Team Building

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
I have become aware that most of this team is not agreeing with me a quite a few strategic points. So I’ve decide to download a free corporate team building exercise to help get us back on the proper track.

NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST: WHO SHOULD SURVIVE?

Azeletrof has just been nuked! 1889, admiral-bell, azzaman333, Ball Lightning, Bartholomaï, BCLG100, Bede, Black_Hole, CivGeneral, classical_hero, cody_the_genius, croxis, deshelbr, Donovan Zoi, dutchfire, dzn, Emp.Napoleon, Emp. Killyouall, gandhi rules, gbno1fan, Ginger_Ale, ice2k4, Karhu, Karl, ownsend, Kuningas, lost_civantares, Memphus, Methos, moonshine_MS, MrC, Nobody, Oldbus, Oni of Chaos, Pajka, RegentMan, rhino78, robboo, Robi D, Spoony, Sweetacshon, Swissempire, Theoden, Vind2, ybbor and zyxy have managed to make it to a bunker located beneath the palace.

If all of you stay, you will not last until next turn, however, you all realise that if 40 of you leave soon 5 can carry on and exact revenge.

In your bunker, you have the following facilities:
  • sewage system
  • water
  • seeds
  • some clothes
  • a few books
  • some medical facilities but no operating material
  • a greenhouse

In your group of 45, each of you have a chance to speak. You must present your case. Explain why you think you should live. Argue for your life unless you really want to sacrifice for others. Listen to others arguments as well.

Each person in the group of 45 will play one of the following roles. (please state what role you are playing when your post).
  1. scientist
  2. priest
  3. married couple who are hippies and drug addicts
  4. a single pregnant woman with a 5 year old girl
  5. an army officer who has mental instability of some sort but is useful nonetheless
  6. an elderly woman
  7. a disabled person
  8. lawyer
  9. dole bludger (a person who exploits the unemployment system)
  10. doctor
  11. the president
  12. foreign minister
  13. domestic minister
  14. UN representative
  15. small puppy
  16. reality show star
  17. journalist
  18. Richard Simons
  19. middle manager
  20. lion tamer
  21. mountain climber
  22. famous hockey player
  23. Guinness world record holder
  24. brewer
  25. circus acrobat
  26. the cast of River Dance

Allow each person to post
Decide whether some will leave and the others stay
Decide who will leave and who will stay
When that is complete, you are to answer the following question in your journal (you must provide your own journal).

Spoiler what have we learned? :

Explain why you feel the choice was made. What influenced your decision? Did anyone emerge as a leader? Why? How did this influence the choices?

I'm the scientist. I think that we will need a scientist to develop instruments to rebuild our beautiful city better than it was and to preserve the knowledge we've accumulated through centuries. Without me, everything our scientists have worked on for ages will be lost.

I'll be the doctor and manipulate the drug addicted hippies into doing my bidding. Don't nobody mess with me!

OK, I think everyone has had a chance to comment so lets start winding the discussion down and I’ll go back to the web site and check our results against the experts.

Well I am conflicted....hence my long time in replying.

scientist because I can grow food for you bunch OR the hippie drug addicts because they KNOW how to grow "stuff" in a greenhouse settings.

professionally I am a scientist so thats not a leap, but for me to pass as a hippie thats a drug addict is a huge leap.

Food is the key to making it through this. The doctor..well you would look like a steak in a white coat once the hippies get hungry. The scientist to work on research and technology...again a steak carrying a pocket protector. Now as for the forty that leave...well they should be used as food or as compost. IF you are going to survive some sacrifices must be made. So who wants dark meat or light meat. well done or medium rare. BC has been drinking enough alcohol that he is quite marinated. Oh and we should kill the politicians and burn them to keep us warm..its probably their fault we got in this mess to begin with.

:)

And with that I head to bed after being awake for 26 hours..i know i will proabably regret this post in the morning.

Well the shelter has enough food for 5 people so no need to resort to cannibalism...unless you want to. It sounds like you might already have some recopies in mind.

bwhahhhaaaa....nah....no recipes. Only if the crops fail. :)

If BCLG drinks enough, he might start acting like a lion :p

Ok, bad news, this exercise was for Christian youth groups to help teens resist peer pressure. It’s basically just s trick question to help them recognize how moral issues can get overlooked in group decisions.

Basically we just judged the people in the bunker according to the most superficial characteristics: their job, their exploitability or their nutritious value. If everybody here did just their job that would make us a machine not a team. An effective team should draw on all the various strengths of its members, but that would take another 28 pages so I just found another exercise.

I’ll post the scenario latter, for now just climb aboard the small airplane that has come to take you away from the bunker, the pilot assures you that the storm will not be a problem.

dang it...all my internet searches for recipes are now useless.

...But the storm is a problem and the plane crashes. It goes down in the forested hills SE of Azeletrof (mountain lion infested for azzaman). The pilot was killed but the rest of you are uninjured. It is mid January and daily temperature is -25 C, -40 C at night (roughly -10/-40 F). There is snow on the ground; the area is wooded and criss-crossed by several frozen creeks. The copper mine is still as busy as ever, but you estimate that it is nearly 20 miles (32 km) away. You are all dress in normal indoor clothing, but do manage to salvage the following items:
  • a ball of steel wool
  • a small ax
  • a loaded .45-caliber (11mm) pistol
  • a can of Crisco shortening
  • newspapers (one for each person)
  • cigarette lighter (without fluid)
  • extra shirt and pants for each person
  • 20x20 ft. (6x6 m) piece of heavy-duty canvass
  • a plastic aeronautical map of the area
  • one quart (or one litter) of 100-proof whiskey
  • a compass
  • family sized chocolate bars (one for each person)
List the 12 items in order of importance for your survival.

Map comes first.

Compass comes first, you can walk 20 miles in a day but without the compass you wont have any idea which way to go :)

1. extra shirt and pants for each person
  2. newspapers (one for each person)
  3. 20x20 ft. (6x6 m) piece of heavy-duty canvass
  4. cigarette lighter (without fluid)
  5. a small ax
  6. a ball of steel wool
  7. family sized chocolate bars (one for each person)
  8. a can of Crisco shortening
  9. a loaded .45-caliber (11mm) pistol
  10. a plastic aeronautical map of the area
  11. a compass
  12. one quart (or one litter) of 100-proof whiskey

First off....in a survival situation is weather. Its cold so you need warmth. In those temps you wont last the night if you do not have enough clothes and a shelter.

So extra clothes are first, The newspaper is next because you can crumple it and stuff your clothes for more insulation. The canvas for a make shift night time shelter. The lighter, ax and steel wool can be used to make a fire which will further warm you.

Next is food...chocholate and crisco will provide you with energy for the walk. In addition the crisco can be smeared on your nose and ears for added frost bite protection.

Third is walking to your recuse( which is not a good choice since you are more visible with the plane...BUT if we must walk). teh gun is better of attracting attention if you see someone or here someone far off. Its also going to be more use while walking since you are more likely to run into a lion the more ground you cover. The map and compass will help you walk out.

Finally the alcohol. IF you drink it, you will die. It actually causes you to lose body heat. Therefore it should be used as an antesiptic for any wounds encountered during the travels.( maybe help light the fire but 50% alcohol in low temps doesnt give off much fumes so it may not light)

In addition, you can take a wad of canvas, and some crisco and make a torch which will help you move your fire from camp site to campsite. Walking 20 miles is easy in normal territory but the weather will make that a 2 or 3 day hike.

I am also just tempted to take the gun shoot the rest of you so I can have your chocolate and extra clothes but the point of this is team building not team killing. Oh and dont forget if I do that I could use those recipes that I looked up. :mischief: Tough choice....:crazyeye:

Top Bottom