My empire is depressed...

AW Arcaeca

Deus Vult
The title says it all. In most of my recent games I can't seem to keep my people happy. It seems also to be quite unavoidable - I could make my cities stagnate to stop getting unhappiness from pop growth, but that's a bad idea for very obvious reasons. I also don't usually spawn near luxury resources - usually 2 max.

That said, when coliseums, circuses and a few luxs aren't enough to keep your people happy, and you can't depend on SPs because they only come around now and then (unless you're going cultural) , how else can you keep your people from complaining about how much they hate their lives?

Find some mercantile CSs and make them your friends. Choose happiness related religious beliefs.

Find some mercantile CSs and make them your friends. Choose happiness related religious beliefs.

Yea, I`m FINALLY learning this. Getting City States to be Allies has really changed from going into a negative downward spiral into loseland to actually doing quite well into the Modern Era. I didn`t really understand just how much trade with these states made people so jolly.

I don`t have religous stuff even.

If you have a strong military. You could always go to war :c5war: and conquer cities to make your people happy. Specifically, targeting cities that have a lux you don't have. And cities which contain happiness wonders like Notre Dame. Also, don't be afraid to raze useless cities you capture.:c5razing:

And another cheesy way is to cherry pick Patronage opener & Consulates. (And have pledged to protect every Merch city state on the map). -> Free +3 happiness for every merch city state on the map. (If you also pledge to protect all the other types, you'll also get a significant food boost to the capital [used to be considered massive before sea cargo food routes], culture, faith, and military units.)
That same type is also a great place to send a spy to if you're still having happiness issues even after that consulate boost. (Unique luxury type not found anywhere else)

Yea, I`m FINALLY learning this. Getting City States to be Allies has really changed from going into a negative downward spiral into loseland to actually doing quite well into the Modern Era. I didn`t really understand just how much trade with these states made people so jolly.

I don`t have religous stuff even.

City States are by far the easiest way to get the mass happiness I have found. Just take Consulates and Pledge to Protect and you're halfway to allying every Civ include the happy jolly ones.

If playing vs Greece it will be harder to ally city states.

Here are some other tips:
  • Always trade your extra lux away either for other lux or 240 gold
  • If desperate see if you can build Notre dame, Forbidden palace and possibly other wonders that give happiness.
  • There are some religious beliefs that can help
  • Some civs have extra happiness buildings (Egypt's burial tomb is a strong building for instance)

Which difficulty level are you playing?

Top Bottom