Standard Pangaea map, everyone is playing as Venice

I'll have one later today :)

also, pretty sure Acken's Mod would yield similar results in this mad setup (I don't have it installed anyway)

I was only commenting that the AI in Acken's mods is capable of winning with all VCs but dom disabled as opposed to BNW AI.

Anyone try Heathen Conversion?

What about peaceful play until you Oxford Dynamite?

Or is the whole point to try and make a CB/XB rush work?

I would still vote for Pangaea / Fractal / Oval / Ring / Donut (with water inside) instead of an all-land map. Some option for trade before the killing starts, and the option to use the UU. Any of the standard size maps will leave plenty of room for barb spawning.

yeah a donut can work and if it can pack in 12 of them, some may even be in TR range

Anyone try Heathen Conversion?

What about peaceful play until you Oxford Dynamite?

Or is the whole point to try and make a CB/XB rush work?

I would still vote for Pangaea / Fractal / Oval / Ring / Donut (with water inside) instead of an all-land map. Some option for trade before the killing starts, and the option to use the UU. Any of the standard size maps will leave plenty of room for barb spawning.

Max out the number of city states and Venices. You'll get a nice crowded world that is great for not having to march 1000 miles to conquor somebody in.

Donut must be in the Explorers’ Pack.

I tried standard ring with 12 venices (for 100 turns), but they were still too spread out for TR. I will try again with 12 on small. Everyone gets the same Dominant Terrain. Should that be grassland, plains, forest, or jungle?

EDIT: I tried small ring with 12 venires -- met two by T10 -- so that is too crowded, not enough room for barbs. I am trying again with 9 venires on small ring.

Also, what is the pro/con of disabling CV? Seems like there might not be the usual competition for early wonders if I disable that. I guess Venice could win by CV about as often as they win by SV...

Max out the number of city states and Venices. You'll get a nice crowded world that is great for not having to march 1000 miles to conquor somebody in.

The whole point is that the barbs control most of the map since nobody can expand

Ouch. I tried rolling a standard map with 14 Venices and the game crashed. I suppose that's a no then :/

I am not liking my starts so far. I think you have to wander around until you find the closest NW. So it comes down to luck if you take off from T0 in the right direction. I have not tried more than 12 Venices.

This one is not too bad. Maybe not quite enough room for barbs. I am going way too slow, as usual. Leaving in CV as an option definitely makes things potentially more complicated for the player, so I think that is good...

9 Venices, 0 CS (6 civs and 12 CS was default, I think)
Ring / Small / Deity / Ancient Era
Dominant terrain: Grasslands (other choices are Plains, Forest, Jungle, or Random — but random still means everyone gets the same)
Land Shape: Natural
Isthmus Width: Random
Resources: Balanced (only option)
Diplo VC disabled. Raging Barbarians. Random Personalities.

I tried the original map posted by stormtrooper412, and it's pretty ruff. I played until T160 I think, was way behind in science compared to other games, but the AIs were behind too so not such a big deal. I did open honor to help with barbs, but then continued with piety for Heathen Conversion, and after that tried to finish honor, but never got to it. Heathen Conversion is pretty cool because you get a decent army at first, I only built 3 archers, the rest of the army was composed of converted barbs. You can use the massive amount of units you have as sacrifice units while you target cities, but in the end I was attacking 40strenght cities and my XBs were very very behind, like 15 turns of travel time, so I stopped, since the game wasn't really fun.

The problem was that I had a massive amount of units, well above the cap, so I had a 70% production penalty most of the game. No time to build happiness buildings, so I hit unhappiness issues soon. The closest 3 AIs were conquered without any problems, but then with 7 unhappiness the combat penalty was too much, as I was using severely obsolete units (I had deleted most of the useless units, but I stiil had swordsmen and composite bowmen who were too far away to upgrade, not that I had the money). I had no money the entire game, I was barely keeping my treasury up, mostly because of Mausoleum of Halicarnassos (settled all the great generals since they were too far away), and clearing barb camps with missionaries, and selling most of the units.

I have started experimenting with this more. I think the ideal setup is a Small Ring Map with 11 players (10 could leave you without two trade routes). I will post one once I play with it more. Zero CS, Diplomatic Victory Type disabled, Raging Barbs, Random Personalities.

Top Bottom