I want civplayer League back.

lol, there has been more activity lately. DJMax has been doing a lot to get new players in the euro time zones. Just hang out in our chat, when people see other people their, it creates a snowball effect. Unfortunately it does take a lot more players to get the critical mass required for competitive games, BNW seems to be helping...and I hope it continues, but to be frank, the poor quality of the Civ5 MP code has done it's best to try and kill competitive MP on the league over the past 3 years. It will take effort from everyone to reverse this trend.

CS

I miss competitive games
I miss my old league friends
I miss no random games
I want to fight for the first place

Give me my league back !
http://www.civplayers.com/

I hear you, buddy. Good times. Best for me was Civ 3, when I was just learning MP and there was an established, thriving community. I hope I see a time like that again, and that I have a little free time to enjoy it! Remember CCC's? :cool:

Its really sad that seemingly now facebook generation took over in civ.

Everyone wants just play civ5 animal farm instead of civ5 kickass mode.

Its just sad - just like facebook kids miss sports and nature the new civ5 kids miss great thrill, teamwork and fun.
Truly I dont see ANY reason why some1 d prefer some 10 hours FFA, reapeating same time same over and over to 3-3 teamers f.e..

But on other hand civ5 just misses the thrill, civ3 future and civ4 ren gave no matter how u play it.
Creative was lost, now its just optimising.

I hear you, buddy. Good times. Best for me was Civ 3, when I was just learning MP and there was an established, thriving community. I hope I see a time like that again, and that I have a little free time to enjoy it! Remember CCC's? :cool:

Ya I'd love to see that return, but I doubt we will see that until Civ6 at least. Until then I just have to try and maintain what we have in Civ5 BNW.

CS

probably never going to happen without a mod that lets you play a turn-based game in maybe 4 hours or less

playing civ 5 with simultaneous turns is the opposite of a competitive league

probably never going to happen without a mod that lets you play a turn-based game in maybe 4 hours or less

playing civ 5 with simultaneous turns is the opposite of a competitive league

lol, you have obviously never played league games, as every game in played in our 10 year history, since Civ3 PTW came out has been simu turns. It is the only way to play civ games in the space most people have in an average evening.

In fact even going back before the current league to the Civleague/Gameleague days of Civ2 MGE, were played with simu turns.

CS

lol, you have obviously never played league games, as every game in played in our 10 year history, since Civ3 PTW came out has been simu turns. It is the only way to play civ games in the space most people have in an average evening.

In fact even going back before the current league to the Civleague/Gameleague days of Civ2 MGE, were played with simu turns.

CS

that's your problem

civ 5 isn't civ 4

civ 4 worked with simultaneous turns
civ 5 doesn't

that's why the league will be a joke in this POS game

that's your problem

civ 5 isn't civ 4

civ 5 doesn't

that's why the league will be a joke in this POS game

You can argue for or against the merits of simu vs sequential turns. But the fact is people do not have 8 hours to play random internet games on any given night or weekend. This is not "my problem" it is a fact of human nature that dictates this.

You might be able to get a group of friends or dedicated players to agree to a prearranged long seq turn game, but that will never happen with random lobby games.

Someone from NQ can comment as well, but I doubt many of their FFA games are played seq turns either, it turns a 4 hour game into a 10+ hour game. Even the new hybrid turns can double the length of a game.

CS

you're missing my point

nobody is taking civ 5 seriously with simul turns
nobody is taking civ 5 seriously with sequential + ultra long games

how can you ever have a league in this kind of setup?

civ 4 worked because it was designed semi-competently
civ 5 won't work without heavy modding that lets you play it reasonably quickly

you can't pretend that the same settings which worked in civ 4 will apply to 5 because they share absolutely nothing beyond the name

you're missing my point

how can you ever have a league in this kind of setup?

civ 4 worked because it was designed semi-competently
civ 5 won't work without heavy modding that lets you play it reasonably quickly

you can't pretend that the same settings which worked in civ 4 will apply to 5 because they share absolutely nothing beyond the name

Because you didn't make this point in the first place, your post was vague. If you are saying Civ5 is not as good a MP game as Civ4, then fine. I'd say we really don't know that since Civ5 never got a fair shake because of it's extremely poor MP code.

And yes I'd agree that we need to mod Civ5 to make it better for MP, but we also did that for Civ4. The base Civ5 game is definitely not balanced for competitive MP, but we do the best we can to chose settings that make it as fair as possible, since we have not been given modding ability in Civ5.

But my general point still stands, there is no way in ANY civ game to play random online MP games without using simu turns, and adjusting the game settings for the best game experience, in the average time span most players have.

CS

for civ 5 and even civ 4, a proper turn-based mode would be faster than simultaneous though

most of the timer in teamgames is spent running down the clock

the problem is the devs made it sequential by player instead of sequential by team

Biz you are just wrong in so many ways and I ll be a ncie guy and explain detailed:

turn timer:
I and other GOOD player will kind of allways NEED the full turn timer, optimising/microing a big empire just needs time, moving 20+ Units just needs time, moving 6+ workers just needs time.
So its not like GOOD player run the clock down for no reason ..
MAYBE the turn timer is too long for bad players who dont expand/build units/workers/ and micro - thats definatly not a desgin but bad player problem.
So with several GOOD players in a game, turn based d just multiplay the current run timer by number of players in game

A team turn based mode would be nice to have and kind of work but still double game times.

you're missing my point

obviously thats your personal opinion, but I doubt u know how x mp players feel.
Even sp is kind of competetive, as you willl see if u open strat/GOTM/HOF Forum in here.
Now its obvious that mp is more competetive as sp.
So you are just wrong again.

civ 5 doesn't

stating something without any fact as discussion starter?
Actually the 2 games arent that much different.

Honestly, if u dont like civ5, or dont like civ5 mp or dont like civ5 competetive mp - just go to another thread ...

I think there is a crying thread in general forum

I played thousands of competitive TG in 4. civ 5 will never succeed without massive changes

There are reasons why almost no civ 4 players moved over to 5
if you don't understand those reasons, you will never make civ 5 successful

the game is terribad for competitive players. fix it or watch it die

I like (some version of) civ 5's gameplay design and would like to play it seriously, but that's never going to happen in its current form and with a bunch of people defending its implementation instead of petitioning to fix it

I played thousands of competitive TG in 4. civ 5 will never succeed without massive changes

There are reasons why almost no civ 4 players moved over to 5
if you don't understand those reasons, you will never make civ 5 successful

the game is terribad for competitive players. fix it or watch it die

I like (some version of) civ 5's gameplay design and would like to play it seriously, but that's never going to happen in its current form and with a bunch of people defending its implementation instead of petitioning to fix it

You make it sound like we have any ability to fix MP. We are just fans like you and have little influence on the developers :-/ Would Civ5's game mechanics need changes for competitive MP....sure in some cases. But it's a moot point when the basic MP code is not even upto par. That is what is killing MP now, not the game mechanics.

CS

I like how tommynt spends half his time complaining about people crying about things and the other half crying about things he doesn't like.

Moderator Action: This is trolling. Please do not personal about other posters, stick to the topic of the thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You can argue for or against the merits of simu vs sequential turns. But the fact is people do not have 8 hours to play random internet games on any given night or weekend. This is not "my problem" it is a fact of human nature that dictates this.

You might be able to get a group of friends or dedicated players to agree to a prearranged long seq turn game, but that will never happen with random lobby games.

Someone from NQ can comment as well, but I doubt many of their FFA games are played seq turns either, it turns a 4 hour game into a 10+ hour game. Even the new hybrid turns can double the length of a game.

CS

CS has it right here. We tried hybrid for first few days it was out. There is no way to finish a game in less than 8 hours with competent players who use war to slow down their opponents. Imo Simultaneous turns is the only reasonable way to play a game of civ expecting players to stick around for the whole game.

I like how tommynt spends half his time complaining about people crying about things and the other half crying about things he doesn't like.

Moderator Action: This is trolling. Please do not personal about other posters, stick to the topic of the thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Once a troll always a troll. Some ppl just can't help it:(

Moderator Action: I'd include the same statement as the mod tag in the quote, but apparently that wasn't a clear enough warning.

Don't attack other posters!

Top Bottom