Turtle ship spam by Korean AI

BorisTheCat

Chieftain
Anyone ever seen this sort of behaviour from an AI before? This is happening in a peaceful (boring) game on emperor difficulty. The only fighting that ever took place was Greece taking out Mongolia, way before even navigation was researched.

When I found the main continent, Sejong was the tech leader by several technologies and already had a couple turtle ships in the water. He looked to be heading for a science victory. But now Alex is ahead of him by one tech. He's got a very respectable land army, scattered pretty evenly through his lands, not massing on the Korean borders or anything.

Alex did camp out 4 frigates and a galleas in that bay there between me and Korea, with another somewhere in the ocean. Yes, he was plotting to attack Egypt and Byzantine. But building !! 22 !! turtle ships and two frigates to guard Korea's four coastal cities seems a bit heavy handed to me... Not to mention Korea's behind Alex by one tech now (who's in turn behind me), so perhaps all that energy building ships could have been better invested.

You should bribe Korea yo attack Alex. I always do that when an AI starts building army/navy enmass. :p

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Admiral Yi Sun-shin(inventor of the Turtle Ship) should be proud.

I had a thought that maybe my nau spam caused Korea to freak out. Nope... In an earlier save from before I started pumping out naus to offload cargo and gift to CS, Korean coast was still flooded with ships.

I see this as a bug. There is absolutely no use for that many coast-bound non-ranged ships. And if Alex declared on Sejong, all those turtles would just have to shuffle anxiously as their country is gobbled up, unable to do much of anything.

You can see here Korea is all coastal; every city is coast and its on a long narrow strip of land on one side only.

I wonder if that had anything to do with its decision to build so many. Maybe it's fighting with a Civ on another continent?

No i definitely also have never seen the AI build that many of ANY kind of unit. And youd think they would start upgrading/replacing them with privateers which they obviously must have access to since they built frigates.

I found Sejong doing the same when I was playing as Shaka the other day. He had about thirty or so around his capital. Turtle ships don't last long against subs and battleships though...

Sejong entered the Modern era while everyone else was in Medieval in my game. Ordinarily he's not THAT far ahead, but this time around his immediate neighbor, Shaka, apparently fought a protracted war with Attila, who razed all cities but Ulundi, leaving Sejong to peaceably build up a lot of cities with science. For the rest of the game I was around 12% behind Sejong in tech, but I still got a Diplomatic victory before Sejong made his last spaceship part. Guess why no one attacked him: he had a mighty army and a mighty navy. Kind of rare for Sejong, ordinarily he's one of the AIs that are wiped out early, but Zulus ironically fell into that place in this game.

I'm guessing this is the normal amount of Navy the AI on this difficulty builds. It just looks more than with other AIs because turtle ships can not enter deep ocean, so it's all concentrated around his own shallow waters, whereas the navy of other AIs is scattered all around the world so they have 100% map vision all the time, have all their caravans safe and make turn times awfully long.

You've got an insane amount of ships there - not just the Koreans. Look at those frigates up top. Is that the Portuguese?

Perhaps the ai decided to treat it as a caravel when producing and saw the expanse of unexplored ocean.
So they built one but then after building it knew it was coast bound so it goes into the same repetitive circle.
But I'm not 100% sure

Sejong entered the Modern era while everyone else was in Medieval in my game. Ordinarily he's not THAT far ahead, but this time around his immediate neighbor, Shaka, apparently fought a protracted war with Attila, who razed all cities but Ulundi, leaving Sejong to peaceably build up a lot of cities with science. For the rest of the game I was around 12% behind Sejong in tech, but I still got a Diplomatic victory before Sejong made his last spaceship part. Guess why no one attacked him: he had a mighty army and a mighty navy. Kind of rare for Sejong, ordinarily he's one of the AIs that are wiped out early, but Zulus ironically fell into that place in this game.

One of my defeats in BNW was Sejoing winning by SS, more or less the same scenario. Huge techlead for him.

He's hit or miss but he is a stronger AI opponent than he gets credit for.

Looks pretty good strategy for an AI. I`d be quaking in my virtual boots if I came across that.

Top Bottom