Deity challenge in the Amazon (long game)

clinton

Warlord
This is a Deity game with the "Amazon Plus" map, standard size. There are five civs (less than the usual eight), yourself the Celts, and you'll be up against the following:

- Brazil
- Dutch
- Aztecs
- Iroquois

All of which have advantages in this predominately Jungle map.

There are no city states and no ruins.

Barbarians are raging, and particularly considering the expanse of this map, there will be no shortage of them. However, the Celts UU is particularly useful for farming faith from Barbarians, so you should get a jump start on religion.

Also there are no victory conditions enabled, the only victory I'm accepting is annihilation of all opposing civs.

Staying alive at least in the early game is relatively easy, there's plenty of room on the map and jungle separates you from your opponents preventing them from rushing. It works both ways though.

I do have the dominant religion though, and managed to get Sacred Path early for the +1 culture for Jungle hexes (Celts get 1 Faith per turn just for settling next to a forest, so be sure to do so and you'll easily get the first Pantheon). I've gone Honor->Piety, I think Honor is a must with all the Barbs, but if you didn't want to focus on religion perhaps there's alternatives for a second choice.

I'm stuck on 5 cities (compared to well over a dozen for my opponents) at around turn 250. Maybe others will do better than me. I suspect the aim of the game here is hold steady until the end of the tech tree, at which point tech evens up and it might be worth then trying to expand. People might have different approaches though.

I intentionally picked these settings in an attempt to make it a game that lasts well into the modern era, though I'd be very interested if anyone finishes early.

UPDATE: This is a lot more difficult than I thought. Once you get attacked by a technologically advanced civ you're in serious trouble. I was gone by about turn 280. I'd be interested if anyone can even stay alive well into the modern age in this game.

Attachments

• Boudicca_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    460.2 KB · Views: 50
I didn't expect this to be so challenging. The game is practically unplayable, not so much because of barbarians but because of chronic shortage of production, food and strategic resources. Luxuries are few and far between. There are no natural features that can help you define your borders so you're left open to attack on all sides, and attack will definitively come sooner or later.
I managed to hold on until turn ~250 before being dow'ed by madman Monty and backstabber Hiawatha.

Spoiler :
I'm now pretty sure it's impossible to survive in that starting location, in the heart of the jungle. So I reloaded from turn 0, selected my initial settler, and started walking. 26 turns later we arrived (barely) to the mountains in the south-west corner of the map. Here there were no jungles, just bare hills and mountains. Hiawatha didn't like me forward settling him so relations were very tense over the next 50 turns until I finally managed to get a deceleration of friendship from him.
I went full tradition and built HG, Petra and Oracle, all before finishing NC on turn ~160. My capital has 15 or 16 desert hills so my production is through the roof. I'm ignoring science and instead reaping the benefits of reduced tech cost and caravan leeching. I was forced to invest heavily in infrastructure and growth since I only have 2 luxuries (1 gold and 2 pearls) and there's isn't much food around.
AIs are not doing that great - first one to enter Renaissance was Monty on turn 155.
My plan is to keep surviving and holding my fingers crossed for uranium, oil, and aluminum.
I won't go on the offensive before atomic era.

yep with no luxes, no strategic resources, and crazy monty wanting sacrificial lambs, not even playable... need some city states at least.

I didn't expect this to be so challenging. The game is practically unplayable, not so much because of barbarians but because of chronic shortage of production, food and strategic resources. Luxuries are few and far between. There are no natural features that can help you define your borders so you're left open to attack on all sides, and attack will definitively come sooner or later.
I managed to hold on until turn ~250 before being dow'ed by madman Monty and backstabber Hiawatha.

I had the exact same end. Monty was easy enough to hold off (although he did make a mess of the improvements around my capital). I got Hiawatha to declare on Monty but then he went for peace. I then got a defensive pact with Hiawatha (I couldn't ask for DoW with Monty because it was within 10 turns). That didn't require him to declare on Monty, and despite the defensive pact he declared on me. Fighting on two fronts quickly led to the loss of my capital and another city, and I threw it away then.

I was trying to make a game that was difficult to win, but not difficult to survive. I've only got it half right. I think I'm going to try a Boreal map, with more civs and a corner start. I'll post it when I've got a good one.

I captured all 4 capitals before realizing dom victory was disabled! What a kick in the balls that was. :lol:

Spoiler :

Top Bottom