Funny Screenshots: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, another one who doesn't see they're screens from different games...

Please, everyone, could you stop quoting pictures??

^Now that's someone who has mood swings. :p

You changed religons on her so now she's pissed at you.

Not to mention that they're two different games.

(Look at the leaderboard.) :deal:

EDIT: Whoops, mystyfly beat me to the punch.

Here's some funny pics I dug up in my screenshots folder (see attachments)

1) By far the largest town I've ever seen (its actually a town I built, not a city I settled)

2) Portugal was always the odd one out

3) Nobody really wanted that marshland, so they decided to split it :D.

Attachments

• another clip of the supertown!.JPG
    another clip of the supertown!.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 1,907
  • portugal is the odd one out.JPG
    portugal is the odd one out.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,787
  • cultural corner.JPG
    cultural corner.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,713
1. Military Beavers!!!
2. This one is sad. Their kids died:(
3. Even sadder. He's a widower now.:( (He still founded a perfectly healthy/normal city all alone:eek:)

Attachments

• Military Beavers (2).JPG
    Military Beavers (2).JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,652
  • Dead Kids.JPG
    Dead Kids.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Dead Kids and Wife.JPG
    Dead Kids and Wife.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,662
How big is it?

I don't get it.

:confused:

1) The town was a lot larger than any town I've seen, could have easily been mistaken for an actual city

2) His boat is facing the other way

3) I have never really seen 4 borders come to a singe corner, marshland is just the beginning of the river

I know their not the funniest pictures in the world, but I thought they were at least chuckle worthy :).

1) The town was a lot larger than any town I've seen, could have easily been mistaken for an actual city

2) His boat is facing the other way

3) I have never really seen 4 borders come to a singe corner, marshland is just the beginning of the river

I know their not the funniest pictures in the world, but I thought they were at least chuckle worthy :).

1 was nice, 2 got a bit of time to understand and 3 wasn't really that funny, but please, keep 'em coming! ;)

In real life, Stalin acually hated religion even Orthodox Christianity in his dominion which you know already what his dominion is.

No I think it was because St. Peter was the apostle who actively spread Christianity after it was founded. So its kinda ironic he popped up in the city in which Christianity was founded. If I'm wrong Christians, please correct me :D.

That was the first pic. And he popped up in Berlin, when Christianity was founded in Hamburg.

Stalin was a seminarian who rebelled and joined the Communists, and he brought back the Orthodox Church during the war when Russia wasn't motivated to win the war by communist ideology and collective farming.

So perhaps it's only 1942 all over again.

Re: The First Caption "How coincidental"

Coincidence can be defined as being an occurrence of events that have no obvious connection but Christianity's founding and the appearance of St. Peter, a Christian proselytizer, don't seem coincidental, even without Civ IV's ability to bind events together by having one event's occurence increase the chances of the second. I might've used a slightly humorous "Perfect timing!" to note the near simultaneous appearance of Christianity and a principal missionary of it. Although, one might argue that his use of the "How coincidental" was an ironic comment meaning it wasn't coincidental. And to further confuse the issue, "coincidental" is often used or misused (if you like) as a synonym for "ironic" nowadays.

Re: The second caption "How Ironic"

I can see the irony of Stalin, known for his hostility to religion, converting to Christianity. Irony often being the difference between what we expect and what actually is. That historically, Stalin was a one-time seminarian and cynically used religion during WW2 doesn't eliminate the irony in the caption unless, perhaps, in the game, Stalin was at war and converting to Christianity boosted his populations' morale, and then instead we might caption it, "Art mirrors life."

The Orthodox Church was re-established during Stalin's period and remained so during the rest of the period of the USSR, although it was never positively encouraged. Other churches, such as the Catholic Church in Lithuania or the Baptists, were repressed to the extent that although they could freely practice they were not allowed to educate or propagate their teachings in any meaningful way. Khrushchev deliberately embarked on a campaign of destroying shrines and other relics but other more cynical leaders were less directly oppressive. The Church, however, was either pressed into the service of the regime (e.g. the "peace" movement) or could only operate as a passive cultural organisation with access restricted to older people. Major cathedrals such as St Isaac's in Leningrad/St Petersburg, the gorgeous Lutheran churches in Riga and St Casimir's in Vilnius were made into museums or concert halls and although churches were still built in Lithuania during the Soviet period (Queen Mary of Peace in Klaipeda) they were more or less all expropriated by the state on completion.

Stalin however stopped the outright and complete suppression of religion which had been a bulwark of Soviet policy from 1917 until the outbreak of war (destruction of buildings, desecration of holy sites, imprisonment of clergy and so on). Given how cynically religion is used in this game (mainly as a diplomatic bargaining chip and a means to make people content or happy), I propose that this is what the game means when it says "Stalin has converted to Christianity".

BTW Jonathan...I liked that book too...who is the person writing in your signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom