you have those horses, absolutely. If you're in the middle of a war with another civ, you can use those mounted units as throw-away troops. Sacrifice them to weaken your opponent then mop up the mess with your more useful ones. You might also want to simply take those horses just to hamper his ability to produce mounted units as well. It's less of an issue since he won't be fighting you for a while, but if he's still fighting someone else, it could hamper his ability to attack or defend quickly.

If you're shot on resources, such as horses, then manage to get your supply back up out of the negative, all of the affected units are brought back up to their full strength. So if you're over 3 horses, your mounted units suffer. Once you bring it back up to 0 or higher, all of your existing mounted units will be back to their original strength; it doesn't just apply to newly-produced units.

Was it always possible to build trading post on jungle without removing the jungle?
I don't remember this being possible in vanilla but it come in handy in my latest G&K game getting that +2 science.
t doesn't mention in Civilopedia about this being possible either. Is it a bug?

Was it always possible to build trading post on jungle without removing the jungle?
I don't remember this being possible in vanilla but it come in handy in my latest G&K game getting that +2 science.
t doesn't mention in Civilopedia about this being possible either. Is it a bug?
Yeah, it's one of those things that they really should have mentioned in the Civilopedia. Trading posts can be built on jungle tiles without removing them. As far as I remember, they're the only improvement that doesn't actually remove the jungle.

quick question. Earth map, Gods and Kings expansion.

I have oil in the Great Lakes, but they are lakes and not open to the ocean. My city (I called it Detroit) cannot build a workboat to work that oil. Am I screwed or is there some way to get that oil?

1.) do all luxury resources provide the same amount of happiness? If not, which is most happy and which is least?

2.) I keep reading about 'tall' and 'wide' empires. My personal preference from previous Civ games was large, sprawling empires as opposed to small, compact ones. Is this still possible in Civ V?

3.) Do duplicate copies of the same resource contribute to happiness, or only the first resource worked?

4.) Finally, do resources need to be connected by a road or should roads be exclusively for connecting cities?

1.) do all luxury resources provide the same amount of happiness? If not, which is most happy and which is least?

2.) I keep reading about 'tall' and 'wide' empires. My personal preference from previous Civ games was large, sprawling empires as opposed to small, compact ones. Is this still possible in Civ V?

3.) Do duplicate copies of the same resource contribute to happiness, or only the first resource worked?

4.) Finally, do resources need to be connected by a road or should roads be exclusively for connecting cities?

1. Yes
2. Not at all recommended.
3. Only the First - sell all your extras
4. No, roads cost maintenance so use them judiciously.

I'm still on my first game (Marathon). I just entered the Renaissance era. I have 8 cities and the rest of the AI on my continent either have 2 or 3 cities. What gives? Why won't the AI build cities?

A city can explan up to a maximum of 3 tiles outside. So that means if I want a connecting border, I should place my cities 6 tiles apart maximum.

Should I want to connect my borders, other than to prevent AI from crossing my land?

IE after setting up my capital, I realised the next-best place for a city if 12 tiles away. Should I just settle in that city and build roads, or should I build a city between my capital and my preferred spot to "connect" the borders?

Will my new Civ be Over/Under Powered?

I’m creating a new Civ with either the French culture UA or the Egyptian wonder building UA. Also I’m going to use the Carolean and Ceilidh Hall as the UU and UB. I want to know before I create this if it is over or under powered? What do you guys think?

Hi. I'm playing CivIV (Warlords; Beyond the Sword, etc.).
Quick question which probably applies to Civ V as well:
what's the deal with the AI?!
If you use a middling setting (Noble, for example) you start out the same; then, a few turns later, even if you play well, the other 'players' soon double, triple, quadruple and quintuple their score!
It appears that even if you play very well, there's just no way to 'win' this game, is there?:folding:

Can you have a traderoute with a foreign city and get some money like you get for connecting your own cities with your capital?
For some stupefyingly idiotic reason Firaxis chose not to have foreign routes, one of the stupidest decisions they made with CiV IMO. So no, unfortunately, no foreign trade routes. There's absolutely no logic behind not having them, but oh well...

Hi. I'm playing CivIV (Warlords; Beyond the Sword, etc.).
Quick question which probably applies to Civ V as well:
what's the deal with the AI?!
If you use a middling setting (Noble, for example) you start out the same; then, a few turns later, even if you play well, the other 'players' soon double, triple, quadruple and quintuple their score!
It appears that even if you play very well, there's just no way to 'win' this game, is there?:folding:

First, welcome to CFC :band::dance::band:!

Second, Civ 4 and 5 are very different games and the same things really do not apply to both. You can find a similar thread as this for CivIV here

Third, it is not that hard to win this game at noble. It is likely everyone will be rapidly increasing their score in the early game, as you are growing rapidly and expanding. Once you play on higher levels you get very used to falling far behind in score early on knowing your human advantages will get you out of the hole in time. If you are struggling, you could try a lower level, but what will probably help you more is reading some introductory war acadamy articles, and possibly posting a thread in the main CivIV forum with your saves at say 50, 100, 200 turns and asking for advice. This is a great game, but it does take some learning.

Top Bottom