Favorite Civ with optimal conditions

SoonerJBD

Warlord
What is you favorite Civ to play if the map and start are just right? So, think Morocco with great desert or England with great coastal spots.

I think the most fun I've had is playing Spain when I have access to several Natural Wonders, particularly Lake Victoria.

I've recently found the beauty of Spain on Terra Maps. Rush Astronomy! Then send 4 horse type units, a couple of archer units (some can be Horse Archers!), a couple of Missionaries and a Settler to the new world. Find ALL the Ruins. Find ALL the CSs first. Find ALL the NWs first. Settle a coastal town with easy access to a couple of CS. Do a bunch of CS Quests. Upgrade all of your horse units to Conquistadors and use them to settle EVERY Natural Wonder in the New World.

By the time the other nations get to the New World your religion will be putting so much pressure from all the CS and your 4-6 cities (More if larger map) every new city will flip within a few turns. Nobody gets any good spots because you've gobbled them all up. New World has unique Luxes that the old world doesn't? You settle all of them so the AI has to pay you for them. AI gets Tundra/Jungle/Marsh/Desert while you get Riverside Grasslands, Hills with Sheep, Plains with Cattle and tons of forests to chop.

My favorite civ period is the Aztecs. The Aztecs by a big lake are far past my favorite civ.

Definitely Spain. One of my greatest joys in Civ is getting high tile yields for my cities, and Spain can get the ultimate in yields with most of the natural wonders. Lake Victoria, Solomon's Mines, Uluru, etc. topped off with the faith from natural wonders pantheon belief is just so satisfying.

Plus the 500 gold from being first to discover a natural wonder lets you insta-buy a settler, which bypasses some of the slog that is settler building early game.

The gold bonus for wonders from Spain is fantastic. Assuming you have one relatively close natural wonder you can settle and at least one other you can discover first, you can buy an early settler and workers early in both your first two cities. If you can settle three wonders, one of which provides faith, and get the pantheon bonus for natural wonders, you can put out enough faith to buy the best army in the game super early and then use reformation on Jesuit education and buy all your science buildings after libraries purely through faith.

Any civ with the good old salt+wheat start. :)

Holland in desert with flood plains!
England with 6+ iron
Denmark with 6+ iron
Sweden with two+ nearby cultural city states
Mongols with 12+horses

England on a great coast/big island and at least 6 irons.
If you can manage some how to adopt autocracy and/or build Brandenburg gate and build/buy most of your ship of the line in your heroic epic city, its just overkill.
There is almost no solution to a 6+ SoL fleet.... especialy once you make it to double attack so you can move after attacks. It just make no sens.

Aztek and Mongols in the right conditions are cool to play too.

I would guess Netherland can be very ovekill on the right map too, but for any reason, probably lack of rerolls with them, I never rolled the overkill type of map with them. Only finnished one game as Wiiliam I think... on emperor. (only level I played with all civs, but I actualy dont remember.)

Spain when you're actually near to NWs. Especially if you spawn right beside Lake Victoria or Fuji or something.

England, Polynesia, Venice on a water map.

Any race that's otherwise kind of meh but is good when they get a leg up. Like Byzantines spawning beside Uluru or something and getting triple religious buildings and sacred sites for the great victory.

True... forgot about spain...
Got a Lake victoria + fontain of youth bot less than 7-8 tiles from my capital once.... it was just ridculous.

Or Spain right beside King Solomon's Mines. +12 hammers in the ancient age is one or more of the following, on top of the 500 gold you get that turns into a free settler:

- Monster size army
- Buy a bunch of CS
- Gobble up every wonder for the first half of the game even on a high difficulty

Or Spain right beside King Solomon's Mines. +12 hammers in the ancient age is one or more of the following, on top of the 500 gold you get that turns into a free settler:

- Monster size army
- Buy a bunch of CS
- Gobble up every wonder for the first half of the game even on a high difficulty

My favorite was the time I played Spain and my starting warrior moved two spaces onto a hill and sighted Mount Sinai. Obviously I founded first religion and went the Natural Wonder +4 faith and faith buy troops options. Plus 20 faith per turn from a single tile...

Then it was just a matter of finding enough horses.

Seriously though...thats the only time I ever started a civ game and declared "I win" on turn 1 and been correct.

Always been a sucker for the Inca. Getting a 5-7 food hill is just amazing with the terrace farm..I've raged so many times from stupid sheep on what could be an amazing farm tile.

That and hill movement is just so awesome for offense and defense.

I love playing as The Celts on an Arboreal map - you can get an outrageous amount of faith and get your pick of pantheons. Quite fun to play

The gold bonus for wonders from Spain is fantastic. Assuming you have one relatively close natural wonder you can settle and at least one other you can discover first.

No assumptions needed. Roll Spain on Terra and you'll discover and settle at least half the NWs on the map if you beeline Astronomy. Only exception is if Polynesia is in our game.

The best start ever would be:

Spain + 15 natural wonders within the starting three hexes, plus all of the AIs have a three tile tundra island start

Top Bottom